Reviews Categories | SWR & Wattmeters & Dummy Loads | Nissei RS-40 Help

Reviews Summary for Nissei RS-40
Nissei RS-40 Reviews: 6 Average rating: 2.8/5 MSRP: $35
Description: VHF/UHF SWR/Power meter

You can write your own review of the Nissei RS-40.

N2UOG Rating: 5/5 Apr 1, 2013 21:02 Send this review to a friend
Nice SWR/Watt Meter  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I needed a small portable swr/power meter that I could quickly check my mobiles power and antenna efficiently without having to unhook the units that are permonitory hooked in line with my base stations. I researched a number of them before I zeroed in on the Nissei RS-40. After reading the mixed reviews I was a bit apprehensive about ordering one but I desided to take a chance anyway. When it arrived I noticed it was well made, looked good and had a good feel to it, the next thing I did was compare the swr and power rating on one of my radio's to a known accurate swr/power meter that I own and I'm happy to say that it was accurate and I will keep this unit. Before I purchased this meter I told the retailer that if I didn't like the meter I was going to send it back but thankfully I don't have to, I don't know about the other poor reviews but all I can say is that this was just what I was looking for in a portable swr/power meter. I've been a ham for 20 years and this will be a nice useful addition to my equipment.

KJ4LUP Rating: 2/5 Aug 18, 2012 05:34 Send this review to a friend
Can be fixed.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I took a chance and ordered this meter.
Power readings are off on all levels.
SWR barely moves even without an antenna.

So why do I give it 2 stars?
1. Beautifully constructed.
2. Contains 5 potentiometers which I have used to calibrate it.

I decided not to send it back but rather to 'fix' a new item. Something about the other hams going on and on about "...in my days I could not get/afford xyz so I built my own test equipment..."
If they could have done it, then I should be able to troubleshoot an already completed product.
I have adjusted the 5 potentiometers so that the readings are on par with my other meters. So it works.

My evaluation remains: 2 Stars - Needs Help.

VE3BDE Rating: 5/5 May 29, 2012 07:45 Send this review to a friend
GREAT METER  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just got mine yesterday,working fine from a professional point of view I will give 5 stars.
Looks like MFJ-844 very solid construction.
Tested on Icom 7000 VHF reading 55 W, and UHF 35-37 W on <1.2 SWR.

VK4JAZ Rating: 5/5 Feb 4, 2012 02:28 Send this review to a friend
Nice meter  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
At first I didn't believe the readings mine was giving me so I took it to a fellow operator who also had one. I checked mine on his set up and got great readings on the Power as well as SWR scales. I learned that my dummy load was good for HF only, so borrowed a VHF/UHF one and now get great readings for my set up in the shack. The meter is also a great looking one. Display is easy to read even at a quick glance. Small enough to slip in your pocket too for mobile work.

SQ5IRH Rating: 0/5 May 27, 2010 07:22 Send this review to a friend
Hopeless!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Completely false indication of power.
Incorrect indication of SWR.
The only advantage of this device is a nice look.
She was returned to the dealer.

M5AEO Rating: 0/5 Mar 27, 2010 04:42 Send this review to a friend
Hopeless!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
It is beautifully constructed, but simply doesn't work! I tested antennas with known SWR measurments, and the needle didn't budge. Forward power measurements were OK, but for SWR? forget it! It went back to the shop next day.
(Beware: also apprears as MFJ-844).