Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Yagi, Quad, Rotary dipole, LPDA | Hexbeam: G3TXQ by MW0JZE Help

Reviews Summary for Hexbeam: G3TXQ by MW0JZE
Hexbeam: G3TXQ by MW0JZE Reviews: 75 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $£475.00 + Shipping
Description: Description: A six band broadband Hexagonal Beam Antenna designed by Steve G3TXQ and manufactured in the UK by Anthony MW0JZE. Comparable performance to a full size two element yagi on bands 20M – 6M with no tuner needed! Antenna is made in a pre-assembled form meaning a quite assembly time with no tuning involved, just assemble and mount to your mast. Full spec can be found on Anthony’s web site Price £475 GBP plus shipping

You can write your own review of the Hexbeam: G3TXQ by MW0JZE.

EA4SE Rating: 5/5 May 24, 2015 19:52 Send this review to a friend
PERFECTA   Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Increible prestaciones , yo antes he trabajado con logoperidica de 8 elem y esta antena no tiene nada que envidiarla , me a sorprendido el poco ruido que recoje es muy silenciosa y con unas prestaciones en el dx escepcionales , sinceramente en relación calidad precio no se puede pedir mas , el montaje es sencillo no tiennes que ajustar nada.Yo le monte su balun original y los refuerzos centrales , creo que despues de años y varias antenas , es la antena masa completa y con el rendimiendo mkas optimo en todas las bandas que tube.
M0OXO Rating: 5/5 May 21, 2015 00:19 Send this review to a friend
Very impressive  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
This new antenna replaced my original 6 Band Hexbeam as it now offers wider spaced elements (increased vertical spacing between the wire elements eliminating any chances of inter band interaction) and also a folded dipole for 40m with a separate feed-line allowing it cover 7 Bands (6, 10, 12, 15, 17, 20 & 40M).

I erected the antenna a few weeks ago but this was the first real 'CQ' tests on SSB. The results on the first session were extremely good. I had an hour on 20m SSB and the first reply was KN4YZ/AM. Lynn was at 38,000 ft in a Boeing 767 flying over California. Further calls from W0, W4, W5, W6, KH6, ZL2BAQ, VK2, VK3, PY8, AL7 and across to RA. The final contact was Din YB8RW/p on IOTA OC-273 (20 CW). All in all very happy indeed and a good hours work.

The next day I had a longer, 3 hour session and fired up on 15m SSB with a view to working JA. I logged 114 JA stations with plenty of other DX from the Far East, several in the Pacific and also FW5JJ. At this stage I have not had chance to try the 40M element on TX too much, just a few NA and Caribbean stations so far. However, if the TX is as good as it looks on RX then 40m will do me just fine.

I am extremely happy with the antenna from both the performance to the build quality. This truly is a great antenna and a happy alternative to the previous 2 element SteppIR which the original version replaced.

If you are interested in any of the Hexbeam Antennas by Ant MW0JZE (including the new Ultra-Lightweight (6Kg) D-Hexpedition Antenna) then take a look at the website on this link I would certainly recommend any of his products.
2E0ZMX Rating: 5/5 Apr 9, 2015 13:54 Send this review to a friend
Brilliant   Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have had my Hexbeam from MW0JZE for 8 months now and its brilliant, its very well made and constructed with the best components. I have it installed on a 12 meter Tennamast and I am working the world with 50 watts thank you for such
a compact well made HF beam.
GM0FGI Rating: 5/5 Feb 4, 2015 11:14 Send this review to a friend
Excellent  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
For many years used home constructed VK2ABQ wire beam but got fed up of remaking each spring after winter storms. After research decided to purchase MW0JZE's Hexbeam just over a year ago.
Very easy to construct lightweight yet strong. First year's impression was that performance was marginally better on 20m and 15m than VK2ABQ but got an additional 3 bands and much better performance on 10m. Has withstood weather conditions at my seaside location until January this year when winds recorded at 6ft were up to 50km/hr, so would have been much higher at hexbeam height, caused 10, 15 and 20m elements to flap in the wind. Closer inspection showed that the elements had not fractured but that the nuts holding the elements on to the centre post had come off. Ant provided me with spare nuts and serrated washers to reduce vibrations. The elements have now been re-attached and we are back in action.

VK6WB Rating: 5/5 Dec 24, 2014 17:17 Send this review to a friend
QUAAAALITY ...  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bough this antenna about 14 mount ago, but have not install till 24/12/2014, as I have HEX Beam made by K4KIO still on the mast. I take K4KIO down
and make some comparison ..and what a lots of deferent in quality material, its miles apart. and
Vswr on this MW0JZE lots better then K4KIO.
Thanks To Antony such high quality product and perform really well. I will buy another one for spare.
M6GOM Rating: 5/5 Dec 23, 2014 03:57 Send this review to a friend
A year on still going strong  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had mine well over a year now and it still looks like the day I put it up. The tuning hasn't moved, there's no signs of any splintering in the arms and it just looks like it did when I put it up in the air.

