Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Yagi, Quad, Rotary dipole, LPDA | Hexbeam: G3TXQ by MW0JZE Help

Reviews Summary for Hexbeam: G3TXQ by MW0JZE
Hexbeam: G3TXQ by MW0JZE Reviews: 63 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $£475.00 + Shipping
Description: Description: A six band broadband Hexagonal Beam Antenna designed by Steve G3TXQ and manufactured in the UK by Anthony MW0JZE. Comparable performance to a full size two element yagi on bands 20M – 6M with no tuner needed! Antenna is made in a pre-assembled form meaning a quite assembly time with no tuning involved, just assemble and mount to your mast. Full spec can be found on Anthony’s web site wwwg3txq-hexbeam.com Price £475 GBP plus shipping
More info: http://www.g3txq-hexbeam.com

You can write your own review of the Hexbeam: G3TXQ by MW0JZE.

DJ3ZF Rating: 5/5 Dec 27, 2013 03:38 Send this review to a friend
A really great antenna!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
After a couple of years in amateur radio with simple wire antennas I wanted to work with a beam.
I decided for the Hexbeam, because it covers 6 bands, has a small turning radius, is lightweight and quite simple with no traps.
The construction of Ant, MW0JZE, satisfied me with its proper coaxial center post instead of using several pieces of coaxial cables.
I had to wait some weeks for delivery, but therefor all parts seemed to be well done. And there was a good communication via e-mail with Ant, thanks for that!
I only changed the delivered zincked U-bolts to those made of stainless steel, which I found at www.ukw-berichte.de (I had to open them a littlebit, but that was quickly done).

Now the Hex is in the air for 3 months, 14m above the ground and 4,5m above the roof:
Good SWR on all six bands, it survived the autumn storms uncomplainingly, and outperforms clear my ZS6BKW wire antenna for DX. A really great antenna!

GI4FZD Rating: 5/5 Dec 24, 2013 12:11 Send this review to a friend
Great Aerial by MW0JZE  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have had one of Ant's hexbeam up in the air for almost a year now and I must say
it is one of the best investments I have made in Amateur radio.

I use it mostly on 17 meters and have been surprised with the number of hex to hex
contacts I have made around the world including a lot with less than 10 watts using a
KX3.

I have had various aerials up at this qth over the years MA5B, TA33Jnr,cobwebb etc and I am delighted not only by the superior performance and the build quality of the hexbeam but also the service that I got from MW0JZE.

I use the hexbeam attached to an Anan-100D driving a KPA500 solid state amplifier and I
don't need to worry about a tuner as the hexbeam is less than 1.5:1 across all bands 20 meters to 6 meters.

This has got to be the best bang for buck out there at the minute and I would thoroughly reccomend The G3TXQ Hexbeam by MW0JZE to anyone.

Ask Santa for one..you never know.

73 to all
and a Merry Christmas
Paul
GI4FZD

ON8VP Rating: 5/5 Dec 24, 2013 08:23 Send this review to a friend
NO REGRETS  Time owned: more than 12 months
Ordered a few sets for portable use, as base antenna and for some friends. None of us regret having bought! Assembly is simple and straight forward, takes only 1 hour, materials are best quality, small size for big results, SWR below 1:2 on all bands and for the whole bandwidth.
I can contact all that i hear and signals on the other side are astonishing ! You can put them higher on the mast because smaller footprint and less weight( 9.5 kg). Very easy to keep in good condition . It does not move in stormy weather , SWR does not change either when it rains.

To all the XYL, the perfect Christmas present.....

ON8VP and company

G8CDD Rating: 5/5 Dec 24, 2013 08:04 Send this review to a friend
Be Warned :-)  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
SERIOUS WARNING: To anyone contemplating buying the G3TXQ Hexbeam by MW0JZE

OK: Excellent service from a guy who obviously cares about his customers.
OK: Custom 35mm stub mast supplied with no hassle; to fit my SCAM12 mast.
OK: Email warning when shipped and it arrived the next day, beautifully packed.
OK: Easier to assemble than the washing line that it stands next to.
OK: Loads up from my FT950 on all bands... no hassle.

BUT... Why is there no warning that you are going to need a new atlas to find
all those places you never heard from before?
(Sorry, I should have posted this earlier so you could put out some hints for Xmas.)

ON4ADN Rating: 5/5 Dec 24, 2013 07:41 Send this review to a friend
Super antenna  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
After having great beams all kinds I was thinking about dismantling the great beams and going for a small version. I saw a lot of beams but the Hexbeam was for me : small and with a good compromise. I bought 2 of those antennas and the result was amazing, I could hear all the DX stations just as before !!! We had only 1 problem because in ON we may use legal 1500 watts power but 1 insulator cord was melting down. Togeter we made a solution and Ant made some insulators for high power and now there is no problem anymore even test with 1500 RTTY --> problem fixed !! This antenna is one of the best I ever used, simple to build and the power using is anymore a problem. But the best thing is if you have a problem, just send a mail to Ant and within a short time you will get a answer. This a 5/5 !!!
1 is standing on + 40 meter and with a storm off + 125 km/hour --> NO problem !!!

ON8ON Rating: 5/5 Oct 8, 2013 12:13 Send this review to a friend
:-) Satisfied at 100%  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Satisfied at 100%

Advantages of one Yagi 2 elements full size but with a reduced size. Very Light for 6 bands !

