Reviews Categories | Microphones | AB5N - HM-36 IC-7200 / -7600 Mic. Modification Help

Reviews Summary for AB5N - HM-36 IC-7200 / -7600 Mic. Modification
Reviews: 23 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $32.90
Description: Modification of recent-manufacture Icom HM-36 hand microphones that come with the Icom IC-7200 and IC-7600 to improve frequency response and drive. The modification replaces the microphone element and capacitor.
More info: http://www.7000mic.com/IC7200.htm

You can write your own review of the AB5N - HM-36 IC-7200 / -7600 Mic. Modification.

WA2EHL Rating: 5/5 Aug 30, 2016 13:20 Send this review to a friend
Excellent service  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
My HM-133 mike never sounded better on D-STAR or FM since being modified by Bob.I sent the mike to him on Wednesday and got it back the following Monday.Service is excellent!

W4FMS Rating: 5/5 Aug 11, 2016 12:58 Send this review to a friend
Icom HM-36 mic mod  Time owned: more than 12 months
My Icom HM-36 which was Chinese manufacture and got it new with an IC-7600. The audio was dull and muffled and most listeners recommended putting it back in the drawer after hearing it.

Bob modified the HM-36 with a new element and it sounds fantastic. I've always enjoyed using a hand mic and now use the HM-36 with my 7600 all the time. I get great audio reports of bright and clear audio.

Bob is great to deal with and highly recommend.

K0KSL Rating: 5/5 Feb 5, 2016 15:55 Send this review to a friend
Wonderful MOD!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Several Months ago I received my new IC-7200. Knowing the HM-36 MIC was standard Chinese issue, I immediately sent off to Bob.

The audio reports have been better than good. Today I compared the HM-36 with my SM-30 with another station, and the modified HM-36 won out. According to the other station, it wasn't even close. Other reports have been "sounds broadcast quality."

And, the MIC output is very high (turn down the gain!).

Thanks Bob for a great design and MOD!

AF7RV Rating: 5/5 Nov 13, 2015 19:03 Send this review to a friend
Why couldn't Icom do this?!?  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
One would think that a world class transceiver manufacturer would spend a few extra pennies for a decent stock mic, but so is the way of corporate cost savings on the back of an unsuspecting consumer.

Bob Nagy's microphone overhaul is worth every cent. My audio reports went from something like Charlie Brown's school teacher to crystal clear 59's on my IC-7200 without even touching the speech compressor. If you need a compact mic for field day and are stuck with one of those HM-36 paperweights, let Bob repair it. Have him replace that fragile PTT switch at the same time. If you don't, you will wish you did at the worst possible time - on the air in the wild without a backup mic slowly growing horse while yelling into a Chinese knock-off hockey puck.

Great Job Bob! Keep up the good work!

N5BMD Rating: 5/5 Jul 20, 2015 22:02 Send this review to a friend
A must for Icom 718  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I'm returning to amateur radio after 25 years away. After researching the Icom IC-718, I decided it was the radio for me. The rig lived up to my expectations - except when I keyed the microphone. The watt meter barely moved. AB5N's HM 36 mic mod has made a HUGE difference in modulation. Friends I usually talk to noticed an immediate difference. I continue to get compliments. I sent the mic to Bob on a Monday and had it back by the following Saturday. Thanks for your quick, excellent work.

N2VU Rating: 5/5 Nov 23, 2014 08:40 Send this review to a friend
Mod applies to other ICOM mics as well!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Bob has modified several other mics for me:

- HM-152
- HM-133
- HM-133V x2
- HM-207 x2

For as much as anyone can assume modifying their mic's themselves, what Bob Nagy does so effectively with these hand mic's makes any of these associated ICOM radios sound so, so much better and also makes them FEEL better too.

What he does to the mic's - or at least to mine was;

- Change the capsule for one that has far better dynamic range and overall sound
- Swap out the high-pass filter capacitor, allowing for the qualities of the capsule to be appreciated
- Swap out the factory pop-filter (foam at the mic hole in the mic case) to one that's less dense and more acoustically transparent yet still affective.
- Subtly opens/widens that microphone hole just a bit without affecting the aesthetics in any way
- And a detail that I really appreciate a lot is the one once weight that Bob adds to the inside of the case which gives the mic a far better, solid, dense feel.

I first had Bob do the mod to my HM-207 which is the mic that comes with the ICOM ID-5100 D-Star Radio. The results exceeded my expectations. Having two 5100's I compared the modified and unmodified mic's on the air and the reports were all the same. Everyone said that the modified mic sounded louder, clearer, fuller, warmer as for detail, it was as if toggling between being many miles away from the repeater to being at the repeater simply far better than stock.

Suffice it to say that my second shipment to Bob was a box that had the other HM-207 and the HM-133's for my other ICOM radios! Well worth the price now that all my ICOM's sound so much better. I literally get unsolicited remarks about my audio very often. By the way, his turnaround time is pretty impressive too. Each time he worked on the mic's the day he got them and shipped them right back.

Great guy, very impressive and affective mod with stellar results. The AB5n mod is a must!!

K6HMD Rating: 5/5 Nov 11, 2014 22:16 Send this review to a friend
OUTSTANDING!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Wow, simply wow. Bob got my mic on Friday, upgraded it and shipped it back the same day - it just doesn't get any faster than that! His workmanship was top notch. I'm a (lazy) EE and see lab work all day, his work is as good as any of the techs I work with.

This mic had terrible signal reports as received with my 7600 from ICOM (ICOM you should be ashamed) before Bob worked his magic. My first attempt following Bob's upgrade was 599 and outstanding voice quality! I did several tests with my local club and they reported great dynamic range and great copy. If you have a HM-36 send it to Bob. It's simply a no brainer and you'll be sorry you hesitated. Thank you Bob, you ROCK!!!

KK7XE Rating: 5/5 Jul 11, 2014 09:55 Send this review to a friend
Makes the 7200 Great!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is the second mic that Bob has done for me on a 7200. It really makes the radio a joy to use with outstanding audio.
Everyone has a preference as to how they like to set the parameters on their radio, but how ever you like it, it will work very very well.

I think the 7200 for the money, is the best. It's too bad they went for a poor quality manufacture of the HM-36 but Bob's mod makes it a very complete radio. I enjoy using a hand mic and no matter what else I try, always come back to the hand mic.

The mod is done at a very fair price and with very quick turn around time on getting your mic back.

Thank you very much Bob. You do an awesome job at a very fair price.

KF5FHV Rating: 5/5 Apr 30, 2014 07:48 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding performance  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Ive been using my upgraded HM-36 for about a week now and can say that this was WELL WORTH THE MONEY! My IC7200 was getting almost no drive with 100% mic gain from the original mic now getting full ALC with about 40-50% mic gain. Huge improvement! Very fast turn around time as well from Bob. Thanks!

WG7GW Rating: 5/5 Apr 2, 2014 17:45 Send this review to a friend
Great Work!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I sent Bob my HM-36 mic from a new IC-7200. Turn around was 4 days ... from the time I dropped the package at the post office until the box came back to my door. Outstanding service.

Bob tested that mic and gave me a written summary of how the sound was improved on his test equipment. I had previously tested the mic through a dummy load to my primary transceiver in the shack. When the mic was returned, I tested again. Didn't change any settings. Wow! What a difference. I'll need to re-adjust the transmit audio now.

I also sent him 2 HM-133 mics from my ID-880H radios. Although Bob was concerned that the difference in transmit quality might be small, the reports that I have received on DSTAR and Analog have been great. "Sounds just like you, Gene."

Overall, this is a service I would recommend to anyone.

73!