Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Vertical, Wire, Loop | Hy-Gain 18-AVT/W8-A Help

Reviews Summary for Hy-Gain 18-AVT/W8-A
Reviews: 2 Average rating: 4.0/5 MSRP: $approx $150 in 1982
Description: 5 band vertical antenna 10-15-20-40-80 meters. Requires no radials for ground mounting

You can write your own review of the Hy-Gain 18-AVT/W8-A.

W8IFI Rating: 4/5 Jul 16, 2015 20:28 Send this review to a friend
An old version and quality good,   Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had one that I bought around 1970. Worked well on the garage roof but not so good ground mounted. Managed to keep it with me for years in my basement through several location moves. Finally put it up last summer ground mounted with 4 radials. (One terminated with a brass screw in a tree.) Radiation shields from Home Depot under the radials on the ground surface. Works well! Nomenclature shows it as a 18AVT/WB-A (not W8A).
Anyone else try radiation shields? aluminum foil works too. If you can get one of the older
production antennas I think you'll be happy.

G4RNW Rating: 4/5 Feb 9, 2010 13:03 Send this review to a friend
convneient but needs good conditions  Time owned: more than 12 months
I purchased this antenna new for a previous QTH when I first got my licence. Its advantage was that it took up little space on the ground yet would cover 5 x popular bands. Like all verticals it has no gain but does offer low angle take off which is fine for DX when conditons are good, but performance is poor in low sunspot activity years.

The 10 to 40 meter bands are easily tunable as the SWR remains fairly low at the edges of the bands and is about 1.5:1 or less in the middle.

The 80 metre coil and whip however needs care to tune as it is very sharp and a good ATU is required to benefit as the SWR at the edges is of course v high.

Also this component, unlike the rest of the antenna, is poorly made and I have twice had to disassemble it, re-solder the wiring and repair the coil former with Araldite adhesive (Twin pack available in UK)

Eventually I gave up and as spares for this antenna were no longer available from HyGain, I replaced the coil and whip with a Hustler RM-80 which works just the same and appears to be much better made.

Otherwise it still works fine and I would recommend this type of antenna for anyone short of space.