Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Hand-held | ICOM IC-V80 Help

Reviews Summary for ICOM IC-V80
ICOM IC-V80 Reviews: 6 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $(missing—add MSRP)
Description: 2 meter monoband HT. 2 versions available, one with a NiMH pack and recharge stand and a Sport model using 6 AA cells. Store price $130 & $100 respectively.
3 power settings: 5.5, 2.5 and 0.5W
More info: http://www.icomamerica.com

You can write your own review of the ICOM IC-V80.

N8NNX Rating: 5/5 Oct 8, 2013 17:20 Send this review to a friend
Excellent!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I was looking for an inexpensive radio with full 5 watts and this one fits the bill. I purchased the sport model with the aa battery pack and I couldn't be happier. Not only is the radio give me a full 5.5 watts, it also has excellent audio for noisy environments.
I have owned other handheld radios with all the bells and whistles and never could hear the radio when it was on my belt. This radio does what it was designed to do, talk and listen!
This is one of the last radios on the market with a bnc connection. I prefer the bnc for quick antenna change,( in the house or car) which can be done with an sma adapter for other hts but the durability of the bnc is much better.
I would like to see future versions with a back lit keypad but to keep the cost down I understand why Icom did it this way.
This radio is also built in japan unlike most newer yaesu radios are built in China.
For $99 you can't go wrong and still get a 5.5 watt radio.
I will buy this one again!

2W0NNN Rating: 5/5 Dec 5, 2012 14:46 Send this review to a friend
Excellent rugged radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
Having used other HTs I was always put off buying one myself. Too many buttons, too fiddly, too many menus. The V80 - rugged, straightforward and 2m only - sounded perfect. I use it exclusively in the mountains, mostly for SOTA but occasionally just to see who's about too. I've dropped it twice - no damage. It's been rained on, snowed on, frozen, sat on, bounced around in the bottom of a rucksack and it's still going as well as the day it was new. You can't ask for more than that!

A couple points - firstly the on/off switch. It's brilliant. It's recessed so it's not going to turn on by accident draining the battery in your rucksack, yet I can still turn it on even wearing gloves. That's one thing I hope Icom keep.

Secondly the batteries. The NiMH battery it came with drove me up the wall. I'd use it at home and it'd do the job fine. Then I'd take it up a mountain and it'd be dead to the point where the radio would power off within 5 minutes. I bought a second and that was the same. They really don't like temperatures approaching or sub-freezing. I then replaced them with 2 Li-Ion batteries and they're a world apart; excellent battery life despite me almost permanently using high power and without any noticeable drop in capacity or voltage in sub-zero temperatures. They also take much less time to recharge. I'd highly recommend them and advise anyone using this radio to get them also.

Initially I had some reports of very quiet audio, something I tested myself and found to be accurate. I think this is a result of the waterproof speaker / mic (the same effect is found with the optional waterproof mic). The solution is to turn up the mic gain (I find 3 works fine) and talk with your lips almost touching the speaker. This may have been intentional from Icom since having done some experimenting this technique also cuts right down on wind noise.

To make this radio perfect the one thing I'd change is to also add a socket to allow use plugged directly in to a car cigarette lighter socket. That would make it ideal for EMCOM too.

In short though I love this radio; it's so light, simple and reliable I take it mountaineering even when I have no intention of doing SOTA. Pair it up with a SOTAbeam multi function dipole or similar and it's one cracking lightweight /P setup.

KF7OCD Rating: 5/5 Mar 27, 2011 00:32 Send this review to a friend
Great radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is my first HT and it is EASY to program. It has great audio and has a tough feel to it. I highly doubt I will have any problems with it and I would recommend you buy this radio if you want a basic, tough and easy to program radio.

KC2YXU Rating: 5/5 Dec 21, 2010 17:43 Send this review to a friend
Good Radio  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have had this radio for about 7 months now and everything has worked perfectly. It is basic, but it has a solid feel and is easy to program. All in all a good radio.

KE7UFP Rating: 3/5 Jun 9, 2010 14:07 Send this review to a friend
Not what I expected. Will report back later.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased a pair of these for my son and his friend who just received their Tech. License. These were my first ICOM purchase. I was looking for robust and ease of use for a beginner. ICOM has a reputation for good quality equipment and I figured I couldn’t go wrong. First disappointment was the very poor quality display, and the alpha tag for programmed repeaters. Very difficult to read and the alpha characters are of such a poor quality the boys and I were unable to decipher them. Second disappointment was the quality of construction. The units were not as I would have expected, and I am uncertain that they will stand up to the possible accidental abuse my Yaesu has taken. Just on first blush I was a bit disappointed. On the Plus, sound was good and it will get loud if you need it. Simplistic controls, but a small power button was an issue. Compact and easy to grip for small hands. What I will do is have the boys run through the programming and use for a few months and I will give an updated review. Good, Bad or Indifferent.

W2DI Rating: 5/5 Mar 1, 2010 14:55 Send this review to a friend
Solid basic HT  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have the sport model of this radio but will soon be purchasing the LiO battery and quick-charging stand.

The V80 has a very solid and comfortable feel. It is a 'commercial quality' type radio feel.

It doesn't have many of the extras you may find on other radios in its class, but the performance is outstanding. Receive audio is loud and full while transmit audio is also robust (there is an adjustment for trans audio, #2 working great on the 1-5 scale).

Power choices of 5.5, 2.5 and 0.5 Watts are very convenient. I can hit nearby repeaters with 0.5 W inside my steel and concrete work building.

The supplied antenna is the same having been used on the T2H and the V8 and leaves nothing to be desired.

So far, battery longevity is good, having used NiMH and Alkalines in the tray. But I ordered the LiO battery and quick charger, the prices not being all that bad for the extras.

On the downside, there is no DC connection (which I personally never use anyway - it's a handheld), and the alpha tags are somewhat strange looking, some upper case letters, some lower case, giving the name an odd look.

I rate it a 5 for performance (especially audio both ways) and very solid construction and that's why I got it.

Thanks for reading.