Reviews Categories | Ham radio kits | HAMKITT TS-570 DISPLAY MOD & FIX Help

Reviews Summary for HAMKITT TS-570 DISPLAY MOD & FIX
HAMKITT  TS-570  DISPLAY MOD & FIX Reviews: 8 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $34.95
Description: Turn Your Kenwood Ts-570 from a
"Orange / Yellow color".... to a "COOL BLUE COLOR"...
in less than one evening..to modify the Kenwood's screen to a new cool blue color.... (( Detailed step by step instructions from start to finsih... ))
More info: http://www.hamkitt.com

You can write your own review of the HAMKITT TS-570 DISPLAY MOD & FIX.

AC6EG Rating: 4/5 Oct 4, 2013 14:52 Send this review to a friend
Good Kit - Ugly Display!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
OK, maybe "ugly" is a little over the top, but no more of an exaggeration than "outstanding" or "cool blue" or "may increase the value of your rig." After reading all of these rave reviews, maybe I was expecting too much. After hours of tedious work I expected to really be wowed by the new look. I was not. My first impression was that the new display color wasn't blue at all but a dingy gray. Each of the six LEDs produced a large irregularly shaped bright white spot along the top of the top edge of the display and the backlighting was very splotchy and uneven. After living with the altered display for a while I began to see that it was indeed a pale blue color but because of the uneven backlighting looked very unprofessional. Before I installed this kit, only the two center OEM incandescent bulbs were still working, but you could barely tell where they were located and they managed to uniformly illuminate the entire display. I found the "spotlighting" effect of the LEDs so irritating that I later pulled them all out and replaced them with wide angled "flat top" LEDs that were modified by using a Dremel tool to scuff up the tops of the bulbs to disperse the light even more. This was done after a lot of experimenting with a multi-color assortment of the newly developed wide angled "flat-top" LEDs plugged into a Radio Shack Experimenter's board powered by an adjustable power supply. I chose to use green LEDs the 2nd time around and was richly rewarded with a perfectly uniform bright green display that rivals the look of the new TS-590s. The display is now so bright I usually leave it dimmed down two notches.

The "pale blue" LEDs that come with this kit are not really blue at all. Nobody makes a pale blue LED. These are actually white round top LEDs that look pale blue because they are the same color temperature as some cheap florescent lights I've seen that look bluish. I strongly urge anyone contemplating the installation of this kit to take the time to first do a little experimenting. Hook up the LED's to a power source and see for yourself how much light emanates from the top of the bulb as compared to the side of the bulb. Bright light coming out of the top of round top LED's produces the unattractive spotlighting effect and should be minimized as much as possible. After you have removed the OEM bulbs, power up an LED and poke it into a mounting hole while observing the LCD to find the best mounting depth. I mounted mine with the bottoms of the LED's flush with the back of the PC board. Of the two flavors included in the kit, the white LED's are probably the better choice because they emit at least a little light from the sides. It appeared to me that almost all of the light coming from the blue LEDís was focused into a narrow beam out of the top of the bulb. I also suspect that it would be a little harder to see the black characters on the LCD against a dark blue background. Be aware that if you use different LED's than the ones that come in the kit, you may also need to change the value of the series resistors.

The detailed instructions and photographs included in the kit are absolutely superb. Even if you are not interested in changing the color of the display but need to replace some burned out bulbs, you should buy this kit to find out how to safely disassemble your radio and make the repairs. Good luck on finding suitable replacement incandescent bulbs!

Gary
AC6EG

W2JAW Rating: 5/5 May 3, 2013 21:20 Send this review to a friend
Best LED kit for Transceivers  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just got the kit tonight and installed the LED's with the excellent instructions Joe includes with the Kit.

I didn't know that the kit had both types of blues, a Darker Blue and a Whiter/Blue. I installed the lighter almost White blue and just love it.

Instructions were super easy to follow and now my rig looks like it came from the factory that way.

Thanks Joe for an awesome kit that makes my TS570S look even more beautiful.

