Reviews Categories | Ham radio kits | Rockless QRP transeiver/VFO kit Help

Reviews Summary for Rockless QRP transeiver/VFO kit
Rockless QRP transeiver/VFO  kit Reviews: 2 Average rating: 4.5/5 MSRP: $15 -75
Description:
As Featured in November 2009 QST.
More info: http://www.rocklessqrp.com/

You can write your own review of the Rockless QRP transeiver/VFO kit.

WB0FDJ Rating: 5/5 Oct 7, 2010 08:52 Send this review to a friend
Simple and effective  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
This is, in essence, a Rockmite/VFO combo. I had added to my 20 meter Rockmite a simple (but unfortunately minimally effective) varactor VXO mod, so when I saw the Rockless with it's VFO I immediately ordered one! 40 Mtrs is a great QRP band so it's a natural choice. I bought a complete kit with the 10 turn potentiometer, which gives you a larger enclosure and a little more room to fit things. Everything arrived in the package and I took my time with the build. This is not exactly a "Heathkit" style kit (not a criticism) but anyone who takes their time and reads the directions won't have a problem. Theres' plenty of good and useful info on the website to keep you in the clear.

Once built I found the experience of listening to the DC receiver a real pleasure, just like ole Doug (the late great W1FB) said in his QRP publications. I get a clean 700 mW output without chirps of other drama. How does it work? Well my first CQ from southern MN at 7030 mHz (on a moderately crowded band) yielded a call from a VE6 who was a little more than 1000 miles away in Edmonton who gave me 439.

This rig is as simple as one can get and yet still make some fun QRPp contacts. Recommended for it's simplicity.

N4ZAW Rating: 4/5 Mar 16, 2010 06:02 Send this review to a friend
An easy and fun build!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Had a blast with this little kit. But had I to do it all over, I would've purchased the COMPLETE kit,as the parts were a tad rough to accrue and the keyer chip requires "burning" a program onto. I built and use mine with an EXTERNAL keyer (MFJ keyer/reader).
The instructions were straightforward and the build went flawlessly.
I only gave it "4.0" because of the keyer chip issue. Granted, the design cuts-down on bench periphery by incorporating it's own keyer circuit, but by giving the design instructions to incorporate one's own external keyer would "fix" everything,and it would deserve a "high-five". I've made a couple contactd, but am lousey at CW and a tad "key-shy".
The RX is clean and strong. Drift is actually noticeable for the first ten minutes or so, but then, it settles beautifly! "Rock"-solid!
If you like building things and like "cute" QRP rigs, you'll love this little jewel... 'Twas a HOOT!