Over the last year its stayed up at 10 metres height during gales where we've had gusts of over 70MPH and its taken them in its stride. In fact I've been more worried about the mast than the antenna.

Performance has been great. W2YP 5/5 with just one watt on 20m SSB, I've also bagged Argentina - 7500 miles - on 17m SSB with 1 watt. Front to back rejection is good as well and its nice being able to silence the wall of Europe. Here's a Youtube video of me getting through a pileup to AU3NIAR, 4155 miles away, on 10m with a President Lincoln 10m set with just 21W:

Here's another where I busted a pileup to Indonesia to a portable station, over 7600 miles, barefoot 100W whilst the antenna was just up at 20ft getting 5/9+10dB report!!!!!

Ant is currently in the process of developing a 7 band Hexbeam which will add 40 metres but unfortunately it will be too large for my QTH or I would have no hesitation in buying it.
VK5SA Rating: 5/5 Dec 2, 2014 13:16 Send this review to a friend
Fantastic  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Ant supplies everything needed, and assembly is logical and quick.

It is of heavier-duty construction than you would expect from reading about it, and all components are purpose-built for this antenna.

VSWR bandwidth in my installation is all of 20/17/15/12m.
My internal ATU (IC-7410) cuts in at around 29.2MHz, and I cover all of 50MHz at less than 2:1 VSWR.

Initial on-air results are very promising, with solid S9+ signals both ways long-path to Europe and the US/Canada on 20m, when I could just barely hear the stations on my 10m vertical.

Local noise is reduced, too.

I have a very small yard, so even a 3-element tri-band yagi would not fit, and the Hexbeam just fits, hence the decision to purchase.

I am glad that I was forced to go this way, as performance is great, and I have the added bonus of 17/12/6m.
UA9CDC Rating: 5/5 Aug 21, 2014 11:15 Send this review to a friend
Very nice and reliable  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had this antenna up for more then two years now. Quality is excellent. Putting it up took less then one hour. No tuning were required. Front to back ratio is well over 20db. The antenna has withstood winds, snow, temperatures below - 30 C and even ice storm. I have made well over 50 000 QSO in many contests during this period of time and sure can recommend this antenna as the second antenna for SO2R or as the main antenna for those who wants light weight and easy to handle beam covering 6 bands with only one coax.
OK1BIL Rating: 4/5 Jul 30, 2014 10:05 Send this review to a friend
Excelent build quality  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The Hexbeam was lent to us for the MJ0ICD DXPedition to Jersey island. I was very suprised with the ruggedness of the antenna - forget about fishing poles, this is made of ~3mm wall plastic pipes and the mounting plate is a factory made heavy duty aluminium. I would put this on a permanent mast at home without any concerns. The only drawback we had was the insluators on two bands which did not withstand some corona while transmiting. I would personaly change the insluators for some PTFE. But still very good antenna.

We had a chance to compare this with Spiderbeam: Spiderbeam is made of fishing poles, is twice the size, half the gravity, about the same weight in total. Performance-wise the Spiderbeam seemed to be superior to Hexbeam as it has more than two full size elements on most of the bands. On the other hand, the footprint is big and I really cannot imagine using Spiderbeam as a permanent antenna. Great thing about the Hexbeam is that it can be set up in less than 30 minutes if you already assembled it before and you know what you are doing - complete opposite of the Spiderbeam - it takes few hours to get the thing up in the air.

Another thing what I like about the Hexbeam is the 6m option. Although only 2 elements it is essentialy a free extra which can get handy if you do not have a 5 element yagi for 6m laying around.

What I have to point out is communication with Ant, MW0JZE. It has been a great pleasure - nothing is problem for him!

GI0JHR Rating: 5/5 Jul 12, 2014 10:01 Send this review to a friend
175 New Countries in 6 months  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
THE HEXBEAM by MW0JZE. I have had it now for 6 months so this is an update. I got DXCC in confirmed countries last week but I have just today worked my 175th country and need 3 states for WAS. I have a small garden and the Hex is only up 35 feet! Being only a weekend DXer I wish I had more time for the hobby. The results from the antenna speak for themselves. Ant (MW0JZE) is happy to answer questions long after the sale has been made. Excellent after sales service.

Harry GI0JHR
ps Look at the map at the bottom of my QRZ page to see all my contacts