Reviews Categories | Interfaces, Radio to computer, amp, rotor, coax switch, internet | Digital Voice Access Point (DVAP) Dongle Help

Reviews Summary for Digital Voice Access Point (DVAP) Dongle
Digital Voice Access Point (DVAP) Dongle Reviews: 27 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $249.00
Description: The DVAP, produced by INet Labs who brought you the DV Dongle, is similar to many of the homebrew D-STAR Hotspots. The device is used for simplex operations, but it does connect to the gateway. The DVAP plugs into your Windows or MAC OS X computers via the computer's USB port and uses the internet connection to communicate with the D-STAR gateway. The DVAP has a very low-power signal at only about 10 mW. Itís similar to the functionality of a simplex Echolink link node. The deviceís 10 mW signal on the 2-meter band is intended to reach only a few hundred feet, but it allows you to use your D-STAR HT away from the computer around your house or around your neighborhood at low power.
More info: http://dvapdongle.com/

You can write your own review of the Digital Voice Access Point (DVAP) Dongle.

N3CAL Rating: 5/5 Jun 12, 2014 11:16 Send this review to a friend
Fantastic Device!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This device is amazing! I have the 440 mhz version coupled with a Raspberry Pi running Linux. I replaced the dummy load stubby antenna with a external Slim Jim antenna and I now can walk around my entire neigborhood, (1.5 mile radius) and work the world on my Icom-ID31a HT. I also use this setup in the mobile (ICOM ID-5100A) with my 4G android phone. Theres no need for a repeater. It doesn't draw much power and has been a solid performer. If you want to get into DSTAR I highly reccomend this.

VE6EFR Rating: 5/5 Mar 28, 2014 12:25 Send this review to a friend
If you have a DSTAR radio, you need one of these  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I am very pleased with the 70 cm DVAP that I use with an Icom 31A.

While there are several repeaters in the Edmonton area I really don't like the idea of linking a repeater to a reflector which would then keep someone else from being able to use the repeater for something that they want to do. Or worse, I link to a reflector and a few minutes later someone else comes along, unlinks the repeater and then links it to a reflector that I have no interest in listening to.

The DVAP is exactly what the doctor ordered. I can link anywhere I want to go and not have to worry about other users getting frustrated. Plus I can take it with me when I travel and not have to wonder if I will have a gateway nearby for me to access.

The software that AA4RC provides does a great job with getting you connected. While there are other options available such as DV Node (also known as WinDV), the creator of that software package is not very responsive to customers. I have let him know that there was an issue with using his software with both the DV Dongle and DVAP however other than him asking a question about what hardware I am using he has yet to reply to any of my email. So I suggest staying with the DVAPTool software and you will be very happy with your purchase.

M6TXP Rating: 5/5 Jan 3, 2014 13:48 Send this review to a friend
very usefull  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
After buying a second hand icom ic e91 cheaply, i had to do something as i could only hit one dstar repeater with 5watts
This was with the HT connected to my diamond x300n colinear on a 10ft pole on the roof
With the money i got off everyone for xmas i thought i would buy a dvap instead of the blue dongle as i have the icom ic 91 anyway
Now i have the 2m version dvap running with the dutchstar software (win dv) and can access all the repeaters and reflectors worldwide while i sit on the sofa with a cup of tea
Very easy to set up even for a dstar newb like me
If you cant get any repeaters in your area you really need one of these, i can walk round the house talking to people worldwide
Maybe a little expensive in the uk, but after using one it,s less expensive than a dstar mobile radio so works out cheaper
If you dont have a dstar radio then buy the blue dongle
Recommended, yes

Paddy 2E0TXP

N2MWE Rating: 5/5 Nov 23, 2013 07:14 Send this review to a friend
A must have  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
The best part of this is that it works with a Mac. I have it in the bag with my MacBook pro, works flawlessly. I can now demo D Star at work. I know Windows is a standard, but I really wish there were more amateur "toys" that were Windows AND Mac compatible.

KA7QQV Rating: 5/5 May 14, 2013 09:06 Send this review to a friend
this is awesome   Time owned: 6 to 12 months
this is awesome I run the unit with my Raspberry Pi 35$ computer and Robins software
This beyond my Dreams no more tying up another computer

plug at work or home and start playing d-star
**** on my low power Icom 92 handheld all day long

KK9H Rating: 5/5 Mar 18, 2013 10:51 Send this review to a friend
Very clever device!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I had heard about these units for a some time and I finally bought a 440 version last week. I have been absolutely delighted with it. Within the last six months I have taken two trips, one was to an area where no D-Star repeater existed and the other was to a locale where all the repeaters were permanently connected together to cover a huge geographical area. In each case I would have liked to have been able to talk to my D-Star friends back home, but with the wide area D-Star system I didn't really want to tie up such an enormous area with just my QSO. In each case I had access to WiFi and a DVAP would have been the perfect solution. My DVAP arrived this last weekend and I have been really enjoying using it with various reflectors and my local D-Star repeater while running my HT at its lowest power setting. It is truly a very clever device.

