Reviews Categories | Interfaces, Radio to computer, amp, rotor, coax switch, internet | Digital Voice Access Point (DVAP) Dongle Help

Reviews Summary for Digital Voice Access Point (DVAP) Dongle
Digital Voice Access Point (DVAP) Dongle Reviews: 27 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $249.00
Description: The DVAP, produced by INet Labs who brought you the DV Dongle, is similar to many of the homebrew D-STAR Hotspots. The device is used for simplex operations, but it does connect to the gateway. The DVAP plugs into your Windows or MAC OS X computers via the computer's USB port and uses the internet connection to communicate with the D-STAR gateway. The DVAP has a very low-power signal at only about 10 mW. It’s similar to the functionality of a simplex Echolink link node. The device’s 10 mW signal on the 2-meter band is intended to reach only a few hundred feet, but it allows you to use your D-STAR HT away from the computer around your house or around your neighborhood at low power.
More info: http://dvapdongle.com/

You can write your own review of the Digital Voice Access Point (DVAP) Dongle.

KQ4KK Rating: 5/5 Sep 27, 2012 18:11 Send this review to a friend
UHF DVAP coming  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The VHF DVAP is great. The UHF DVAP starts delivery on Oct 1, 2012. HRO is taking orders now for the UHF version.

W3NRL Rating: 5/5 Sep 27, 2012 16:54 Send this review to a friend
Ya but!!!!  Time owned: months
I agree with the previous hammer it sounds great but i like to use my 31a as well

KA9JYO Rating: 5/5 Jun 15, 2012 15:12 Send this review to a friend
great device  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Everything is good, except I would like a unit with UHF, so I can use my Icom ID-31A. Maybe Robin Cutshaw AA4RC will get this message, I know many hams agree.

W6PSA Rating: 5/5 Jan 29, 2012 08:42 Send this review to a friend
DVAP is great!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have been using the dvap on D-Star for a month now and it works great! I live in a area without D-Star and it work flawlessly. I am using a cable modem and D-Star DUTCH software to run the radio. Google, or ask some hams about, Dutch software.

On the radio, make sure you are using the 2nd VFO and select DV Mode(Digital). FM is the default mode on the radios.

W2UIS Rating: 5/5 Dec 31, 2011 11:25 Send this review to a friend
WOW!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Using this device with my Icom ID-880H, MacBook Pro and DSL Internet service. I'm working world wide DX via the internet without the need to being in the foot print of a D Star repeater.

KI4EKI Rating: 5/5 Mar 21, 2011 07:06 Send this review to a friend
Dongle UNPLUGED!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Inet has got a winner here.

Took no time to setup, Worked and tested in both
windows and linux (Ubuntu) Worked like a charm!

ONE POINT TO MAKE- Then i'll get off my soapbox

It would be a crime IF the open source community
and inet did not follow through with this item!

One little windows program i saw (For Testing)
called "DvapFM.Exe" put said device into analog
mode and does a very nice job of testing said
device (Loop-back/Xmit & Receive testing)
but the program does show what could be
done with this either way- Analog or Digital!

Yet another was a Java App for just the same thing
only in d-star mode, and yet theres more!

One last note; it would be my hope- along with
others i've talked with that inet would come out
with a dualband and or a 100mW version

Also a repeater option would be nice for linking
on the fly.

[Soapbox mode:Off]

Once again a Buy or not Cry option for the D-Star
users!!

-Richard Rivenbark
-Randin Confed Radio Group (KI4EKI)

KF9L Rating: 5/5 Oct 21, 2010 19:58 Send this review to a friend
Couldn't be better  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is the most amazing piece of equipment to come my way. I was scepticale at first, but i took the plunge and got the DVAP and if i seen this work like it does for me when it first came out i would have bought the first one off the line. It is easily setup within minutes and works great even on DSL internet, but i use it most on broadband cable and mobile 3G broadband. I give this the highest rating you could give for this product. You wont be dissappointed with the results you get. It would be nice to see a dualband version of this product come out to give you the option to use both 2 meters and 440 frequencies through the DVAP.

