Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF models) | Yaesu FTdx-5000 (including D and MP versions) Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu FTdx-5000 (including D and MP versions)
Yaesu FTdx-5000 (including D and MP versions) Reviews: 95 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $5750 (D version)
Description: The FT dx 5000 Series HF/50 MHz 200 Watt Transceivers are a new Premium Class of Yaesu radios with 2 Independent Receivers plus many unique options and accessories designed to meet the Performance Requirements of even the most demanding serious Amateur Radio operator.
More info: http://www.yaesu.com/indexVS.cfm?cmd=DisplayProducts&ProdCatID=102&encProdID=12FF98B9C73C8988F2398C979793E2E1&DivisionID=65&isArchived=0

You can write your own review of the Yaesu FTdx-5000 (including D and MP versions).

KB6HRT Rating: 5/5 Nov 11, 2014 16:47 Send this review to a friend
NICE RADIO  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Brought the FT5000MP in May of this year an have not regretted doing so, GREAT RADIO had a 5000 D for 3 years before the MP. The MP has better lit displays and the knobs are tighter, one thing I did before I brought the FT5000MP was buy a new SM5000 display because the old display was dimming on the D found the replacement SM5000 display was some brighter than the old Ds display, not nearly as bright as the display that came with the MP, but the audio that came out of the MP's speakers on the SM5000 had more background noise mixed with the signal, added the new old SM5000 to the MP radio, now think I have the best of both worlds, have 2 other radios a Kenwood TS590S and a FT9000D, all are wonderful radios and I would not trade one of them, use the Kenwood to go to sleep by, it works great with its built in timer. Use the FT5000MP for Rag Chew in the mornings for 75-40m an use the FT9000D for weak signal work an Rag Chew on 160m early in the AM an at night for weak signals. I believe the FT5000MP is a better radio than the D both are still 5s an great radios, The Kenwood TS590s to me is the best value in HF with its HOT receiver, its easy to use. The FT9000D is the best radio I have used, if you have had Yaesu radios an buy a FT5000 or a FT9000 it will help learn these radios faster, these radios requires some extra tuning to get them right but when you do its is worth every penny paid ...................KB6HRT

PA7M Rating: 5/5 Nov 10, 2014 08:38 Send this review to a friend
Great stuff  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I am very impressed with this radio.
very well received good filters.
too good at receiver. couples
had before the ic-7700 but is quieter with his reception.
am very happy with it.

Henk 73'

K6YE Rating: 5/5 Nov 3, 2014 08:53 Send this review to a friend
STILL AWESOME  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is my second review. I am still impressed with the performance of my FTDX-5000MP. It never developed the white line problem and I have owned it since 2011 CE. I did have the opportunity to use an FTDX-9000MP and was impressed especially with the 400 watt output and its overall performance. I may add one to my collection and part with the FT-1000 and IC-775DSP. No matter what, the FTDX-5000MP is a keeper.

Semper Fi,

Tommy - K6YE
DX IS and CW RULES

2E0WPZ Rating: 5/5 Oct 17, 2014 12:04 Send this review to a friend
lots to learn but very good so far  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Certainly the best radio I have owned. Only had the rig for a week but am impressed at how well it hears weak stations. The menus and all the adjustments on the front will need a learning curve for sure but with this quality of performance it will certainly be well worth the time setting it up.

NR9R Rating: 4/5 Jul 23, 2014 13:44 Send this review to a friend
Great Receiver, Concerns about Long Term Relaibility  Time owned: more than 12 months
The FTDX-5000 has the best performing receiver I have every experienced in terms of both dynamic range and audio quality--it is very easy on the ears. I liked it so much I tried two of them, but gave up after experiencing too many issues.

My first 5000D was an early 2010 model. It was received with the misprinted label and QSK issue. I also had an issue with RF feedback sneaking into the headphone jack that required multiple trips to Yaesu to fix. Since this one felt like a lemon I returned it.

My second 5000D purchased in 2012 developed the OLED failure. Then the internal antenna tuner failed the first time I used it. After getting it fixed I sold it and decided to take a break from the 5000.

Both 5000Ds that I owned showed slight but noticeable receive audio distortion when both receivers where engaged as if the audio amp became overloaded. This is known by many owners and a general work around is to use an external audio mixer to drive the speakers and headphone.

NC0B did some measurements of the transmitter IMD and showed that with the processor engaged the IMD performance falls similar to 12V transistors, even in class A.

Another issue that seems to be increasing in frequency is failure of the VFO-A digital encoder. This has been reported by several owners on the FTDX-5000 Yahoo group.

Interestingly, there is a recent review of the FTDX-5000 that acknowledges most of the failures I have mentioned but the reviewer still gives a 5/5. I guess the good receiver performance is enough to make up for the reliability concerns for some.

In my case I decided to move (down) to the FTDX-3000D. It has a similarly nice sounding receiver and if it ever develops a problem it won't be an issue to ship (the 5000D costs $150 to ship one way).

W9KDX Rating: 4/5 Jun 19, 2014 17:42 Send this review to a friend
Line defect still there.  Time owned: more than 12 months
Just thought potential buyers should know, be prepared to pay for shipping if you don't like the dreaded vertical white line problem. Mine is just over a year old and they are still using defective parts. Nice that they stand behind this issue, but shipping is massively expensive and I would have preferred that they just use non-defective parts.

VE6TL Rating: 5/5 Jun 6, 2014 07:13 Send this review to a friend
4 Year Review  Time owned: more than 12 months
I reviewed my MP on eHam back in May, 2010 after having it a short time. Mine is one of the early ones with "Tranceiver" spelled incorrectly on the front panel.