N4UED Rating: 5/5 Jan 9, 2013 20:25 Send this review to a friend
2M DVAP  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have used the DVAP since Sept.2012 .
I started out with the stubby antenna . It does well around the house with the 92ad on slo power .
I next connected it to a copper j-pole hidden behind the curtain on the 1st floor of our home .
This provided increased coverage .
I tryed it with my diamond ant at 40 ft . This works best of all . I have taken my laptop , dvap and 92 to other hams homes to demonstrate d-star . This is a good educational tool for hams introducing school children to ham radio . Take it into the class room and they are talking to others around the world . I purchased this first because I had never heard of a hotspot . Even though my hotspot is my choice around town , I am not selling the dvap . It is just to simple to use . See you on REF 001 C . Chuck N4UED

ZL2UFI Rating: 5/5 Dec 21, 2012 17:40 Send this review to a friend
Great addition for D-STAR users...  Time owned: more than 12 months
I live in the capital city of New Zealand, and my local club was gifted an ICOM ID-RP4000V UHF Repeater and the ID-RP2C Gateway.
Initially this was run as a standalone D-STAR system. An ID-RP2000V VHF repeater was added a short time later. While the club
was working out how to get the internet to the remote site I brought the VHF DVAP. I used this time to get the jump on the other
D-STAR users so that when the Internet Gateway was installed I would know all about linking and unlinking from the D-STAR network.

As with many other users of D-STAR most of my initial problems where with the registration process. Once I had this sorted all was OK.

I have found that the support area is one of the big advantages of this device - Robin Cutshaw AA4RC really goes the extra mile for people.
He fully supports his products and makes all the difference when you get stuck.

I have disconnected the included stubby antenna and connected to my tri-band vertical. I can now use the DVAP from at least a
mile away from home (1.6 kms). I can easily walk around my house and yard without issue, the range is great. All this means I can run
my IC-92AD or ID-31A on super low power of 100 mw's thereby having plenty of talk time from the batteries of the handheld.

If you are thinking of whether these are any good or not, they are... its that simple. I have used them in the USA, Australia and New Zealand,
even from public WiFi connections, so you are never out of service so to speak.

As a test, I did this... DVAP to my netbook via USB. Netbook to my iPhone 4s via bluetooth to the internet. ICOM ID-880H to the
DVAP while mobile to Reflector 001, channel C. Lots of RF there, and it works! In New Zealand there are very little D-STAR repeaters,
so having a DVAP is a must until the holes are filled (may take many years!).

Never missed a beat - 5 out of 5 for me!

I have since brought the UHF DVAP to go with my ID-31A - I had to wait for Robin to update the software so I could remain compliant
on 430-440 MHz down here in ZL, as it initially only transmitted on 440-450 MHz. After the software was updated it now transmits on
421-450 MHz. As a work around I used WinDV but quickly returned to the DVAP Tool after the update. I have loaned out my
DVAP's to other users and all of them have since brought or are about to buy one. These are just great add ons to any D-STAR RF
user regardless if you have a D-STAR repeater close by or not.

I have owned the UHF DVAP since October 2012.

G7IDJ Rating: 4/5 Oct 11, 2012 13:06 Send this review to a friend
Problem Solved  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Hi Again,

A few days ago I wrote a bad report about DVAP due to the problems I had getting registered on the DStar system.
In the end I complained and begged for help at:
www.d-staruk.co.uk
Which I think but I am not sure is a website run by Icom. Anyway within a day I got registered and I could start using my equipment.

Now the DVAP other than the initial installation problem with the missing DLL was no problem at all. Once it fired up and the radio was fed with the correct settings I could access some Reflectors and repeaters which I programmed it for.
Interestingly I couldn't hit remote repeaters via an internet gateway using the local repeater.
So if you want to work internationally and you have none or just a flaky DStar repeater in the neighbourhood DVAP would most certainly be the answer for you.

I like the ability to drop the power down from 10mW to even 1mW to limit the range possibly just to your property.
In some strange way the DVAP in conjunction with your handheld or mobile does feel like real radio.
I can confirm that the range seems to be 100m without a problem. I have also noticed that the antenna supplied is not resonant. So kitting it out with a resonant antenna I am sure would improve the performance significantly.

The main point is - I got my registration problem sorted. You may find this a challenge as well if you just get into DStar.
If you live in the UK you have now got a website where people actually respond and are willing to help you.

In summary:
DVAP ideal device if you want your own mini gateway or defacto repeater to connect to nodes throughout the world. Simple to operate once the software is installed.

Registration is a problem but persevere. Once you are on the system you will enjoy it.

The world of DStar is still a bit of a mystery to me and there is steep learning curve but it is worthwhile I think.

If you can, go for it!

Michael
G7IDJ/DL6MS

W3NRL Rating: 5/5 Sep 28, 2012 19:17 Send this review to a friend
dvap 70 (440)  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
my wish came true:::::
The deviceís 10 mW signal on the UHF 70cM band is intended to reach only a few hundred feet, but it allows you to use your D-STAR HT away from the computer around your house or around your neighborhood at low power.

Internet Labs