Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Hand-held | TYT UVF1 dual band Help

Reviews Summary for TYT UVF1 dual band
TYT UVF1 dual band Reviews: 18 Average rating: 3.8/5 MSRP: $$110
Description: VHF/UHF dual band handheld with DTMF, alpha numeric display, FM radio, tri color display, keyboard or software programable, 128 memories.
More info: http://www.tyt888.com

You can write your own review of the TYT UVF1 dual band.

AK1NS Rating: 2/5 Jun 30, 2011 01:17 Send this review to a friend
DISGRACEFUL DOCUMENTATION  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
If you're going to market a product to English speaking portions of earth, it MIGHT be a good idea to have SOMEBODY with more than just a rudimentary understanding of the language assist you in the preparation of a manual and software documentation. TYT hasn't bothered with this detail. Even the software Help File is in Chinese. Plan on spending MANY hours deciphering, interpreting, trouble shooting numerous undocumented errors, com port failures, bad .rar files, etc. -> Do Buy the Nifty Manual for field use.<- Still suffer with the software. The radio works fine, seems well built, but is generally counter-intuitive and consistently receives low audio reports. Divide Low Cost by Wasted Effort, and you're time is valued at 50 cents an hour by TYT.

KD0OVP Rating: 0/5 Jun 16, 2011 06:12 Send this review to a friend
What garbage  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
New to ham radio but not stupid. Been around it my entire life as my dad has been a ham for years. He has built many of Heathkits and can fix anything. I have built and fixed many computers. I got this ht and was told in reviews here that you need the software. As stated in many other reviews the manual is worthless. it only tells you how to turn things on and off. Not what the settings meant. The manual buttons didn't match the radio. The manual had a u/v button and the radio had an a/b button. And the a/b button didn't work like the manual said the u/v button did. Onto the software. Once again absolutely worthless. Had a list of settings but didn't list what the settings meant. Even though I have been around hams for years I never got into details or used a radio until I was licensed. So as for programming a radio I was very green. The software assumed and expected you to know what you are doing. After several hours of googling I was able to get a couple of repeaters programmed. Got so frustrated I gave up until my dad got home. After 2 hours of him trying to figure out unsuccessfully we both agreed that the best was for me to return and exchange for the FT-60R. So glad I did. Was worth the extra $40.00. If I would have chose the FT-60R first I would have prevented hours of frustration. Just want a real radio. I only had the TYT for 2 days. When I returned and told the salesman about the issues he said oh let me show you how to use TYT. I said no, don't want to know, don't care. I wouldn't recommend this radio to my worst enemy. Save your time and frustration and buy a real radio first. You definitely get what you pay for. And to think I thought I was being thrifty saving a measeley 40 bucks. I would recommend everyone staying away from all TYT products. Wouldn't even try a Wouxum after my TYT experience.

W0FMS Rating: 4/5 May 9, 2011 14:16 Send this review to a friend
Cheap but Good...  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
It does take a little getting used to. The HT is setup primarily as a Land Mobile rig and because if that it programs like a Land mobile rig.

Once you figure it all out though, it makes perfectly good sense on how everything works. I bought the programming software and haven't yet used it!

I paid $99 for it. (Yes a 5W dual bander!) A new battery pack and charger for my old FT-50 was more than that (and yes, both failed).

The "battery eliminator" option I purchased lets me run it as a mobile in the car, which for as much as I run VHF FM mobile was perfect.

I'd actually give it a 5, but it's "different" on programming and the TX audio with the built in MIC is just a scosche low on deviation. However, I get really good "clear" audio reports with the rig this way and I see no reason to try to tweak it.

The supplied LiIon charges fast and it can charge in the car with a cigarette cord. Blind hams would probably like the fact that the rig can be set to nearly 100% speech synth mode and most functions can be done with your eyes literally closed. This can be turned off for the rest of us.

All in all, it is pretty impressive for the price.
Unlike some of the Chinese HT's it has a standard (not reveresed) thread SMA on it. Build quality is good but it doesn't quite feel as solid as a Yaesu. It would likely hold up as well, however.

Works fine. If you need special stuff, like D-Star, GPS and APRS, spend 4x as much.. what can I say?

KJ4CMA Rating: 3/5 Feb 5, 2011 18:33 Send this review to a friend
Great deal  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased this as an impulse buy simply to have 70CM capabilities.

The good:
-It's cheap and it works.
-The "battery eliminator" is a $20 accessory that plugs into a cigarette lighter and mounts in place of the battery. While it doesn't charge the battery, it allows you to transmit while plugged in, a rare feature on HTs. This, in combination with a remote mike and external antenna make it useful for a mobile install that could also be run in it's HT configuration, essentially giving you 2 radios in 1.
-When in channel mode, it's easy and intuitive to use.
-Remote mike capability
-Charger stand
-Programmable, and the software is extremely easy and intuitive.
-Good frequency range, including NWS WX. (WX is not channelized on the radio so you have to know the frequencies.

The bad:
-The whole interface is nothing short of horrible, except when programmed using the software and operated in channel mode. Without the software I would have returned it the day I got it.
-The manual is a prime example of horrible.
-It feels cheap. I'm not sure how well it would withstand being dropped from waist high.
-Repeater offsets must be programmed.

