Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF models) | Yaesu FTdx-5000 (including D and MP versions) Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu FTdx-5000 (including D and MP versions)
Yaesu FTdx-5000 (including D and MP versions) Reviews: 97 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $5750 (D version)
Description: The FT dx 5000 Series HF/50 MHz 200 Watt Transceivers are a new Premium Class of Yaesu radios with 2 Independent Receivers plus many unique options and accessories designed to meet the Performance Requirements of even the most demanding serious Amateur Radio operator.
More info: http://www.yaesu.com/indexVS.cfm?cmd=DisplayProducts&ProdCatID=102&encProdID=12FF98B9C73C8988F2398C979793E2E1&DivisionID=65&isArchived=0

You can write your own review of the Yaesu FTdx-5000 (including D and MP versions).

NV2A Rating: 5/5 Nov 24, 2013 17:37 Send this review to a friend
Great Radio!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
A crowbar from Sears is what you'll need if you plan to pry this from my hands! Nicest rig I ever owned. Just finished the CQWWDX CW contest and when it was all done it hit me like a ton of bricks, there were no signals I could not easily pick out no matter how close another station was to them. Using a Butternut HF9v I was amazed at how many DX stations I snagged with 180 watts on the first call. The roofing filter worked to perfection. My other experiance is with the Kenwood ts940 and Fox Tango matched filters; Kenwood 950sd, Icom 751a and the 756ProIII for comparison reasons.

K4YDN Rating: 3/5 Oct 15, 2013 16:18 Send this review to a friend
DREADED OLED PROBLEM  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had my FT-5000 for 2 1/2 years. I love the radio but now have one of the OLED that has gone so dim I can't use it anymore. I talked to Yaesu and they said they would fix it free if it was the vertical white line problem but not if the OLED started dimming. I would not expect and LED to go bad after 2 1/2 years but they would not cover it. By the time I pay shipping from my QTH (east coast) to Calif and back I would be looking at $300.00 plus. It takes two to four hours to do the repair. There is a ham in Poland that was kind enough to do a detail photo narration of how to do this repair. You have to take the front panel off which means all the knobs and button, a lot of screw, multiple computer ribbons connections, etc, etc, etc. Amazing. I bought the parts from Yaesu and they were not expensive, but the procedure is very involved. I have not decided what to do. This will effect my resale value if I decide to sell and will keep people when they realize the potential problem from buying the 5000. I have the FT-3k at my other QTH and was thinking of selling it to buy the FT-5k but that is out of the question now. Sri for the gloom and doom report to what otherwise is a great radio. 73's, Mike

W5DXE Rating: 5/5 Oct 10, 2013 08:16 Send this review to a friend
Fantastic... But....  Time owned: more than 12 months
Fantastic radio. Can't say enough about it. And this coming from a life long Kenwood man. If only Yaesu could of done a better job on the OLEDs. Failure after a year is not acceptable for a rig that cost north of 5K.

KG6YV Rating: 5/5 Sep 25, 2013 13:11 Send this review to a friend
superb perfromance  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I go along with all the reviews that rate this unit's receiver as top notch. It is the best I have ever used. I operate both CW and SSB and find all the features well implemented, documented and all in superb operating ergonomics. My previous Yaesu was an FT-2000D and I can see where Yaesu learned a lot in the evolution to the FTDX 5000.
Yes, the SM5000 isn't a full function analyzer with a big screen but I am using an SDR-IQ for that function. This radio is very competitive with "anything" ICOM has and even against the TS-990 when you consider the price difference.

Oh, and for those who don't know Yaesu is now providing support for replacement displays if your OLED goes bad in or out of warranty. You pay shipping... That isn't bad either when you consider that ICOM does nothing for 7700 owners who lose their finals (I know of three hams with this problem) and that is a $1500.00 repair.

K3MD Rating: 5/5 Sep 25, 2013 09:55 Send this review to a friend
Still working  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I got one of the vertical lines on one of the secondary displays at 4 months.
Fixed 16 days my door to my door, 0 cost. They pay shipping back.
Tim KT7F tech support very courteous.
This radio is fantastic! FT-950 is backup now. That is also a fantastic radio, but the FTDX-5000D is something else again! Outplays my old top of the line Icom.
I guess if I get another vertical white line I will send it back again!
Ready for contest season... that is the important thing, after all!

