Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Yagi, Quad, Rotary dipole, LPDA | Hexbeam: G3TXQ by MW0JZE Help

Reviews Summary for Hexbeam: G3TXQ by MW0JZE
Hexbeam: G3TXQ by MW0JZE Reviews: 59 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $£475.00 + Shipping
Description: Description: A six band broadband Hexagonal Beam Antenna designed by Steve G3TXQ and manufactured in the UK by Anthony MW0JZE. Comparable performance to a full size two element yagi on bands 20M – 6M with no tuner needed! Antenna is made in a pre-assembled form meaning a quite assembly time with no tuning involved, just assemble and mount to your mast. Full spec can be found on Anthony’s web site wwwg3txq-hexbeam.com Price Ł475 GBP plus shipping
More info: http://www.g3txq-hexbeam.com

You can write your own review of the Hexbeam: G3TXQ by MW0JZE.

VK5SA Rating: 5/5 Dec 2, 2014 13:16 Send this review to a friend
Fantastic  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Ant supplies everything needed, and assembly is logical and quick.

It is of heavier-duty construction than you would expect from reading about it, and all components are purpose-built for this antenna.

VSWR bandwidth in my installation is all of 20/17/15/12m.
My internal ATU (IC-7410) cuts in at around 29.2MHz, and I cover all of 50MHz at less than 2:1 VSWR.

Initial on-air results are very promising, with solid S9+ signals both ways long-path to Europe and the US/Canada on 20m, when I could just barely hear the stations on my 10m vertical.

Local noise is reduced, too.

I have a very small yard, so even a 3-element tri-band yagi would not fit, and the Hexbeam just fits, hence the decision to purchase.

I am glad that I was forced to go this way, as performance is great, and I have the added bonus of 17/12/6m.

UA9CDC Rating: 5/5 Aug 21, 2014 11:15 Send this review to a friend
Very nice and reliable  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had this antenna up for more then two years now. Quality is excellent. Putting it up took less then one hour. No tuning were required. Front to back ratio is well over 20db. The antenna has withstood winds, snow, temperatures below - 30 C and even ice storm. I have made well over 50 000 QSO in many contests during this period of time and sure can recommend this antenna as the second antenna for SO2R or as the main antenna for those who wants light weight and easy to handle beam covering 6 bands with only one coax.

OK1BIL Rating: 4/5 Jul 30, 2014 10:05 Send this review to a friend
Excelent build quality  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The Hexbeam was lent to us for the MJ0ICD DXPedition to Jersey island. I was very suprised with the ruggedness of the antenna - forget about fishing poles, this is made of ~3mm wall plastic pipes and the mounting plate is a factory made heavy duty aluminium. I would put this on a permanent mast at home without any concerns. The only drawback we had was the insluators on two bands which did not withstand some corona while transmiting. I would personaly change the insluators for some PTFE. But still very good antenna.

We had a chance to compare this with Spiderbeam: Spiderbeam is made of fishing poles, is twice the size, half the gravity, about the same weight in total. Performance-wise the Spiderbeam seemed to be superior to Hexbeam as it has more than two full size elements on most of the bands. On the other hand, the footprint is big and I really cannot imagine using Spiderbeam as a permanent antenna. Great thing about the Hexbeam is that it can be set up in less than 30 minutes if you already assembled it before and you know what you are doing - complete opposite of the Spiderbeam - it takes few hours to get the thing up in the air.

Another thing what I like about the Hexbeam is the 6m option. Although only 2 elements it is essentialy a free extra which can get handy if you do not have a 5 element yagi for 6m laying around.

What I have to point out is communication with Ant, MW0JZE. It has been a great pleasure - nothing is problem for him!

GI0JHR Rating: 5/5 Jul 12, 2014 10:01 Send this review to a friend
175 New Countries in 6 months  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
THE HEXBEAM by MW0JZE. I have had it now for 6 months so this is an update. I got DXCC in confirmed countries last week but I have just today worked my 175th country and need 3 states for WAS. I have a small garden and the Hex is only up 35 feet! Being only a weekend DXer I wish I had more time for the hobby. The results from the antenna speak for themselves. Ant (MW0JZE) is happy to answer questions long after the sale has been made. Excellent after sales service.

Harry GI0JHR
ps Look at the map at the bottom of my QRZ page to see all my contacts

ON5PDV Rating: 5/5 Jul 11, 2014 23:41 Send this review to a friend
Extraordinary antenna !  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
It is for sure no coincidence that you hear more and more people working with a Hexbeam, they are truly remarkable antennas. I've replaced my 3-element yagi (Hy-Gain TH3-MK4) for a 6-band broadband Hexbeam (design G3TXQ by MW0JZE) and I'm extremely satisfied with the results. To be able to work all 6 bands with high efficiency (and good SWR without the use of a tuner) results in very strong signals worldwide. I can't remember to have received signals from US West Coast or Japan coming in that strong, on my previous yagi. The built quality is very solid, and assembling the antenna is easy as everything is pre-drilled, cables are at length, pieces are labeled and Ant has nice videos demoing the installation. It took me 1,5 hour, taking all the time of the world. I would recommend the Hexbeam to anybody being able to put up an antenne 6,5m wide. Mine is installed 9m high, but I'm confident you can get good results at lower heights as well. It's the best investment if you are into HF, if large HF beams are not an option due to space or budget restrictions

M0RCX Rating: 5/5 May 29, 2014 00:39 Send this review to a friend
Well Built & Excellent  Time owned: 0 to 3 months

There are so many reasons for purchasing an Antenna that is fit for purpose and tailored to your individual operating circumstances. I recently flew out to Mauritius and required a lightweight yet effective directional antenna that I could use of HF and 6 meters. After much research and reading of similar reviews I opted for the Hexbeam Antenna.