John

W2JAW

WB8ACU Rating: 5/5 Feb 12, 2013 12:11 Send this review to a friend
GREAT MOD!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This modification is definately worth pursuing. It adds to the appearance and makes the rig look new again. The detailed instructions were very easy to follow, and the extra parts included came in handy. Joe must have had me in mind by putting extra parts in the kit, due to my heavy handed soldering techniques.
Joe is easy to communcate with and very accomodating if something is needed. I would highly recommend this display mod kit!

KK6L Rating: 5/5 Dec 23, 2012 00:02 Send this review to a friend
A Great Mod at a Great Price!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This mod worked really well for me in a TS-570SG. If you follow the directions, you really can't go wrong. Be careful on the mic knob step though. If' you'r not careful, you can slip while trying to back the nut out and scratch the front of your radio, like I did. Looks great otherwise: a nice cool white/blue.

W4KFK Rating: 5/5 Dec 2, 2012 14:07 Send this review to a friend
Really Good !!  Time owned: months
I just installed the blue lamp kit in my TS570D and am so happy with it. The old yellow screen was not good and this really looks and works so well. The instructions are superior and I even had a dumb question and w0iw was very cordial and helpful. I really recommend this to every TS570 owner and I think it also works on other Kenwood units.

VE2EZD Rating: 5/5 Mar 5, 2012 10:00 Send this review to a friend
More than meets the eye!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I don't like the idea of having small incandescent bulbs heating inside my radios.

My backup/"Field Day"/"go everywhere" radio is a Kenwood TS-570D(G). As I often run this radio on batteries I wanted to update its display from bulbs to LEDs. To make a long story short, the blue LED display kit from Hamkitt was retired just before I decided to buy one. Great news: the kit is back!

I ordered a kit right away. What I received was exactly what Hamkitt is saying about it. High quality parts and spare LEDs and resistors in case something went wrong.

With the clear instructions, everything went exactly as planned. Worth noting: the characters and pictures in the instruction sheets are big enough so you don't need to decipher them in the middle of the project with a soldering iron in one hand and the part to install in the other one.

The display is great and the contrast is much better than the amber display. The surface of the display don't become warm as it did with those miniature bulbs. It's exactly what I was looking for.

A lot of us modify our own radios. Figuring out how to do it is often time consuming. One could figure out how to change the TS-570 display from bulbs to leds and order the parts. Joe's solution is a VERY cost effective everything included kit.

I tried the radio this weekend during the ARRL DX Phone contest. The rig is connected to an Aspire One notebook running N1MM. This will be my Field day setup and the "new" display makes a great difference. I had the occasion to test it under very different lightning conditions and the LED selection is perfect.

Thank you Joe for making it available again!

KB3OMF Rating: 5/5 Jan 4, 2011 22:30 Send this review to a friend
Love This Display  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
First, I would like to say that I've been a Ham operator for only 3 years and I'm not an electronics expert. I purchased Joe's TS-570 display kit because I was never a fan of amber lights on my radio's face plate, That said, when I received the blue display mod kit, I was impressed with the detailed instruction booklet that Joe has put together to help even an amateur like me do this mod with confidence. Step by step detailed pictures walk you through the installation. It took me only 3 - 1/2 hours and wow, a blue display, that is easier to read for these poor tired eyes. I called Joe to ask a question and he responded in quick fashion. The technical support that I received was by far better than any other company I've dealt with. The big boys could learn a thing or two from Joe. I am very pleased with the Kit and The Service, not to mention that awesome blue display that Joe has provided.
Thanks Joe
KB3OMF
Frank

KM9E Rating: 5/5 Mar 10, 2010 19:03 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding - Cool Blue!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I actually bought the mod for the TS-570 and love the difference it has made on this radio. The kit says an evening to complete, however, I had the radio back together in 1.25 hrs! Of course, I run a two way shop & have experience in working with electronics/radios. Even with modest tools & soldering iron, anyone could do this in 3 hours or less. The instructions are outstanding w/color pics to lead you through every step of the process successfully. Shades of Heathkit, but multitudes better. Great job, Joe & gang!