Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF+UHF models) | Yaesu FTdx-5000 (including D and MP versions) Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu FTdx-5000 (including D and MP versions)
Yaesu FTdx-5000 (including D and MP versions) Reviews: 110 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $5750 (D version)
Description: The FT dx 5000 Series HF/50 MHz 200 Watt Transceivers are a new Premium Class of Yaesu radios with 2 Independent Receivers plus many unique options and accessories designed to meet the Performance Requirements of even the most demanding serious Amateur Radio operator.
More info: http://www.yaesu.com/indexVS.cfm?cmd=DisplayProducts&ProdCatID=102&encProdID=12FF98B9C73C8988F2398C979793E2E1&DivisionID=65&isArchived=0

You can write your own review of the Yaesu FTdx-5000 (including D and MP versions).

W2FKN Rating: 5/5 May 21, 2016 08:24 Send this review to a friend
One Helluva a Rig!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I don't have a great antenna system (HOA issues) but the YAESU FTDX5000MP Limited does wonders for me. Performance is truly without compromise. Can always pull in even the "weak ones." No beam or anything close. Got it when they gave a $300 rebate! Get this rig - worth every penny! 73's W2FKN

OZ1LWT Rating: 5/5 Apr 9, 2016 06:44 Send this review to a friend
Great Rig.  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Hi
I have a new ftdx5000mp with the sm5000 station monitor.

I am very impressed with this radio.
very well received good filters.
too good at receiver.

Vy best 73 OZ1LWT.

GM0ONX Rating: 5/5 Apr 8, 2016 07:47 Send this review to a friend
Now a great rig  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I bought my FTDX5000MP secondhand just over 6 months ago and it had the dreaded dim OLED problem. Even though it was out of warranty Yaesu came good for 3 replacements free of charge and they were a simple job to fit with the online guide.

With the radio now as it should be the rig is just simply superb, particularly the receiver which really winkles the DX out of the noise, much better than my FT1000MP. The SM5000 is a bit of a toy so if you get one without it don't worry.

VK2EIR Rating: 2/5 Apr 4, 2016 05:07 Send this review to a friend
Dead 5000MP  Time owned: more than 12 months
My 5000MP is back in the dealers for warranty repairs after 18 months use. When I tried to fire it up recently it was "Dead" It was only ever used on SSB 80, 40, 20 meters. Very disappointed, and unlikely to purchase another radio costing more than $1500 and definitely not a yaesu.

Joe,
VK2EIR

KH6TA Rating: 5/5 Mar 30, 2016 13:09 Send this review to a friend
Beyond an Awesome Radio!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
What an absolutely awesome radio in all areas of operation!

I have owned many newer Icom, Kenwood & Yaesu radios over the last 5+ years, and this one is the winner by a long shot. I like it so well that I bought a second one, and couldn't be happier! Once you go SO2R, you'll never go back!

I don't see the SM5000 as a hot item as the spectrum scope display is okay, but there are many SDR options available. The SM5000 speakers are very nice!

For those who may have been shying away from buying a pre-owned 5000, Yaesu is now repairing the infamous sub display OLED issue under warranty at No Charge regardless of age of the radio.

Stay thirsty for DX, my friends!

KC2PUF Rating: 5/5 Dec 2, 2015 11:26 Send this review to a friend
Did sweeps with this puppy  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Well, ran the sweeps, a joy to use. We went for a sweep, not points, and this was the easiest listening radio I ever had. No ear fatigue, 3 out of 110 contacts needed a little effort. Look forward to 10m coming up.
Zero issues on learning curve. It is not steep.
Buttons and levers are actually rather well laid out if you start with a clear mind.
Sm scope was adequate enough to see pileups and activity.

NV2A Rating: 5/5 Nov 28, 2015 06:07 Send this review to a friend
Very Heavy Rig  Time owned: more than 12 months
Review Part II: Forgot to mention, only major fault I find is this rig is a beast. Might be cheaper to drive it to repair facility i ever needed then to UPS it.

I expect all 200 watt rigs have built in power supplys and that is what makes'em brutes. Other than that, after 3 years I still love this radio.

KC2PUF Rating: 5/5 Nov 16, 2015 11:54 Send this review to a friend
Monster at first blush!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
First week a winner. Lots of buttons, after configuring did not have to go to menus. Little different layout than previous radios, ftdx 3000, Icom pro3, Kenwood 2000, Kenwood 430,etc., but not hard at all to get used to. Performance is killer across the board. At current price, why aren't you buying one?
Ordered the sm-5000 as I am sick of my pan adapotor wires all over the place.

W4PF Rating: 5/5 Nov 4, 2015 07:05 Send this review to a friend
Good Radio, Good Buy  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have to agree with many of the folks that have stated this is a very good radio. I replaced my FT-2000 with the FT-5000 MP Limited. The Ft-2000 was a very good radio and the upgrade to the 5000 was worth the money. Not to mention that the price is at a good point now.

N5REL Rating: 5/5 Nov 3, 2015 18:52 Send this review to a friend
Super Rig  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
After many years with my trusty Icom 756Pro, I finally decided it was time for a new HF rig. I really wanted something with dual receivers, so that narrowed the field rather quickly. I considered this rig, the Icom 7600 (dual watch, not a true dual RX rig) and even the Kenwood TS990.

I was just about ready to flip a coin to make the decision, but I finally settled on the FTDX-5000MP after reading many reviews and on-air chatter among my peers - - not to mention a super-deal at MTC's Radio Day in Paris, TX a few weeks ago.

After owning it for a couple of weeks, I'm very pleased with my purchase.

The receiver, filtering and noise reduction is phenomenal. The layout and appearance of the radio is very intuitive and impressive. I was able to interface my W2IHY audio equipment very easily with the radio (although the radio has some pretty nice audio tailoring built in). The ability to dial up to 200W TX is nice when operating minus an amp.

I went ahead and accessorized my 5000 with the SM5000 station monitor / stereo speaker unit and even splurged on an Elite dust cover from www.radiodustcovers.com. The stereo audio is very rich from the SM5000 - - I would strongly encourage adding this item (and the dust cover).

I haven't scratched the surface on all the features and operation in various modes, so perhaps I'll provide a follow up review at a later date. But so far, I'm very pleased and look forward to several years of service from this radio. In my mind, it's the best value in Ham Radio for a big-box, contest-grade radio.

73 and God Bless,