Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF models) | Yaesu FTdx-5000 (including D and MP versions) Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu FTdx-5000 (including D and MP versions)
Yaesu FTdx-5000 (including D and MP versions) Reviews: 95 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $5750 (D version)
Description: The FT dx 5000 Series HF/50 MHz 200 Watt Transceivers are a new Premium Class of Yaesu radios with 2 Independent Receivers plus many unique options and accessories designed to meet the Performance Requirements of even the most demanding serious Amateur Radio operator.
More info: http://www.yaesu.com/indexVS.cfm?cmd=DisplayProducts&ProdCatID=102&encProdID=12FF98B9C73C8988F2398C979793E2E1&DivisionID=65&isArchived=0

You can write your own review of the Yaesu FTdx-5000 (including D and MP versions).

PD2HP Rating: 5/5 Mar 26, 2014 16:54 Send this review to a friend
Solid Transceiver  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have the Ftdx5000MP for a little time and i am very impressed.
It's a great performer, great receiver.
Offcourse it's much different then my FlexRadio5000 i have had before buying the 5000MP.
In my "career i have never seen such a great DNR function.
Also a big pro is the clear and nice audio you can make

I am a very satisfied and proud owner of this "tank"!!

W0GXA Rating: 5/5 Mar 21, 2014 18:28 Send this review to a friend
FT5000 wins over K3  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
In addition to the standard review, I thought I'd include a bit of background on how I selected this radio.

My last HF radio purchase was a Kenwood TS-50 21 years ago. I still have that rig and use it mobile, but it was time for something with a better receiver, better filters etc... I only operate CW, so that was the primary evaluation mode.

I chase DX and contest roughly 50/50 so a rig suited to both activities was needed. For DXing I rated having a 2nd receiver with independent filter settings to be high priority. The ability to route VFOs into separate ears was also required.

The other main criteria was price. I could afford a $5K-$6K radio max. That eliminated the IC7800, TS990 etc...

For completeness, I included the IC7600 in the mix. It does not have a 2nd RX but it has a feature called Dual Watch I wanted to consider.

I evaluated all radios myself and talked to at least two people experienced with each radio.

Summary findings:
IC7600 - I didn't like the dual watch feature. You can in fact listen to two VFOs in the same band but it's very difficult to sort out the DX station from what you're hearing in the pileup. On the plus side, radio has excellent audio and filters. Also has a nice size if you travel on DXpeditions. For a contest only radio, it's probably one of the better mid range radios.

K3 - I've used this radio the most contesting at a club station. I did a side by side compare with the IC7600 and immediately noticed the audio was more harsh sounding than the Icom. I tried settings on the Icom to make it sound as bad as the K3 and on the K3 to make it sound as good as the Icom with no luck. ...and yes, I used the same set of headphones to eliminate speakers as a variable.

I have no complaints about the receiver and filters. They perform well on crowded bands. It's also a highly capable radio with direct RTTY for example.

I could never get used to the ergonomics, nor the feel of the radio. Most of what you need is a top level control, button push or push and hold. Not a lot of need to go into the menus. In the end, though, it just didn't feel like a radio I could come home to at night and enjoy operating.

FT5000 - Receiver is on par with any of them out there and it shows. The audio is a pleasure to listen to. Ergonomics, compared to the K3 are outstanding. Specifically: I prefer having more dedicated controls. Also, I really like the RF path display for each receiver....even more so after I got the radio. I find the menus on this radio a breeze to use.

For DXing, the 2nd RX is a dream to operate. I've spent a lot of time chasing DX in pileups and have little issue following them around.

I researched the issues around clipped "dits" in QSK and OLED issues with Yaesu USA. They claim the "dits" problem and OLED issues were addressed in 2012 or earlier. My radio was made in Nov 2013, so time will tell if they fully addressed the problems.

From a pure technical performance stand point, it was a close race between the K3 and the 5000. In the end, ergonomics and the look and feel won out.

Happy to answer direct questions...see QRZ.com page.

Bob W0GXA

VE9OX Rating: 5/5 Jan 31, 2014 06:54 Send this review to a friend
Great Radio!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Purchased my Ft-5000D new over a year ago and I find it absolutely the quietest and finest receiver I have ever heard in 35 years of Ham Radio.
Noise reduction is first rate as is the variable notch filter.
The variable Roofing filters are OK but the rig absolutley needs a 2.4Khz roofing filter for SSB.
Great audio reports are normal from the ultra clean TX with the usual Yaesu 3 band parametric EQ.
This big radio has everything at your fingertips and an easily accessible menu too.
It it is very flexible in terms of DSP item functions and filters etc.
I enjoy the SMU screen and twin speakers...a nice touch and useful.
I bought mine as a "D" model" and got the optional 300Hz CW filter which really is required for serious CW...a big difference.

I have had one sub display OLED get the dreaded white line and Jim at Yaesu sent me one no charge.
I replaced the bad OLED myself on my bench in 2 hours while sipping on a cold beer.
What can I say more than this is Yaesu's finest transceiver to date.

It's a keeper that's why I give it a 5....see you in the pileups.
'73.
VE9OX.