K6USN Rating: 5/5 Sep 24, 2013 18:51 Send this review to a friend
A Radio I will Keep  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I will not repeat much of what has been said already by those more technically savvy than I am. This clearly is a first rate radio.

I have had the FTDX 5000D almost a year and am still learning new things about it every day.

My comparison would be the IC 7700 which I owned for several years but had some issues with the finals. All radios seem to have some growing pains.
I have one 'nit' to pick, and it's been voiced by others. The SM 5000 monitor is not up to par with the rest of the radio.
Perhaps I was spoiled by the band scope on the IC 7700. The SM 5000 scope is quite limited in it's functionality.

Also for me (too many years around airplanes)the small speakers leave something to be desired regardless of setting. I solved the band scope issue by using my Elecraft P3 with the FTDX 5000, and using a Yaesu SP 2000 speaker instead of the built in speakers. For a radio at this price point, I should not have had to do this.

It would be very helpful if Yaesu would offer an after market upgrade to the SM 5000.

Overall, the best radio in my 55 years of ham radio, with the exception of the SM 5000.

G3RCE Rating: 5/5 Sep 23, 2013 11:25 Send this review to a friend
Superb performer  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is mainly to mention the recent update.
I mainly use cw and the latest September firmware update gives 4 separate settings for the APF audio peak filter which can really improve cw performance in difficult conditions.
It would be great if Elecraft would do something similar to improve the apf on the K3 and KX3, which are sadly lacking in comparison.
I agree that it would be an improvement if one could select a 1.8KHz roofing filter for ssb.
I think that this radio makes a superb base station.
Robert G3RCE

KB6HRT Rating: 5/5 Aug 19, 2013 10:41 Send this review to a friend
Still GREAT  Time owned: more than 12 months
Second update still the best HF radio I have owned, but did have the dreaded white vertical line in one of my sub displays, called Yaesu talked to TIM he said my Guarantee was expired, but he would send me a new display at no charge, he suggested I give it some time before I change it out because they sometimes right themselves.
about 2 weeks after that the white line when away and has never returned that has been about 3 months ago now, but still have the new display if it ever decides to return. this radio is the most flexable HF radio that I have every operated as far as operator control, it always has something one can do to improve your incoming signal when conditions are less than the best, still LOVE this radio after 2 -1/2 years of use...........kb6hrt

K4ELO Rating: 4/5 Aug 18, 2013 16:26 Send this review to a friend
Excellent, but...  Time owned: more than 12 months
A very good rig with some exceptions like the weak dsp and the oled problem. Otherwise, it would get a 5. Yaesu should really recall the radio and fix the oled problem on all of them at no charge, including shipping in both directions - this is a heavy radio.

A very good receiver, but not excellent. The 3K roofing filter is too wide for ssb qrm and the dsp is nearly useless to me. It does better on cw with tighter filters.

The auto notch filter and the noise reduction are very good. Effective and don't destroy the received audio quality.

I have done A/B comparisons with some other high end rigs. The summary is that the 5K holds it's own on weak signal reception but fails the test on ssb qrm rejection. They really need a tighter roofing filter and much better dsp.

I do like the design of the controls and the menu system. Yaesu got that stuff right.

So it's a keeper for me, but as a backup rig.
If you're curious about my main rig, send me an email. The address is good on qrz.

Wayne
K4ELO

WR3KI Rating: 2/5 Jul 21, 2013 07:45 Send this review to a friend
OLED displays are defective  Time owned: more than 12 months
Very good rig, however, for $5K+, Yaesu should stand behind the radio & repair defective OLED displays. On my rig, they have faded out & are USELESS/unreadable. For those who are unaware of this issue, the THREE displays on the right front panel fail & become unreadable. Others have found white lines appear in the OLED displays. This is NOT an isolated problem, but has been found in MANY FTDX-5K's My rig was manufactured in July 2011, & in two years I am looking of a repair bill plus shipping of several hundred bucks. OUCH. Until Yaesu steps up & does the right thing concerning this issue, I would not recommend this rig.