Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF Mobile & Accessories | Moonraker SPX100 Help

Reviews Summary for Moonraker SPX100
Reviews: 3 Average rating: 3.3/5 MSRP: $99
Description: SPX 100 - 9 Band Plug And Go HF Portable Antenna

You can write your own review of the Moonraker SPX100.

M0TCF Rating: 0/5 Dec 15, 2015 16:37 Send this review to a friend
Garbage; Don't Waste Money  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I've been putting together a 'RAYNET' portable station - a grab and go type system, comprising an 817, LDG ATU, spare batts etc. all mounted on a framework inside an ex military bergan. I spotted this antenna and (like you do) thought it might solve a lot of the problems associated with multi-band operations, esp as I'm only working QRP. It arrived and my initial impression wasn't that good, the overall construction is cheap, the telescopic section is made from the cheapest possible item available and as a consequence the second time I put it away the third section bent.............It also came with a couple of adaptor fittings, none of which looked as if they could stand up to a single days use out in the field! Now the most damning part; the instructions! A single sheet of A4 with virtually nothing of use on it, except a small table giving recommended antenna lengths and jumper settings. The jumper cable itself is a flawed design, again made from cheap and nasty materials, (mine for some reason had a split in the wire half way along) not something you expect out of the box.

For a giggle I decided to put this 'item' on my MFJ Analyser, a giggle it wasn't (que discovery of broken jumper wire). After an extended period of measurements, messing around and head scratching, not to mention double checking lengths with two tape measures, I came to the gloom conclusion that I'd wasted approx 45 of my hard earned cash on something I wouldn't bother stirring paint with - I couldn't find a resonant frequency within any of the ham bands, the SWR etc. varied wildly depending on if I held the analyser or put it on the desk, leaving one to only guess what was really a true reading!

What would I choose to get over this one, if I had the choice over again, knowing what I do now?? Compared to this item, a damp piece of string would be an improvement...... 73's Lin M0TCF
MM6CCY Rating: 5/5 May 9, 2014 09:01 Send this review to a friend
Very Good !!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Relay well made little antenna, had this for about 3 months and made lots of contacts on 40m and 20m using only 4w from my hb1b, But the best of it is the antenna has been sitting on my living room table hi hi, though a counterpoise is a must for the best performance and lowest swr.

Would i recommend this antenna, for its size and performance, its very low price of 45 then 100% yes. Great antenna, even comes with all the adapters you need.
M3FLP Rating: 5/5 Feb 10, 2010 04:12 Send this review to a friend
Amazing.!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased this from Moonraker for my Yaesu 817. It goes into my Magmount & onto my Honda CRV. There is a banana plug lead to connect two holes together depending on the band you want to use. Then just extend the whip right out to 48 inches.

The first time I used it after much success with my Wonderwand Widebander, I got a 5/7 report straight into Bulgaria on 20M, 2.5 watts. To say I was happy is an understatement.

It comes with loads on adaptors to connect BNC etc. straight onto my Yaesu 817 for true portable operation but I prefer the Magmount option and when I am in the middle of nowhere, I have my Wonderwand Widebander (way better than my old Miracle Whip).

I was originally going to get seperate mobile whips for 20 & 40M but this does them all, VERY WELL.

Get one and be amazed, there are good videos on YouTube with great success too.

This antenna is a bargin!