Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF models) | Yaesu FTdx-5000 (including D and MP versions) Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu FTdx-5000 (including D and MP versions)
Yaesu FTdx-5000 (including D and MP versions) Reviews: 94 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $5750 (D version)
Description: The FT dx 5000 Series HF/50 MHz 200 Watt Transceivers are a new Premium Class of Yaesu radios with 2 Independent Receivers plus many unique options and accessories designed to meet the Performance Requirements of even the most demanding serious Amateur Radio operator.
More info: http://www.yaesu.com/indexVS.cfm?cmd=DisplayProducts&ProdCatID=102&encProdID=12FF98B9C73C8988F2398C979793E2E1&DivisionID=65&isArchived=0

You can write your own review of the Yaesu FTdx-5000 (including D and MP versions).

K3MD Rating: 5/5 Sep 25, 2013 09:55 Send this review to a friend
Still working  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I got one of the vertical lines on one of the secondary displays at 4 months.
Fixed 16 days my door to my door, 0 cost. They pay shipping back.
Tim KT7F tech support very courteous.
This radio is fantastic! FT-950 is backup now. That is also a fantastic radio, but the FTDX-5000D is something else again! Outplays my old top of the line Icom.
I guess if I get another vertical white line I will send it back again!
Ready for contest season... that is the important thing, after all!

K6USN Rating: 5/5 Sep 24, 2013 18:51 Send this review to a friend
A Radio I will Keep  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I will not repeat much of what has been said already by those more technically savvy than I am. This clearly is a first rate radio.

I have had the FTDX 5000D almost a year and am still learning new things about it every day.

My comparison would be the IC 7700 which I owned for several years but had some issues with the finals. All radios seem to have some growing pains.
I have one 'nit' to pick, and it's been voiced by others. The SM 5000 monitor is not up to par with the rest of the radio.
Perhaps I was spoiled by the band scope on the IC 7700. The SM 5000 scope is quite limited in it's functionality.

Also for me (too many years around airplanes)the small speakers leave something to be desired regardless of setting. I solved the band scope issue by using my Elecraft P3 with the FTDX 5000, and using a Yaesu SP 2000 speaker instead of the built in speakers. For a radio at this price point, I should not have had to do this.

It would be very helpful if Yaesu would offer an after market upgrade to the SM 5000.

Overall, the best radio in my 55 years of ham radio, with the exception of the SM 5000.

G3RCE Rating: 5/5 Sep 23, 2013 11:25 Send this review to a friend
Superb performer  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is mainly to mention the recent update.
I mainly use cw and the latest September firmware update gives 4 separate settings for the APF audio peak filter which can really improve cw performance in difficult conditions.
It would be great if Elecraft would do something similar to improve the apf on the K3 and KX3, which are sadly lacking in comparison.
I agree that it would be an improvement if one could select a 1.8KHz roofing filter for ssb.
I think that this radio makes a superb base station.
Robert G3RCE

KB6HRT Rating: 5/5 Aug 19, 2013 10:41 Send this review to a friend
Still GREAT  Time owned: more than 12 months
Second update still the best HF radio I have owned, but did have the dreaded white vertical line in one of my sub displays, called Yaesu talked to TIM he said my Guarantee was expired, but he would send me a new display at no charge, he suggested I give it some time before I change it out because they sometimes right themselves.
about 2 weeks after that the white line when away and has never returned that has been about 3 months ago now, but still have the new display if it ever decides to return. this radio is the most flexable HF radio that I have every operated as far as operator control, it always has something one can do to improve your incoming signal when conditions are less than the best, still LOVE this radio after 2 -1/2 years of use...........kb6hrt

K4ELO Rating: 4/5 Aug 18, 2013 16:26 Send this review to a friend
Excellent, but...  Time owned: more than 12 months
A very good rig with some exceptions like the weak dsp and the oled problem. Otherwise, it would get a 5. Yaesu should really recall the radio and fix the oled problem on all of them at no charge, including shipping in both directions - this is a heavy radio.

A very good receiver, but not excellent. The 3K roofing filter is too wide for ssb qrm and the dsp is nearly useless to me. It does better on cw with tighter filters.

The auto notch filter and the noise reduction are very good. Effective and don't destroy the received audio quality.

I have done A/B comparisons with some other high end rigs. The summary is that the 5K holds it's own on weak signal reception but fails the test on ssb qrm rejection. They really need a tighter roofing filter and much better dsp.

I do like the design of the controls and the menu system. Yaesu got that stuff right.

So it's a keeper for me, but as a backup rig.
If you're curious about my main rig, send me an email. The address is good on qrz.