VK3BA Rating: 5/5 Aug 14, 2010 21:58 Send this review to a friend
Ripper of a deivce  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Purchased from HRO Atlanta via Mark KJ4VO in April. It was easy to install, easy to use and is an excellent solution to access to the D-Star world, especially if you don't have any existing RF access to repeaters. It's different but same as the DV-Dongle. With the DV-Dongle, you're tethered to your PC. But with the DVAP, you can roam around with your mobile or portable radio to access your DVAP and the greater D-Star system. This little red box operates on 2metres. I reccommend to to any D-Star user who wants better and more flexible access to the system and who wishes to get more out of their D-Star hobby. I hope there's a 70cm version coming soon!! Plenty of these are in use in Australia.

VE7TKO Rating: 5/5 Jul 29, 2010 21:33 Send this review to a friend
The best thing since sliced bread.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased my Digital Voice Access Point (DVAP) Dongle from HRO in Oregon while I was on my holidays in June 2010. This thing was up and running with a minimal amount of effort. Other family members were often complaining about my ham radio interfering with their TV programs. The low power output of the DVAP Dongle will not interfere with TV reception. My HT will not heat up, because I use the lowest power setting. My ICOM IC-80AD can be used for a much longer period on a single charge.

The thing that I like the best is that I don’t have to tie up the locale repeater to talk to friends around the world. I spend a lot of time listening to REF017-A and am relearning my Dutch language skills. I came to Canada at the age of 5 years in 1952 and have never been back for a visit. I plan to make my first return visit after my wife retires in August 2011.

This is nice to take with you when you go on vacation. You can have your own “Mini Repeater” right there in your motel room. I have my HT programmed to access the 3 locale D-Star repeaters and all the reflectors from wherever I travel. This device will become part of my “Grab and Go Kit”. It could be very useful for linking through to a central control station.

This device proves that D-Star is not an “ICOM only” system. The other radio manufactures should invest some money and get on the D-Star bandwagon. I thank INet Labs for bringing us this new device and helping to bring more life into a most interesting hobby. On a scale of 1 to 5 I would give this thing a 10 if it were at all possible.

DL6EAT Rating: 5/5 Jul 26, 2010 16:51 Send this review to a friend
Simple a "MUST HAVE!"  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Folks,

To make it short - once you get up and started with D-Star you may already be totally convinced or disappointed - depending if you're living within the range of any D-Star-repeater or not. Well, as you can imagine I live in north Germany. Not much of activities here, but at least you can use D-Star via repeaters (not reflectors). I'm travelling a lot and especially in the US it's all the time big fun. Well for those of you living in Europe, I can't tell you if the DVAP-Dongle is already available there (I'm guessing not). Order and purchase it in the US...I bought mine at HRO in Atlanta.

Anyhow, you need this toy! Setting this up is fast and easy. All you need to knwo is what you already know - how to use your Icom-rig!
It's similar to the DV-dongle but also sets up your local mini-repeater for your house including your garden. The world of D-Star is now in your hand even when no repeater is even close! I'm right now on the Outer Banks in North Carolina and couldn't fins any local repeater - including any FM! Even my GSM-cellphone is out of order here...the ideal place to relax!

I got the DVAP and started this up - my netbook is connected to the internet via WiFi of our hotel. Seconds later I joined Ref001C here in the US...I could return to the pool and listened to my US-friends in our neighbour-states. Lots of traffic on this reflector and all transmitted (forwarded) to my IC-92AD via the DVAP while I enjoy the beauty of Ocracoke along the pool.

Not much to add - order this asap and our hobby is newly defined. Some may complain that the most of it is based on an internet connection - which is true. But let's face it: This is our today's world! It is still very impessive to sit in the sun and dial through a worldwide list of repeaters and reflectors to get connected where ever you want. And again - you all programm it from your portable device (in my case the IC-92AD). The DVAP sits remote and does it all. If the 250 US$ don't kill you, you will probably find this well worth it after using it.
I am a HAM-radio operator since 1978 - most of my time I did HF with big guns - this is the opposite - at least right now it's even more fun! Check it out and let me know if I'm right.
See you on D-Star!

Andreas, DL6EAT (currently on Ocracoke, NC - US)