Reviews Categories | Amateur Radio Equipment Repair | Small Wonder Labs Repair & Alignment by W3DVX Help

Reviews Summary for Small Wonder Labs Repair & Alignment by W3DVX
Small Wonder Labs Repair & Alignment by W3DVX Reviews: 21 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $60/hr. Const: contact for quote
Description: Williamsport, PA. W3DVX since 1955; Amateur Extra since 1957. Built dozens of Heathkits, Elecrafts, and SWL products. Electrical Engineer (computer h/w & s/w).In addition to building new kits, will finish kits for you if you need help. Repair of all SWL products. Reasonable rates. Also see reviews listed under "Elecraft Repair & Alignment by W3DVX."
More info: http://WilcoxEngineering.com

You can write your own review of the Small Wonder Labs Repair & Alignment by W3DVX.

K2DKT Rating: 5/5 Sep 26, 2010 18:09 Send this review to a friend
Great service!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Alan, W3DVX, responded rapidly to my pleas for help and I sent off my recently completed SW+40. He found the problems quickly (a faulty regulator and toroid leads that had not been sufficiently scraped), kept me informed and speedily returned my functioning transceiver. He even provided some helpful suggestions for my next attempt at kit building. Prices are very reasonable. Highly recommended!

QRP817 Rating: 5/5 Jul 23, 2010 18:28 Send this review to a friend
Fast & professional  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
After Dave at Small Wonder Lab couldn't find the time and energy to repair my SWL 40+ CW rig , I sent it to Alan for repair (receive worked after I built the kit, but transmit didn't). He maintained good communications with me, and turned it around quickly. Recommend him. Charges are reasonable.

W7BRM Rating: 5/5 Jul 17, 2010 10:32 Send this review to a friend
Absolutely recommended for QRP repair  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Wow. That's all I can say about this service. I sent Alan a 20 mtr QRP rig I had picked up on eBay, which I thought I had dropped and damaged. He aligned it, tweaked the power up a bit, adjusted the frequency range as I had requested, and the total cost to me, which included shipping both ways, was about $75. Truly a great value for the money, and I unhesitatingly recommend it.

KC2VNI Rating: 5/5 Jun 27, 2010 04:19 Send this review to a friend
Rockmite Radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This radio was a challenge so I sent it to W3DVX. He built a 14.060 MHZ version of the Rockmite which is encased in a "Mity Box" (done by a machine shop called "American Morse").

In this case, I'd like to point out something else I did with W3DVX:

We thought about battery boxes for these small rigs. In this case, portability and weight were large factors so I decided to get the following parts:
1) Radio Shack automotive in-line fuse holder
2) Anderson Power Pole for 15A
3) Radio Shack Battery Pack that holds 8 "AA" batteries.

I described what I wanted to W3DVX and he built it. He made several suggestions to improve on the design I came up with.

Again, I would recommend his work. He is thorough and honest.

KC2VNI Rating: 5/5 Jun 9, 2010 12:59 Send this review to a friend
Built a Small Wonders Labs 40 Meter Radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
W3DVX does a terrific job.In this case, I found out that the Small Wonders Labs CW transceiver was over my head as far as my ability to build it.

I sent it over to W3DVX. He put it together and sent me progress pictures of the project in the middle of the build and at the end of the build.

He's phenomenal in terms of his service.

I look forward to using W3DVX again.

K4ALE Rating: 5/5 Jun 3, 2010 05:57 Send this review to a friend
Great service  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Alan was referred to me by Dave Benson at SWL for a problem with my PSK 20. Alan's communication was great. He got to my problem quickly, handled the warranty claim, re-aligned the rig, and shipped it back fast. The rig works great--a contact with England yesterday on a little qrp half-square antenna at 25 feet. His fees are quite reasonable.

KB3SII Rating: 5/5 May 21, 2010 14:58 Send this review to a friend
Quick PSK-20 build  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Alan built my PSK-20 kit in a week using toroidguy pre-wound coils. Workmanship was superb and the alignment was accurate. Alan charges fair prices for great work including all minor mods and tweaks that he has learned while working with Dave's PSK series transceivers. I use an NUE-PSK unit and they work well together for field ops. I plan on adding a N3ZI DDS2 so I can tune the whole band, including the SSB portion.

W1JDD Rating: 5/5 Apr 26, 2010 17:38 Send this review to a friend
Stellar Experience  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
My Small Wonder Labs PSK-20 wouldn't transmit after my careful and meticulous assembly of it was done, and I ended up sending the radio to Alan to diagnose. It turned out that a transistor in the PA stage was bad (and was thus covered under the radio's warranty.)

Alan was happy to communicate via e-mail and telephone. What's more, he diagnosed, repaired, aligned, and shipped back the radio *within 1 day after he received it from me*.

Alan's professionalism and speed were both noticed and appreciated, and I highly recommend his services.

WA4EQW Rating: 5/5 Apr 10, 2010 06:18 Send this review to a friend
Nice Job Alan  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Thanks Alan. Received it back and am having a ball with it again. Thanks for the quick turn around. Would recommend your service to any ham who needs it.
Pat. wa4eqw

K4UJA Rating: 5/5 Mar 26, 2010 06:14 Send this review to a friend
Excellent professional service  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Following several highly successful Elecraft builds I requested that Alan look at a SWL PSK-31-20 meter unit to evaluate and align as needed and he did an excellent job. I then had him build another SWL PSK-31-40 meter kit and again the workmanship and care were first class and prompt. Alan is a terrific resource, professional, highly skilled and in my opinion fairly priced, a wonderful resource for those of us who are not builders or those who want professional help for kit projects. He quickly provides an accurate quote and an itemized bill when the works completed, I highly recommend Alan Wilcox, W3DVX.