Wayne
K4ELO

WR3KI Rating: 2/5 Jul 21, 2013 07:45 Send this review to a friend
OLED displays are defective  Time owned: more than 12 months
Very good rig, however, for $5K+, Yaesu should stand behind the radio & repair defective OLED displays. On my rig, they have faded out & are USELESS/unreadable. For those who are unaware of this issue, the THREE displays on the right front panel fail & become unreadable. Others have found white lines appear in the OLED displays. This is NOT an isolated problem, but has been found in MANY FTDX-5K's My rig was manufactured in July 2011, & in two years I am looking of a repair bill plus shipping of several hundred bucks. OUCH. Until Yaesu steps up & does the right thing concerning this issue, I would not recommend this rig.

AD4C2006 Rating: 5/5 Jun 24, 2013 09:46 Send this review to a friend
A great performer  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
For almost six years I have been searching and buying high performance radios to compete with my lovely K3 without success,I have owned FT-950/FT-2000, IC7600, TT Orion II, TS-950SDX/TS-590,etc and none of them have proved me to be better performers than the K3 BUT finally the hunt for a better radio has come to the end.
I am a happy owner of a FTDX-5000MP fully loaded and after been using it for 3 days in all modes and bands I can tell that this big heavy radio is the bigger twin brother of my K3. They are very close each other in performance, I will tell here my first impressions of comparison between them.
RX sensitivity
There is no difference, both will receive same station equally with same meter reading and same clarity
RX noise floor
Although Sherwood lab table gave the 5000 a 3db less noise floor that the K3 I have not hear any difference at all.
RX SSB selectivity
Well I have to tell the truth, in this field the K3 is the winner,even the 5000 have a 3Khz roofer and a very well designed DSP, there is no way to notch out a strong station that be at 2Khz from your freq even using the shift. With the K3 and the use of the 1.8 Khz roofer plus the help of the notch knob, yes, you will be able to completely get rid of the QRM station 2 Khz away and have a clean freq.
RX NR
UPPSS! Here we go, the K3 NR is not good, I have never liked it, I have never used it, once you set the many modes of the NR to have the best result, the received audio will sound very robotic, you can't not avoy the artifacts of the digital processing at all, its anoying to hear a station sounding like within a cave at least for me is bad to hear it like that.
WOW Yaesu has designed the best noise reduction I have heard, this so called "DNR" is awsome, not only you will erase all the band noise but also the received station will sound so clear that it sound like been on FM, great results, I love it.!
NB
Both radios work the same, clean the noise and the audio is not distorded.
Notch
Both radios will cancel rapidly any carrier around your freq completely although I notice the K3 is faster doing the job.I like the small display on the 5000 that shows the freq of the notch that will help to locate rapidly the QRM carrier.
I can't tell anything about second receivers because my K3 has only one receiver but the second RX on this 5000 works as good as the main one and I like the way speakers and headphones are set to split them both.
VRF and Contour are tools that the K3 don't have to fight noise and QRM and that makes the 5000 slightly better than the K3.
RX audio
Both radios sound the same, I have not noticed any difference in audio quality.
I have not heard so far in any of these two radios any birds,chirps or any form of received intermod with or without the antenna.
One thing I noticed is how quite is the 5000 as the K3 as well, when I disconect the antena is a total silence even with the RF gain all the way up likewise the K3.

ok, now lets jump into the TX.
TX audio quality.
Using the same mic on both radios, the Heil PR-40 and setting the 3 parametric EQ I could get a very well smooth balanced audio from 80 to slightly over 3100Hz,I have the same result on my K3 BUT on the air the reports tell me the 5000 has a better audio response than the K3 and certainly I agree, I heard myself in the K3 and it sound pretty good.You can see both radios TX audio graphs on qrz under my call sign AD4C.
I like the fact of been able to drop the output power to 75W trough the class A switch which is very convenient not to overdrive my AL-82 amp.
Scopes
This my only dislike from the 5000 and I am sure you all who own this radio will agree, the top spectrum scope is almost useless, its lacking sensitivity, you won't be able to see signals below S9, with my K3 using the the P3 panadapter I am able to see weak signals between S3 and S6 easily and know how the band is. So I am keeping the scope on the 5000 off, no point to keep it running. I hope that Yaesu address this issue and someday maybe have a firmware update for us.
CW
WOW, I am impressed of how well the cw filters work like my K3 although I will have to be honest and tell that I notice still some ringing noise specially when using the DSP between 50 and 100 Hz bandwith, this will not happen in my K3 wich no matter how narrow the DSP be set it will have a clean audio without any ringing noise.
End of the story, both radios are handshacking in my desk and I will keep this 5000MP surely for long time. I will give it a 5 in spite of the scope not working as it should be.
Thanks to Yaesu for making a high end radio at an afordable price.
You all enjoy it as much as I am.

