Reviews Categories | Receivers: General Coverage | Sangean ATS 818 / Realistic DX 390 Help

Reviews Summary for Sangean ATS 818 / Realistic DX 390
Sangean ATS 818 / Realistic DX 390 Reviews: 47 Average rating: 4.0/5 MSRP: $175
Description: Nicely priced Good Rx. for the dollars
More info: http://www.sangean.com

You can write your own review of the Sangean ATS 818 / Realistic DX 390.

KI6OSH Rating: 4/5 Feb 17, 2013 22:44 Send this review to a friend
Great entry level receiver  Time owned: more than 12 months
Bought this receiver back in the early 1990's and it has provided many hours of interesting radio reception. I'm sure it won't compare electronically with any of the actual ham receivers but not bad for the money. Plus FM and AM bands also. Quality very good and still in use here in my shack.

W2DAB Rating: 4/5 Feb 17, 2013 07:51 Send this review to a friend
Great little receiver  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have had really good luck with this RadioShack version since it was gifted to me by a fellow ham and friend. I don't have an illusions that this will be as sensitive as units costing hundreds more, but for what this is going for on eBay I would gladly buy another. Nice for keeping in the kitchen and casual listening with a cup of joe.

G7NTG Rating: 5/5 Mar 14, 2011 12:51 Send this review to a friend
good value for money!  Time owned: more than 12 months
l bought a DX390 new about 16 years ago and it has performed very well ever since. l must say that l have always used an antenna tuner when using an external antenna so l have avoided the static problems. l removed the telescopic antenna and fitted a bnc socket and use either a bnc telescopic or my dipole for 80 metres.
l have had QSO's using it with a telescopic with a QRP homebrew transmitter.l always liked this set!

BXLISTENER Rating: 4/5 Jan 22, 2011 10:17 Send this review to a friend
Good allrounder  Time owned: more than 12 months
I owned a Sangean ATS818 ACS for about 8 years and it was a good all round broadcast receiver. I used it almost daily and in the end the timer became faulty but the radio still worked fine. The tuning knob would chuff when band scanning and this was the only flaw that really bugged me. For general non-DX listening it was really good. It is a simple radio to use and I really miss it now that I no longer have it. I'm sad that it is no longer in production.

WA2DZO Rating: 4/5 Dec 29, 2010 15:33 Send this review to a friend
The Digital part is best  Time owned: more than 12 months
When I got mine Digital tuner radios were becoming more affordable. Analog radios were just as or slightly more sensitive. Always used an unbalanced antenna with an grounded isolation transformer or a pre-amp so it sill works like the day I bought it. I live in the North East and get Radio Australia in the Morning on the built in antenna! With its length of service and flexibility I can't complain. Audio is is communication quality, not wide enough for my music tastes. I like it enough to not need a replacement but I have ham rigs with overleaping capabilities.

KD7RDZI2 Rating: 2/5 Dec 22, 2010 17:43 Send this review to a friend
yes, the MRF102!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I bought this big portable in 1994. It lasted something like 6 months. Using it with an indoor wire antenna it suddenly become insensitive, probably it lost 40db. I waited something like one year and many callphones and meetings to get a replacement. Now it is clear that is a common problem so a better design at the front-end would have solved the problem. At that time I did not know anything about electronics so I did not adventured in repairing a product under warranty. Otherwise this radio would deserve a 4/5, sensitive, good albeit a bit muffled audio and prone to be overloaded.

N7JBH Rating: 4/5 Jun 2, 2010 09:40 Send this review to a friend
Big but functional  Time owned: months
I picked up two of these on Ebay for about $30 each. Both had no receive, the first one was an easy fix, Q1 replacement, the second still doesn't play even after replacing Q1 (MRF102)and will need further troubleshooting. I use the good one with my 40 meter 1 watt Vectronics QRP CW transmitter kit at work! Made lots of QSO's using a random length end fed long wire run between two HVAC units on the roof, no tuner. Must be the good counterpoise (all the metal ducting) in the building. As a "beater" radio it's fine, it also serves as a frequency counter for my old tube "boatanchor" rigs.
N7JBH

KC2DIS Rating: 4/5 Mar 19, 2010 18:37 Send this review to a friend
a great choice used  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
First off BE CAREFULL with static around this thing. I bought one off of ebay that I payed 50$ for that the guy said was in great working shape only to find it deaf on sw. I replaced Q! with an MF102 and was back in business! Now it is a great radio! Much better than the dx 160. I find it sensitive with a length of wire I have pinned up indoors. The only reason I gave it a 4 was becasue the audio is muted when scanning and the light stays on for a very short time and the keypad is not illuminated making it hard to see in the dark. There are mods for these problems though. If you can find a deaf one cheaply scarf it up and swap out q1 with an mpf102 for 1.59 and youve got yourself a great radio. Keep a supply on hand though should it get fried again! Happy DXing !

PINESTUMPSAVAGE Rating: 2/5 Jan 2, 2010 07:05 Send this review to a friend
Nice Radio, Poor Sensitivity  Time owned: more than 12 months
This radio offered a lot to me when I still used it years ago excepting for one thing; sensitivity on any band.

Everything about this radio was good; the build, sound, features, etc. But the sensitivity on any band was sub-par. I replaced the Sangean with a Yachtboy 400 and have never used the Sangean again.

In all fairness, I may have gotten a dud. Everything was good on the radio except reception; wait a minute, thats why we buy them right? :)

KC8MZW Rating: 5/5 Jan 24, 2009 10:12 Send this review to a friend
5/5  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is a 125 buck radio that I bought at Radio Shack some 10 years ago. Great audio on FM and SW. It runs off from D-cell batteries and that is a real plus for long run times. It is not a Icom R-71-A or even a Yaesu FRG-7. But for a portable that gives you SSB via a BFO you just can't go wrong. It just works and gives you plenty of "bang for the buck". I only wish that I had this fine a portable radio when I was in Europe many years ago. I have a Icom 756 Pro-2 and also a Grundig YB-400. This is the receiver that you want.