A41MO Rating: 3/5 Nov 25, 2013 01:48 Send this review to a friend
Finals failed  Time owned: more than 12 months
I had the FT dx-5000 MP that was used very sparingly and mainly for listening. Connected to a multiband dipole using the built in ATU. Used the night before and next morning the finals are gone.
Repair meant shipping to Europe. Charges were very high to repair the finals together with the shipping cost made it unattractive to repair and bring back. It was sold as such at a great loss.

NV2A Rating: 5/5 Nov 24, 2013 17:37 Send this review to a friend
Great Radio!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
A crowbar from Sears is what you'll need if you plan to pry this from my hands! Nicest rig I ever owned. Just finished the CQWWDX CW contest and when it was all done it hit me like a ton of bricks, there were no signals I could not easily pick out no matter how close another station was to them. Using a Butternut HF9v I was amazed at how many DX stations I snagged with 180 watts on the first call. The roofing filter worked to perfection. My other experiance is with the Kenwood ts940 and Fox Tango matched filters; Kenwood 950sd, Icom 751a and the 756ProIII for comparison reasons.

K4YDN Rating: 3/5 Oct 15, 2013 16:18 Send this review to a friend
DREADED OLED PROBLEM  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had my FT-5000 for 2 1/2 years. I love the radio but now have one of the OLED that has gone so dim I can't use it anymore. I talked to Yaesu and they said they would fix it free if it was the vertical white line problem but not if the OLED started dimming. I would not expect and LED to go bad after 2 1/2 years but they would not cover it. By the time I pay shipping from my QTH (east coast) to Calif and back I would be looking at $300.00 plus. It takes two to four hours to do the repair. There is a ham in Poland that was kind enough to do a detail photo narration of how to do this repair. You have to take the front panel off which means all the knobs and button, a lot of screw, multiple computer ribbons connections, etc, etc, etc. Amazing. I bought the parts from Yaesu and they were not expensive, but the procedure is very involved. I have not decided what to do. This will effect my resale value if I decide to sell and will keep people when they realize the potential problem from buying the 5000. I have the FT-3k at my other QTH and was thinking of selling it to buy the FT-5k but that is out of the question now. Sri for the gloom and doom report to what otherwise is a great radio. 73's, Mike

W5DXE Rating: 5/5 Oct 10, 2013 08:16 Send this review to a friend
Fantastic... But....  Time owned: more than 12 months
Fantastic radio. Can't say enough about it. And this coming from a life long Kenwood man. If only Yaesu could of done a better job on the OLEDs. Failure after a year is not acceptable for a rig that cost north of 5K.

KG6YV Rating: 5/5 Sep 25, 2013 13:11 Send this review to a friend
superb perfromance  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I go along with all the reviews that rate this unit's receiver as top notch. It is the best I have ever used. I operate both CW and SSB and find all the features well implemented, documented and all in superb operating ergonomics. My previous Yaesu was an FT-2000D and I can see where Yaesu learned a lot in the evolution to the FTDX 5000.
Yes, the SM5000 isn't a full function analyzer with a big screen but I am using an SDR-IQ for that function. This radio is very competitive with "anything" ICOM has and even against the TS-990 when you consider the price difference.

Oh, and for those who don't know Yaesu is now providing support for replacement displays if your OLED goes bad in or out of warranty. You pay shipping... That isn't bad either when you consider that ICOM does nothing for 7700 owners who lose their finals (I know of three hams with this problem) and that is a $1500.00 repair.

K3MD Rating: 5/5 Sep 25, 2013 09:55 Send this review to a friend
Still working  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I got one of the vertical lines on one of the secondary displays at 4 months.
Fixed 16 days my door to my door, 0 cost. They pay shipping back.
Tim KT7F tech support very courteous.
This radio is fantastic! FT-950 is backup now. That is also a fantastic radio, but the FTDX-5000D is something else again! Outplays my old top of the line Icom.
I guess if I get another vertical white line I will send it back again!
Ready for contest season... that is the important thing, after all!

K6USN Rating: 5/5 Sep 24, 2013 18:51 Send this review to a friend
A Radio I will Keep  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I will not repeat much of what has been said already by those more technically savvy than I am. This clearly is a first rate radio.

I have had the FTDX 5000D almost a year and am still learning new things about it every day.

My comparison would be the IC 7700 which I owned for several years but had some issues with the finals. All radios seem to have some growing pains.
I have one 'nit' to pick, and it's been voiced by others. The SM 5000 monitor is not up to par with the rest of the radio.
Perhaps I was spoiled by the band scope on the IC 7700. The SM 5000 scope is quite limited in it's functionality.

Also for me (too many years around airplanes)the small speakers leave something to be desired regardless of setting. I solved the band scope issue by using my Elecraft P3 with the FTDX 5000, and using a Yaesu SP 2000 speaker instead of the built in speakers. For a radio at this price point, I should not have had to do this.

It would be very helpful if Yaesu would offer an after market upgrade to the SM 5000.

Overall, the best radio in my 55 years of ham radio, with the exception of the SM 5000.