Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF Mobile & Accessories | CHAMELEON V2 HF/VHF/UHF Multiband Antenna Help

Reviews Summary for CHAMELEON V2 HF/VHF/UHF Multiband Antenna
CHAMELEON V2 HF/VHF/UHF Multiband Antenna Reviews: 13 Average rating: 4.6/5 MSRP: $199
Description: CHAMELEON V2 HF/VHF/UHF Multiband Antenna™

Covers 6m, 10m, 11m (Citizens Band), 12m, 15m, 17m, 20m, 30m, 40m, 60m & 80m +2M/1.25M/70cm (144MHz – 500MHz)

Description:

As our excellent CHAMELEON V1 HF/VHF/UHF Multiband Antenna™, the optimal antenna length for Ham Radio frequencies is 102” as this represents one quarter of a wavelength. However, mounting a 102” (8.5 foot) antenna to a vehicle is usually not always an option. The V2 is made for vehicles without available strong antenna mount support locations, height restrictions due to low overhead obstacles or just an esthetical look. Made of premium fiberglass tubing and at approximately 4’2” high, our CHAMELEON V2 HF/VHF/UHF Multiband Antenna™ has been designed specifically to address those very common problems. Designed with a similar coil traps system technology used for the Chameleon V1, the Chameleon V2 doesn’t require any adjustments on the antenna after installation. To change the operating band the operator will only have to activate an antenna tuner. The Chameleon V2 is 50% smaller that our Chameleon V1 and offers an HF/VHF/UHF antenna alternative for Ham operators desiring to have HF/VHF/UHF capability on their vehicles. Due to its short length (4’2”), the better the ground plane, the higher the antenna on the vehicle and better will be TX/RX performances. Good mobile antenna knowledge and proper antenna installation (grounding and ground plane) are required for good Chameleon V2 performances. Mounting location is a difficult topic to advise upon due to each individual’s unique circumstances and preferences. As for general guidelines and optimal performances, 2/3 of the antenna should be above the roofline. An antenna mounted higher on the vehicle tends to perform better. And it will be critical that the antenna mount be well grounded to the vehicle chassis because it is the “metallic” masse right under the antenna and not on the side of it that define a good ground plane.

CHAMELEON V2 HF/VHF/UHF Multiband Antenna™ Specifications:

Frequency Range: 80/60/40/30/20/17/15/12/11/10/6M + 2M/1.25M/70cm (144MHz – 500MHz).

Max Power: 150W
Connectors: 3/8-24
Size: 4' 2” High
Requires a Tuner
More info: http://www.chameleonantenna.com

You can write your own review of the CHAMELEON V2 HF/VHF/UHF Multiband Antenna.

N0TES Rating: 5/5 Feb 9, 2011 07:45 Send this review to a friend
Mobile DX on the 2-80 Meter Chameleon V2 Antenna with Mount Kit  Time owned: more than 12 months
When I bought the V2 Mobile Mount Kit last week and installed my Chameleon V2 Antenna on it, I started to hear something I had never heard before; DX stations! Here's a YouTube video of the 3000 mile QSO made to Barbados.
Last night I was able to have a QSO with Japan on 20 meters. The reason that this is happening is because the V2 Mobile Mount Kit places the Chameleon V2 Antenna above the roof and establishes a good ground. I had always been able to have state-side QSOs, but am now DX QSOs from a 4'2" 2-80 meter antenna! I am also very happy that the V2 Mobile Mount Kit uses all stainless steel & powder coated hardware, plus it came with everything needed to install the Balun in-line, including enough coax to run the installation from the back of my SUV-under the seats-all the way up to the radio mounted under my dash. I recently installed a Diamond Duplexer on the back of my Yaesu FT-857D and now I use the Chameleon V2 Antenna, and occasionally my V1, for all my mobile operations.

W7RNA Rating: 5/5 Nov 4, 2010 10:53 Send this review to a friend
Successful Portable Ops  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
"I decided to try it on the roof of my office, about 20 feet up, mounted on an abandoned steel non-penetrating satellite mount. A hail storm of a couple of weeks ago damaged my 40 meter ham stick up there, so I tried the V2 with the balun. It's up in the air, in the clear, and apparently the large sat mount is massive enough and ground enough for the rig to tune it very well. SWR, depending on the band, is as follows:

4:1 on 3950
2.5:1 on 7200
3:1 on 14150
2:1 on 21350
2.5:1 on 28325

I did get a signal report on 80 meters of 5/5, at 60 miles distant at 3:00 in the afternoon, followed by a 5/7 report on 7183 out of Southern California. That seems pretty good for a small antenna like the V2 mounted as it is. I have yet to try other bands on transmit. Since I have to operate in "stealth" mode, the V2 is ideal."

VE0MAW Rating: 5/5 Oct 30, 2010 13:05 Send this review to a friend
I made a very fast installation of this antenna on my mast  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Follow the complete instructions and forget about the guys telling you it won't works...
I am presently in Bermuda's Islands with my Beneteau 50 sailboat. The Chameleon V2 is on the top of my 66 feet high mast. I'm using an Icom 710 RT SSB radio with the AT 130 tuner. I got excellent signal report almost every morning at 14 118 with a station in Montreal, on the 20 meters band. I also use a Pactor 3 modem that allowed me to access my e-mail almost every day between Norfolk and Bermuda on the 20 and 40 meters bands.

Great antenna... and so small... Mast as to be well grounded (in my case on a keel's boat)