Hector
AD4C

K3MD Rating: 5/5 Jun 11, 2013 15:05 Send this review to a friend
Yes  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I had been holding out on doing a review of the FTDX-5000D in order to avoid "new rig euphoria." I purchased the 5000D after viewing the chart contained in http:www.remeeus.eu/hamradio/pa1hr/productreview.htm. I had matching IC-7800 and IC-7600 station setups, and sold both rigs to get the 5000 and a backup FT-950, since I have had trouble switching between manufacturers before in mid-contest rig failure or SO2R operation. The worst example of this was the IC-7800 and K3 setup. Two totally different methods of cybernetic electronic control! I thought I would never replace the IC-7800, and made around 70,000 QSO's on it.
The FTDX-5000D is totally impossible to overload, now matter how you adjust or incorrectly adjust the IPO and attenuator. I use IPO1 on 40M and AMP2 on 20/15/10 as of now. There is no need for using the attenuator, the rig just does not overload. Not a trace of IMD anywhere.
In CW and RTTY contesting, the rig cannot be beat. It is difficult to understand that any rig would be better than the 7800, but this rig is. The best feature is the continuously adjustable bandwidth down to 100 Hz on CW. This is excellent. The skirts are very sharp, and I do not see a need for the MP 300Hz roofing filter for my application. This can be added separately if you wish. The other feature of the MP is the 0.05 ppm TXCO, which is more accurate than I can use for the ARRL Frequency Measuring Test. The DNR is as good or better than the Icom, and the Digital Notch Filter is beyond belief, it is so good. I never had use for the twin peak filter in RTTY contesting... the main problem with RTTY contesting is QRM wiping our one station or the other with "capture" effect. I find 300 to 400 Hz filtering to be adequate for RTTY contesting.
The rig takes at least a month to get used to driving. The adjustments for transmitted bandwidth on SSB and octave-specific audio tailoring on SSB work very well, especially if you want a treble-accentuated voice for contesting.
So far I have run 3 CW, 1 mixed, and 1 RTTY contest.
The DVK and contest keyers are very easy to program... no problem at all. I prefer the built-in DVK's because of previous experience with RF feedback, particularly on 6 and 10 meters.
Yaesu listens to its users, and has incorporated a real analog meter, one with actual inertia of the meter pointer, not a facsimile of one without inertia used in the IC-7800.
The antenna tuner is slow, but works flawlessly.
The Yeasu does not have built-in RTTY and PSK31, but this is not needed in the modern shack, with MMTTY and Digipan available. Connecting the rig to your computer is very easy, especially with available pre-made idiot-proof jumpers from West Mountain Radio.
For the money, the Yaesu cannot be beat. The specs are better than the FTDX-9000, with a much lower price tag. Initial testing of the FTDX-3000 does not yield the same numbers as the 5000 (Dayton 2013... Contest University).
The rig has a good cybernetic feel, and is a cousin in lineage to the FT-1000 and FT-1000MP.
What do I not like? You must readjust the delay on VOX or Semi-break in CW when switching from SSB to CW in a single contest. Most likely this will be corrected in a later software release.
I did wait 3 years for the bugs to be evident in this rig. So far, no bugs at my QTH.
The station monitor has a different appearance to it than the Icom bandscope, but is equally useful. Often I turn it off during assisted-mode contesting. The speaker system/ receive audio is superior to Icom or Elecraft.
Personally I do not have use for the VRF or the u-tune addition, but they would come in handy in a multi-multi environment.
I will do another review of this rig after pounding out around 25,000 Q's on it.
This is a big radio... the K3 is better for DXPeditions. The FT-857D/ IC-7000 are also good for DXPeditons... I have used them. The K3's are legendary in that you can eliminate the bandpass filters for M/M at the 500 watt level!. Nice!
The manual is great... only 144 pages! It is easier if you have already owned an FT-2000 or FT-950.
Yes! Down-conversion front end on the main receiver!

N0PQK Rating: 4/5 May 29, 2013 22:26 Send this review to a friend
Amazing Radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The receiver on this thing is fantastic. (Yeasu FT-5000MP)I dare say the best receiver I have every used on any radio.

The only down side is that SM-5000 is lagged 500 milliseconds to 1 second behind what is heard.

If I did not need the 0.05ppm OCXO I would have gone with the base model and used an SDRIQ as a spectrum display.

I like every thing else about this radio.

K9PLK Rating: 5/5 Apr 11, 2013 21:21 Send this review to a friend
CW HA!   Time owned: more than 12 months
I saw som ratings here about cw for this rig ! Well lets start by saying if you bought this rig for just cw your nuts! This rig has the best ssb receiver I have ever heard! So if you think for a moment cw is where its all about then dont buy this rig! CW IS A DEAD ISSUE!