The saving grace, at least in my mind, is the ability to program it from the computer. The software allows you to set up "channels" so you can input a repeater, the offset, the PL, and even set the TX power, VOX on/off, etc specific to that channel, so you could have all your repeaters (and simplex frequencies) preprogrammed into the radio, and just flip through channels, great for mobile operating since everything is set. Programming directly on the radio is insane, but the software is surprisingly intuitive and easy to use.

The bottom line is that you get an inexpensive, yet versatile radio. Program the radio on your PC, and enjoy. Note that because of the difficulty in setup, I would NOT recommend this to a new ham.

G8WWD Rating: 4/5 Jan 14, 2011 08:28 Send this review to a friend
Excellent value  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Excellent value dual bander which gets great audio reports. For under £100, the price is quite honestly unbelievable and the build quality is very good. Just as good IMHO as some of the "big three" manufacturers' kit. So they should be seriously worried by the sudden availability of these Chinese radios from TYT, Wouxun, Quansheng, Luiton, & co.

It DOES have memory scan, contrary to another reviewer. Simply press and hold the U/V key to put the radio into memory mode. Press Menu, Scan, Menu again and it scans memories. But I do agree that the VFO scan is far too slow!

Now the negative bits. The manual is not the best, although I have seen worse! You just have to get your head around what the writer is trying to say, which sometimes means reading it 2 or 3 times before it sinks in. I guess my attempts at Chinese would be a lot worse than his English!

The operation is not intuitive with the menus. For example I find if I want to mess with settings, I have to take the manual with me. Having said that, the same was true of my previous Alinco handie!

KD0BEP Rating: 4/5 Oct 16, 2010 23:12 Send this review to a friend
Excellent value for the experianced ham!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have had the opportunity to test out this wonderful radio. I was given permission to bring this radio home and play with it for a few days before returning it back to display.

The quality of the components in this radio is unbelievable for it's price. The quality is just as good if not better than most of the radios already on the market. The construction is also the same but lighter. The radio has a well built chassis with a plastic exterior.

The operation of this radio is somewhat complex. The manual is somewhat poorly translated but still can be interpreted with little thought. They use some really odd terminology for things in the menu that may take sometime to get used to. The radio doesn't come with automatic repeater shift which is a slight downer for the new ham.

The transmit quality is unbelievable. With the supplied rubber duck I compared it to some of my Yaesu handhelds (VX-8DR and VX-170) at 5 watts and the response was always the same. The TYT sounded better. It has an average receiver, about the same as the VX-8DR but it does seem to receive the FM broadcast band just as well without the antenna which seems somewhat odd.
The dual monitoring or receive feature, whatever they are calling it,actually works fairly well. To me it sounds just like a normal dual receive transceiver. The radio can also listen to two frequencies and well as am FM broadcast station all at the "same" time. This is similar to what the VX-8 series can do.

The great part about this radio is that with formal permission it can be used on certain business frequencies which make it nice for ARES and RACES operation. (Red Cross, hospitals, EMS, etc.) Think about it, that sounds like a good buy for the RACES operators.

All in all I would say this is a great radio for the money. For the new ham, I would suggest something else unless you are sure you can be responsible with your new "freedom" but for the seasoned ham, this makes a great radio as a spare for the shack or one for RACES.

SV6BAT Rating: 3/5 Aug 29, 2010 12:13 Send this review to a friend
No Ham radio friently  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The unit was purchased a few days ago, out of curiosity what can offer such a low cost device. So Iíll say only my first impressions of it. First, the manufacturer and merchants should indicate that the device is not recommended for amateur radio use. I say this because it has some very serious drawbacks such as:
1) There isnít MEMO scan function ! !
2) The VFO scan is so irritating slow (!) Which are essentially useless.
3) There isnít possibility for external power!
4) The functions 2 & 5 tone signaling is embedded in the device but does not activating without the low cost programming cable of about Ä 10,00 (NOT in the package) Also this function while strongly advertised no mentioned in the manual.
In the relatively poor operators manual describes in detail some functions obvious (step selection) or stupid (display color selection), while others are described briefly or not at all (5T, 2T).
The TYT TH-UVF1 is a well made radio. Performing effectively simple communication functions where there arenít high expectations.
Finally, Iíll keep the radio for backup, and to remember that for radio amateurs are suitable machines (even if manufactured in China).

Returning to my earlier reference to add the following:
There is an additional accessory to connect the transceiver with an external power and of course is sold separately at a cost of Ä 12,00.
The programming cable is sold Ä 18,00 (I ordered one but it wasnít available).
Considering that famous modern radio amateur TRCVs are near high class, I think it is a waste of money to purchase such exotic transceivers because the price difference compensated by the relative quality plus the purchase of additional components.

ZL1RD Rating: 5/5 Mar 23, 2010 23:20 Send this review to a friend
4.5  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
This is the latest dual band radio from China with DTMF! This unit has excellent receive audio quality, good transmit audio, and superb build quality!
The radio offers significant ease of programming over the Wouxun model, in that you simply key in the frequency, the offset and the offset direction. Very elegant!

The unit comes with a 1500 ma hr lithium-ion battery giving fabulous battery life, and a smart drop-in charger. Even better, a cable is supplied with a cigar lighter plug on the end and the 2.5 mm plug fitting the charger on the other, so the radio battery can be charged directly from a vehicle.

The radio has excellent VHF and UHF frequency coverage, being able to listen to the FM broadcast band, and on UHF receives only up to 520 mhz.

Keep in mind this radio has only one VFO, and thus is not a true dual bander. The first signal received takes control and effectively blocks any other signals on either band.

The radio is excellent value for money.