Prior to purchase I contacted Anthony MW0JZE and discussed size and weight constraints for carriage on Civilian Aircraft and I was pleasantly surprised that the whole antenna shipped would fit nicely into a padded snowboard bag and conformed to Airline Baggage Size regulations.

On arrival at my destination I was particularly impressed with the build quality and attention to detail that Anthony had put into this product and have to say it simply was first class.

Assembly was a breeze and made straight forward with the informative assembly videos provided on his web site.

A check with an analyser prior to placing on the mast showed the antenna resonant and SWR as advertised and thats with me stood between the elements. Up in the air it was even better.

Again restricted by weight constraints I had opted for a lightweight TV rotator to turn the beam and was again incredibly impressed that the antennas's lightweight build rotated effectively on such a device.

Initial checking of the antenna were made switching PSK on to 20 metres and the whole bandwidth came alive with sharp strong traces which I was unable to achieve previously using wire antennas.

Propagation was not at It's best during my time QRV but despite this the MW0JZE hexbeam provided solid contacts to the majority of the world.

In summary the antenna is extremely well built, it is lightweight, it is almost a plug and play resonant antenna, the pre order and post order customer service from Anthony is exceptional.

I would certainly recommend purchasing one so much so that I have left mine in Mauritius for another local HAM to use and I am purchasing a second later this year.

Robert
M0RCX
3B8/M0RCX

EA3EWO Rating: 5/5 May 28, 2014 10:06 Send this review to a friend
Excellent  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I had the Hexbeam from Ant MW0JZE and had it on the ground, built and waiting for a Hiab to arrive to install on my mast (easiest option)I worked JP7BNO on SSTV from four feet off the ground.
I always thought my 80-6 Windom was good, but the Hex surpassed all, just no comparison.
Easy to build, back up from MW0JZE second to none, I cant fault it, six broadband HF antenna, EXCEPTIONAL.

MI5RJS Rating: 5/5 Apr 8, 2014 06:03 Send this review to a friend
Broadband 6 Band Hexbeam  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I got my G3TXQ broadband 6 Band Hexbeam about 4 weeks. Have it in air since 25/3/2014 and boy does it work, working stations that I had never heard before and a lot quieter than the Cushcraft MA5B Beam that the Hexbeam replaced.
Anthony (MW0JZE) kept me posted from I ordered it to delivery of the beam and has still being in touch about the build as and when I let him know how I was getting on, He is excellent at his job building this light weight beam the construction is second to none and as for putting it together everything is all marked just plug and play and away you go.
the SWR is excellent on all bands no need for a tuner.
I would say to anyone who is thinking of buying a beam and no wanting to spend a fortune this is the beam to buy light weight very very easy to built and will fit into any small garden.
no tuning or alterations needed just built it and start working all the stations you never heard before.
I congratulate G3TXQ Mr Hunt for designing this broadband beam and MW0JZE for making this beam and making the video's on how to construct it.
I think they should be both be awarded in some way for there excellence 5/5 all the way for materials used in the beam and not forgetting that you can contact Anthony anytime no matter how long you have the Hexbeam and he is always glad to help.
To sum up my experiance of the Hexbeam so far.
The hexbeam is an excellant light weight beam with six band 20m to 6m with no need for an ATU easy to construct with very good ears and if you hear a station you will work it.
Thank you Anthony and Mr Hunt for putting together an Excellent HexBeam.
don't think about it go and buy one Hi Hi

VR2XMT Rating: 5/5 Mar 6, 2014 23:40 Send this review to a friend
A++++++ Antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have been using Hexbeam since two years ago, which is the product from USA. However, three months ago, I decided to put it down and replaced with the antenna from Ant. Please don’t ask me why! However, if you have a chance to use and compare the two, sure you can find the difference, especially your QTH have strong wind or big typhoons... etc
Well, the antenna from Ant is well made and easy to install and everything working perfect. Although it has a minor problem with the spacers at the very first beginning, Ant action very quickly and sorting out all the issues promptly. Thanks Ant for this great antenna and your excellent support.
People keep asking me what antenna I’m using. I am proud to tell – “ It is the product from Ant, MW0JZE”
73 Charlie
VR2XMT

ON4BAR Rating: 5/5 Feb 24, 2014 09:53 Send this review to a friend
This product is AmazinG  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
After having used different yagi antennas (KT34XA, Hygain Cushcraft, Fritzel...) I could not believe the result of de Hexbeam…
In the meantime, I am the owner of a Hexbeam G3TXQ built by MW0JZE. If you listening to the receiver, you can not imagine that you go with only a 2 element antenna.
The results are super, it means that all signals I hear, I also can work them, not all the strong one’s but importantly, also the very weak signals. Likewise a pile up is even very good to get true. Good SWR curve on all bands. The antenna is only 12 meters above the ground level. While I used height and had to use custom resources to draw up the heavy and large beams, this can now with a simple siphon construction.
It is not necessary to spend large sums of money to antennas that on paper turn out to be magical ... Try the Hexbeam and you will surprised by the result.
You can know if you have one.
73 Nico.