Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur HF+6M+VHF+UHF models - not QRP <5W | Yaesu FTdx-5000 (including D and MP versions) Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu FTdx-5000 (including D and MP versions)
Yaesu FTdx-5000 (including D and MP versions) Reviews: 112 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $5750 (D version)
Description: The FT dx 5000 Series HF/50 MHz 200 Watt Transceivers are a new Premium Class of Yaesu radios with 2 Independent Receivers plus many unique options and accessories designed to meet the Performance Requirements of even the most demanding serious Amateur Radio operator.

You can write your own review of the Yaesu FTdx-5000 (including D and MP versions).

W4PF Rating: 5/5 Nov 4, 2015 07:05 Send this review to a friend
Good Radio, Good Buy  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have to agree with many of the folks that have stated this is a very good radio. I replaced my FT-2000 with the FT-5000 MP Limited. The Ft-2000 was a very good radio and the upgrade to the 5000 was worth the money. Not to mention that the price is at a good point now.
N5REL Rating: 5/5 Nov 3, 2015 18:52 Send this review to a friend
Super Rig  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
After many years with my trusty Icom 756Pro, I finally decided it was time for a new HF rig. I really wanted something with dual receivers, so that narrowed the field rather quickly. I considered this rig, the Icom 7600 (dual watch, not a true dual RX rig) and even the Kenwood TS990.

I was just about ready to flip a coin to make the decision, but I finally settled on the FTDX-5000MP after reading many reviews and on-air chatter among my peers - - not to mention a super-deal at MTC's Radio Day in Paris, TX a few weeks ago.

After owning it for a couple of weeks, I'm very pleased with my purchase.

The receiver, filtering and noise reduction is phenomenal. The layout and appearance of the radio is very intuitive and impressive. I was able to interface my W2IHY audio equipment very easily with the radio (although the radio has some pretty nice audio tailoring built in). The ability to dial up to 200W TX is nice when operating minus an amp.

I went ahead and accessorized my 5000 with the SM5000 station monitor / stereo speaker unit and even splurged on an Elite dust cover from The stereo audio is very rich from the SM5000 - - I would strongly encourage adding this item (and the dust cover).

I haven't scratched the surface on all the features and operation in various modes, so perhaps I'll provide a follow up review at a later date. But so far, I'm very pleased and look forward to several years of service from this radio. In my mind, it's the best value in Ham Radio for a big-box, contest-grade radio.

73 and God Bless,
Nathan N5REL
WA8UEG Rating: 5/5 Oct 28, 2015 10:36 Send this review to a friend
Great, Great Rig  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have been using the FT1000MP with all the filters and the Inrad roofing filter & CW mod for around 10 years. I did not think the 5000 would be all that big of an improvement, I was wrong! I purchased the FTdx5000LT which is the MP version without the display, the FH-2 is included and works great. It is superior to the 1000MP in every respect and a pure pleasure to use. Manual is excellent. If your looking for a serious radio the 5000LT is a great one.

N4QT Rating: 5/5 Oct 1, 2015 19:41 Send this review to a friend
Great engineering  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have a new ftdx5000mp with the sm5000 station monitor. I owned the FTdx3000d for the last nine months. I reviewed this rig on eham and gave it high marks. The 50000mp price has dropped recently. I missed two separate receivers and the big rig feel. After years with tiny buttons and multi level menus it was time to get back to my roots of large rigs with most functions at your finger tips. Much has been written about this rig over the past five years. It's simply the Best Buy in a high end rig on the market today. After five years any bugs it might have had have been addressed by Yaesu and resolved including the OLED issues.. The rumor mill indicates Yaesu will soon replace this radio with a new one. Now is a great time to purchase a great high end rig at a reasonable price.. Kenwood and icom don't come close with there high end rig prices. This is simply a great engineering marvel. With the best receiver I have used in over 56 years of ham radio.
HI8CJ Rating: 5/5 Sep 25, 2015 09:56 Send this review to a friend
SUPERB!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
The best radio I ever have and I had a lot of the them. No Oleds problem for me. Tx and Rx superb. Mine is FTDX5000MP Limited circa 2013.
PA1EC Rating: 5/5 Aug 13, 2015 23:37 Send this review to a friend
Great transceiver  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I own the 5000 since oktober 2014 and made a lot of QSO's. This rig is great. The DNR function is also very good. 200 watt rf power is more then enough for me. No problems with oleds or other things. Yaesu did a good job with this rig!!
K6USN Rating: 4/5 Aug 6, 2015 16:21 Send this review to a friend
OLED Problems still exist  Time owned: more than 12 months
I debated writing this review. The FTdx5000 is a superb radio in many ways and a pleasure to operate. It deserves a 5 for performance and a 0 for customer service and support.

My FTdx5000 was purchased new in late 2013 - by then the OLED 'issue' was well known. I thought I had waited long enough and that the problem had been corrected, but I guessed wrong.

The OLED failure is unsightly and unacceptable in a radio at this price point. Shipping this large and heavy radio back for repair is difficult and expensive. From other postings I can expect to spend $500 to replace the OLED's on a radio that continued to be marketed with a known flaw that does not usually appear until it is out of warranty.

