Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF+UHF models) | Yaesu FTdx-5000 (including D and MP versions) Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu FTdx-5000 (including D and MP versions)
Yaesu FTdx-5000 (including D and MP versions) Reviews: 112 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $5750 (D version)
Description: The FT dx 5000 Series HF/50 MHz 200 Watt Transceivers are a new Premium Class of Yaesu radios with 2 Independent Receivers plus many unique options and accessories designed to meet the Performance Requirements of even the most demanding serious Amateur Radio operator.

You can write your own review of the Yaesu FTdx-5000 (including D and MP versions).

KG5ABW Rating: 5/5 Sep 23, 2016 05:25 Send this review to a friend
KG5ABW  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I've had mine for 6 months and really like how little amount of user intervention is required once it is set up. It CAN use a Data Management Unit. Look at my web page on and you will
see how mine is set up.

I would buy it again. I also have a FTDX1200 and a FTDX3000.
N1ASS Rating: 3/5 Jul 30, 2016 04:06 Send this review to a friend
Long time owner,5 years.  Time owned: more than 12 months
It's a sad morning,all 3 of my OLEDS have the white line now.You guys replaced them under waranty4 years ago.(August 2012)Why is this happening again,I thought they where replaced with improved OLEDS.What is Yaesu going to do for us customers that hang on to our equipment??Please let me know what Yaesu is willing to do for me??This is what I sent to Yaesu,waiting for a reply.
Basilie Actipis / N1ASS
W2FKN Rating: 5/5 May 21, 2016 08:24 Send this review to a friend
One Helluva a Rig!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I don't have a great antenna system (HOA issues) but the YAESU FTDX5000MP Limited does wonders for me. Performance is truly without compromise. Can always pull in even the "weak ones." No beam or anything close. Got it when they gave a $300 rebate! Get this rig - worth every penny! 73's W2FKN
OZ1LWT Rating: 5/5 Apr 9, 2016 06:44 Send this review to a friend
Great Rig.  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have a new ftdx5000mp with the sm5000 station monitor.

I am very impressed with this radio.
very well received good filters.
too good at receiver.

Vy best 73 OZ1LWT.
GM0ONX Rating: 5/5 Apr 8, 2016 07:47 Send this review to a friend
Now a great rig  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I bought my FTDX5000MP secondhand just over 6 months ago and it had the dreaded dim OLED problem. Even though it was out of warranty Yaesu came good for 3 replacements free of charge and they were a simple job to fit with the online guide.

With the radio now as it should be the rig is just simply superb, particularly the receiver which really winkles the DX out of the noise, much better than my FT1000MP. The SM5000 is a bit of a toy so if you get one without it don't worry.
VK2EIR Rating: 2/5 Apr 4, 2016 05:07 Send this review to a friend
Dead 5000MP  Time owned: more than 12 months
My 5000MP is back in the dealers for warranty repairs after 18 months use. When I tried to fire it up recently it was "Dead" It was only ever used on SSB 80, 40, 20 meters. Very disappointed, and unlikely to purchase another radio costing more than $1500 and definitely not a yaesu.

KH6TA Rating: 5/5 Mar 30, 2016 13:09 Send this review to a friend
Beyond an Awesome Radio!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
What an absolutely awesome radio in all areas of operation!

I have owned many newer Icom, Kenwood & Yaesu radios over the last 5+ years, and this one is the winner by a long shot. I like it so well that I bought a second one, and couldn't be happier! Once you go SO2R, you'll never go back!

I don't see the SM5000 as a hot item as the spectrum scope display is okay, but there are many SDR options available. The SM5000 speakers are very nice!

For those who may have been shying away from buying a pre-owned 5000, Yaesu is now repairing the infamous sub display OLED issue under warranty at No Charge regardless of age of the radio.

Stay thirsty for DX, my friends!

KC2PUF Rating: 5/5 Dec 2, 2015 11:26 Send this review to a friend
Did sweeps with this puppy  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Well, ran the sweeps, a joy to use. We went for a sweep, not points, and this was the easiest listening radio I ever had. No ear fatigue, 3 out of 110 contacts needed a little effort. Look forward to 10m coming up.
Zero issues on learning curve. It is not steep.
Buttons and levers are actually rather well laid out if you start with a clear mind.
Sm scope was adequate enough to see pileups and activity.
NV2A Rating: 5/5 Nov 28, 2015 06:07 Send this review to a friend
Very Heavy Rig  Time owned: more than 12 months
Review Part II: Forgot to mention, only major fault I find is this rig is a beast. Might be cheaper to drive it to repair facility i ever needed then to UPS it.

I expect all 200 watt rigs have built in power supplys and that is what makes'em brutes. Other than that, after 3 years I still love this radio.
KC2PUF Rating: 5/5 Nov 16, 2015 11:54 Send this review to a friend
Monster at first blush!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
First week a winner. Lots of buttons, after configuring did not have to go to menus. Little different layout than previous radios, ftdx 3000, Icom pro3, Kenwood 2000, Kenwood 430,etc., but not hard at all to get used to. Performance is killer across the board. At current price, why aren't you buying one?
Ordered the sm-5000 as I am sick of my pan adapotor wires all over the place.