So how well has this rig held up? The only thing I've done to it was the firmware upgrades - about 6 months ago. This was a delicate procedure that took me about two hours to complete, but the results were worth it. The APF now works amazingly well, whereas before, it was very ineffective. Other problems I've had with the rig include:

1) S-Meter occasionally sticking to the left pin (which is always fixed with a slap to the left side of the radio).

2) Vertical line (one or two of them) randomly appearing on the VFO-A OLED display. This initially went away with the firmware upgrade but came back a few months later. It seems to come and go and doesn't really affect the operation of the rig.

3) VFO-A rotary encoder very noisy. Apart from the main tuning knob, this is the second most used control on the radio. It controls the filter selection, notch, APF, DNR, IF-Shift, VRF, clarifier frequency, etc. Turning the knob one way or the other often results in random settings. Other FT5000 owners have also reported similar results with theirs, with one having opened up his rig and finding a "cheap and poor quality" rotary encoder.

While these three items appear to be very common and annoying, they don't really affect the radio that much and I haven't been able to justify the expense of sending the radio back to Yaesu.

4) The station monitor is pretty useless, so I've been using a third party pan adapter which has made a huge improvement on "seeing" the signals.

In terms of positives, the receiver is still hard to beat and with the APF working great, I can pull weak CW signals out of the noise that most rigs wouldn't hear at all. My neighborhood is plagued with all sorts of RFI and without the vast array of noise cancelling tools, I probably wouldn't be on the air at all.

Finally, regarding reliability, the rig has not let me down once in the 4+ years I've been using it - and this has included a lot of use (contesting, DXing, etc.). As I told the XYL when I was considering the purchase, this will be the last rig I will ever need - and I am still sticking with this years later.

KB6HRT Rating: 5/5 Jun 5, 2014 20:21 Send this review to a friend
FTdx 5000s Still my favorite!  Time owned: more than 12 months
About a month ago traded my 3+ year old FTdx5000D for the FTdx5000MP and have become acustum to the MP now. The MPs 3 little displays on the right of the radio are brighter than the radio it replaced, which make tuning easer, an some of the knobs on my D did not have the same feel as others, on the MP all the knobs feel the same, my D had a lot of hours on it an served me well, filtering on these radios is the best I have used for pulling out weak signals, signals sound natural sounding with little to no background noise. Both radios tranmits GREAT!
Could have brought the Kenwood TS990s or the ICOM IC7800 but to my ear I am very picky about the receive signals The FTdx 5000s does it better, the FTdx5000D an MP are very nice radios .......KB6HRT

WK9U Rating: 5/5 Apr 16, 2014 06:28 Send this review to a friend
Best well-rounded Transceiver  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
First of all, I wish I could give these rigs a 5+ grade but Eham won't allow it, HIHI.

In the Yaesu line, I went from the Mark V to 1000mp back to a Mark V and then the FT2000 while somewhere inbetween I toyed with an 857D but nevermind that.
I feel the FT5K series are the most impressive mechanically/electronically/cosmetically engineered and designed transceivers currently and probably will remain this way in my opinion for at least another decade.
I'm not going to repeat most others comments other than the following:
GOOD - My displays have no issues.
GOOD - Everything works as it should.
UNFORTUNATE - The 3k filter design should probably been more of a 2.6/2.8k as there are many times I don't enjoy the QRM cases and the notch filtering needs to be dialed and tuned up.

PS- The Yaesu Quadra System is a PERFECT mate to this rig !!!!!!!! If you've never experienced the Quadra with an FT2000 or FTDX5000, you're missing out on the finer things in life.

73' WK9U

WB6YZZ Rating: 5/5 Mar 30, 2014 15:55 Send this review to a friend
A pleasure to use  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I'm coming from an IC-7600, from which I had a Pro-III, Kenwoods before that, and still have a Kenwood TS-2000 for mobile/portable work. I'm a homebrewer and have built several SDRs.

I recently got the 5000MP with all the options. I was sold on it because of the large knobs with some space between them. In other words ergonomics! I've been licensed since 1967 and have yearned to go back to the days of the big rigs with flywheel knobs, but not back to the old performance.

I've become a huge fan of SDR type radios with their flexible selectivity and a bandscope. But I did not want to use a computer, I wanted to use a ham radio!

I have yet to see a bandscope that can compare to the typical SDR for resolution and sensitivity. The 5K is in line with the IC7600. Both are usable and give you a look of the band, and the signals that are at least a couple S-units above the noise. That's fine with me. I'm a casual ham that likes to listen more than talk, and I like to know who my neighbor hams are. At least the 5K can scan 2.5MHz of band, meaning you can see the entire 10 Meter band. I plan on using this with converters to see the entire 2 Meter band.

I would rate this rig a 4.8 if I could. There are a few things I don't like about it, but they are relatively minor.

Good:
1- Usable bandscope.
2- Excellent receiver performance and audio quality.
3- Built in speakers are very good.
4- No need to dig into menus except on rare occasions.
5- Two separate receivers can be very powerful.
6- Class A output for feeding a linear.
7- 200W and with a built in supply.

Not so good:
1- AM selectivity is confined to 6 or 9KHz, FM to 9 and 16. The smaller bandwidths are chosen with a button (narrow) rather than the width knob like other modes.
2- It is not exactly intuitive to use. You'd think with all these independent knobs, it would be. But there are enough dual purpose buttons to annoy you at times.
3- As pointed out by others, the long knobs and buttons shade labeling of functions below them. Lighting the front to read everything takes some work.

Overall, however, this is the best radio I've ever had, fer sure. It is pleasurable to use, and doesn't slide around the table when you push a button, since it weighs 46lbs!