Real pleasure when you change from band ...
no tunning needed , all the bandwith with max. swr 1.2/1 ... or less, usual 1.0/1 at 20m agl

( on 29.600 Mhz 1.6/1 that the max swr ... )

Nice FB and about 5 to 6 dBi gain

My first impression; she is more ''quiet'';
i am down-town, and with the grounded configuration less static / qrn that with my not grounded mini yagi ZX2000.

Anthony de MW0JZE one man with real Ham-spirit!

Try this HEXBEAM from Anthony and you will understand the 5/5

73 to all, hpe cu on the air - YVES de ON8ON -

G6TUH Rating: 5/5 Sep 25, 2013 09:58 Send this review to a friend
Worth it..  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Hi, I installed MW0JZE Ant's hexbeam earlier this month. It took awhile to arrive but the communication was good. The antenna is well made and took an hour to put together. Its works very well indeed, small footprint in the yard and switching between my SteppIR vertical and the hex gives and edge of 2-3 S points sometimes. Ant forgot one thing in my order - the ice support cords and fixings. When I reminded him he sent the fitting free of charge but I paid anyway as I am so pleased with the antenna. Good production, good antenna, good service hence 5/5! Mike G6TUH

MM0OVV Rating: 5/5 Sep 15, 2013 07:50 Send this review to a friend
Hexbeams Are No-Brainers  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Single element for each band and no traps is a very efficient way of putting RF into the air and low maintenance.

Low profile is relative I feel but to my eyes the Hex is quite pleasing on the eye on my roof compared to other two element beams. Also I would say that if you decide to buy one and your building it in your back garden, the antenna looks smaller in the the air, I have mine around 10 meters up on the roof.

From my research before I decided to purchase a Hex so far I would suggest that most gain statements for Hex's are conservative. When I'm speaking to folks in far away lands, America for example, they can't believe I'm pushing 50 watts into an antenna and I'm going back to them on S9s and 9+s

I shall put this one down to coincidence, as I wouldn't want you to think that the Hex comes with Rose Tinted Glasses. Since I have started using the antenna i'v had more "good audio" reports "BBC quality audio" than I have ever had. I used long wire antennas, Carolina Windom antennas in the past.

I'm of the train of thought that there's a decent bit more to antenna design than just a low SWR, after all you'll get an excellent 1.1 right over the whole HF spectrum with a 50 ohm resister. For what it's worth it's a 1.1 on the 6 bands rising sharply on the very end of the 6 meter & 10 meter bands going to 2.

I go around these days with a large smile on my face when it come to my Amateur Radio its even made me appreciate my old radio even more (TS 2000).

However it would be fair to admit that I have never been spoiled with big radios and bigger antennas and that I'm not one for contests on the bands. I can't compare this antenna to a multi band 4 element yagi, but my gut feeling is it would represent its self very well.

The MW0JZE Hexbeam.

I am taken in my personality to things that concentrate on detail. To the moment the Hex arrives at your address you can tell that the person behind this is a perfectionist. The way it's neatly packed. The quality of the materials, the quality of the build. When you have it finally built in your back garden, I took four nights to build after work, I like to take my time over things, could be done quicker and is very easy to build. You can tell that this thing is going to work and work well before you have put a single watt near it. I would like to think that it will sustain Scottish whether but time will tell on that one.

MW0JZE
Good at keeping in contact and answering questions you may have.

Best £500 pounds I have ever spent on the hobby.

On the cost I would recommend using the aluminium masts suggested, a cage, a good solid rotor , I used a yaesu G650, you'd probably get away with a lighter rotor and 2 TK brackets to take into the equation.

I0QGR Rating: 5/5 Sep 11, 2013 12:21 Send this review to a friend
a good choice !  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The antenna arrived at the right time expected, packed with great care. Excellent construction cured in every detail. easy to assemble with accurate instructions and videos available. Fully functional at first run with quite flat SWR (AA54 tested). Ant is very responsive to any question.
I really think it is a good choice to install an useful antenna in a minimum space with a good performance. A full 5/5 to the project, builder, service and support ! Enjoy with the hexbeam !

MM6AVE Rating: 5/5 Aug 14, 2013 13:59 Send this review to a friend
WOW!!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I ordered my new 6 band hexbeam from Ant after many months of looking at what was on the market for a small typical uk mid terrace council house garden around 45ft X 30ft and side by side with other tenants. Originally I was looking for a small 2 element beam and there were several around me which I looked at carefully and researched how they performed until I finally decided to go for the hexbeam coz of recomendations from those that owned them. It finally arrived and I can only say WOW. I had been using a very tired and aged XY minibeam for 10-15-20 with what I considered to be good results until Ant's hexbeam was hoisted atop my 21ft scaffolding pole which I use as a mast. Plugged it in and bang my rig sprang to life immediately, all of a sudden I was hearing countries I had never heard before with amazing signals. I jumped straight in and started calling and I was getting 59 reports back, and these were stations I struggled even to hear before. I was gobsmacked quite honestly. Everyone says they are easy to put together and it truly is childsplay as easy as lego, built in no time at all. He advertises "plug & play" and it is just that. Build it put it up and away you go, no cutting or tuning, pruning or faffing about. SWR flat on every band and over the whole band or as near as makes no odds. I am thoroughly delighted with this amazing antenna and I would highly recommend anyone regardless of space to get one of these marvels. Well done Ant superb quality on a superb design, excellent customer service and real value for money thank you.