I am disappointed in Yaesu's decision to let the buyer eat the expenses. Like many others, I will remember this next time I am in the market for a new rig.

KQ4YA Rating: 5/5 Jun 7, 2015 08:50 Send this review to a friend
Exceeded my expectations  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
My main transceiver had been the Kenwood TS-590S. It has been an excellent transceiver, fine audio on transmit and receive, and trouble free. So when I added the FTDX-5000MP to my station I hoped - but wasn't sure I would get - a transceiver that was markedly better. I needn't have worried. The 5000 exceeded my expectations because (1) the receiver is dead quiet, even without the noise reduction - and when you press the button to add that in, well the noise just goes away. It doesn't distort even at relatively high levels (2) multiple controls make it almost trivial to get rid of interfering close-in stations and (3) the quality of the build is outstanding.

Then, subjectively, the 13-year-old kid trapped inside my bald head loves the idea of a big box radio with a panel filled with knobs, switches and readouts. I know that's silly but it's been great fun.

The downsides of the radio include the lack of a USB port on the radio, a super convoluted system for making firmware updates and the OLED problems (they haven't appeared for me but there are so many reports of this problem that, even without their appearance, just the awareness that the potential for this lurks mars some of my enjoyment), and the knowledge that if I ever need to ship this thing off for Yaesu repair it's going to be both expensive plus a hassle lugging the 46 pound radio around. The SM-5000 station monitor's scope is less than adequate. And I had heard raves about the SM-5000 speakers - they are OK but not as good as the center speaker from a surround sound system that I had been using. Also the fact that the radio was designed and introduced a fairly long time ago made me hesitate.

I'm glad I didn't hesitate. I've had no buyer's remorse at all. I expected a lot given that the transceiver costs more than I have ever spent on a radio. It's exceeded all expectations. All the negatives fade when weighed against the performance of the radio. One last thing, and it's just subjective, some transceivers seem to just feel right when you use them. This one does that in spades.
W6GX Rating: 5/5 Feb 26, 2015 08:52 Send this review to a friend
A workhorse, no OLED problem in five years  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is my first review. I've owned this very early production unit since 2010. It has worked flawlessly for almost five years. My OLEDs still work fine.

This radio has very good DSP functions. There are very little artifacts added by DSP. The DNR is very good and better than Icom. Pulse-triggered AGC issue can be mitigated 100% by turning on NB. I also like the Yaesu ergonomics. All in all I'm very happy with this rig and I'm not looking for an upgrade anytime soon.
VE3OP Rating: 2/5 Jan 18, 2015 05:48 Send this review to a friend
OLED Problems  Time owned: more than 12 months
First, if you look at the ratings, 2 means "Needs help". Yaesu certainly does.

I won't repeat all of the wonderful features and capabilities of this radio - that has been covered in spades. This radio is still in the Top 5 hottest ham receivers ever tested, by Sherwood engineering, which is why I bought it in the first place. I generally rate the radio 10 out of 5.

Rather I will focus my review on the radio's display and Yaesu product support, particularly in support of the almighty, dreaded, certain-to-happen OLED problem.

My radio, like hundreds of others, finally succumbed to OLED failures. So far 2 out of 3. They don't affect performance, but they are sure annoying on a $7,000 radio system including all accessories.

First to credit Yaesu, a little bit. Even though technically my radio is out of warranty, they are prepared to replace any OLED that fails at no cost (value is $45 with their profit). Thank you. The first problem is with this approach, I will have to ship my beloved radio over 10,000 km return on a bouncing UPS truck. The second problem, and the same for all non-US hams, I will have to fill out a lot of customs paperwork sending and receiving. The third problem is that it will cost me over $300 to do so. The 4th problem, is that I will have to repeat problems 1-3 every time an OLED fails, because Yaesu refuses to replace all 3 at once - only the failed one(s) each time. That could mean an eventual 30,000 km trip in the back of a UPS truck, 6 border crossings, and a $900 shipping bill. To me, that suggested option belies all logic.

Apparently, the vendor I bought the radio from in Canada (Radio World) is either incapable of doing said repair work, or Yaesu won't let them.

The second option is that Yaesu will ship you an OLED free if you take photos of your failed OLED and send it to them. You can then replace it yourself. The problem with this option is that it takes 2 hours to fully disassemble the radio (following these instructions: if you are capable. And again, Yaesu will not give you all three at once, thus requiring you to spend up to 6 hours taking your radio apart and putting it back together.

This overall approach to the OLED problem is truly unfortunate. It ignores what Yaesu's higher paying customers are asking for. I also did the math. This approach is costing Yaesu more (in administrative and repair costs, let alone lost sales and brand damage costs) than if they just repaired all 3 at once or gave each owner 3 OLEDs (or charged for all 3 at cost).

In the end Yaesu provided me with one free OLED. I had no choice but to pay for the other two (total cost of $120). I will do the swap out myself.

Yaesu did a masterful job handling early FT9000 product issues with a field recall program. Makes me wonder why they are handling this flagship radio so differently.

I still recommend that you hand over $5,000 in your hard earned dollars to Yaesu. Just make sure you have an OLED replacement strategy in mind, if they have not been fixed already.