Reviews Categories | Microphones | AB5N - HM-36 IC-7200 / -7600 Mic. Modification Help

Reviews Summary for AB5N - HM-36 IC-7200 / -7600 Mic. Modification
Reviews: 23 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $32.90
Description: Modification of recent-manufacture Icom HM-36 hand microphones that come with the Icom IC-7200 and IC-7600 to improve frequency response and drive. The modification replaces the microphone element and capacitor.
More info: http://www.7000mic.com/IC7200.htm

You can write your own review of the AB5N - HM-36 IC-7200 / -7600 Mic. Modification.

WD9HOT Rating: 5/5 Jan 8, 2014 13:36 Send this review to a friend
Lighting Fast Return  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Wow, Mic arrived on Monday, Was modded and shipped out at 3 pm Tuesday, Arrived at my door on Wednesday. And like the other reviews...Cost effectiveness with great performance, Bob Rocks

KD8IGK Rating: 5/5 Nov 4, 2013 18:49 Send this review to a friend
Fixed my Audio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I made a mod to the HM-36 ICOM Mic but while it made some improvement in audio lows it did nothing about the lack of gain. So I sent this to AB5N for a replacement element. His turn around time was less than a week and I tried it out for a SOTA event last weekend with my ICOM 7200. Wow, I got one compliment after another during the event working SSB on 20M with 50 Watts. I have been able to back the gain and compression down to a very low level and still am able to get the WM-1 peak meter to indicate 100 Watts, which my previous modification could never do.

WS9E Rating: 5/5 Jul 21, 2013 17:44 Send this review to a friend
Great job on HM-36!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I sent the stock HM-36 hand mic. that came with my IC-7410 to AB5N. Very short turn around time. I had it back in a couple of days.
The modified mic. works great. The first day I put it on the air, a station, from Italy, broke into the QSO and said: "I just want you to know that you have the most wonderful audio of anyone on the band."
AB5N gives great service and his mod really does the job.

KC8Y Rating: 5/5 Jun 17, 2013 11:21 Send this review to a friend
Super Mic after his modification :)  Time owned: more than 12 months
Have an IC-7410 transceiver; sure glad I had him preform modifications to the stock hand-mic that originally came with this set :)

Got the rig when it first came into production.

Now, my voice is excellent in quality.

TF3JB Rating: 5/5 Jun 17, 2013 08:24 Send this review to a friend
Excellent upgrade of the Icom HM-36 by AB5N.  Time owned: more than 12 months
Approx. 2 years ago (2011) Bob, AB5N, modified my Icom HM-36 hand microphone (Chinese manufacture) for my then new IC-7600 transceiver and the audio was noticeably improved.

Although I had (and still have) the Heil PR-40 microphone for base station use along with the W2IHY 8 Band Audio Equalizer and Noise Gate and the EQplus Adjustable Compressor, I wanted the hand microphone to be workable.

The reason I discuss this now, is that the other day I purchased a new IC-7410 transceiver (for the summer residence and for backup). And what do you know, it comes with the same Chinese made hand mic as the 7600, i.e. the HM-36! I plugged the modified mic from AB5N into the 7410 and the result is a much improved audio over the 7410 stock mic. Consequently, it seems that Icom has yet to upgrade the Chinese version of the HM-36, but I am told that earlier Japanese versions of the mic work well.

My thanks to Bob, AB5N, for an excellent job!

K5EBQ Rating: 5/5 Jan 24, 2013 21:25 Send this review to a friend
Bob has done it twice!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have used Bob's services to modify two HM-151 Microphones for my IC-7000's. The quality of the work has been documented on here several times, and I agree with all the positives. The radio sounds better after the mods.

I have been very impressed with the level of communications and how fast the work is done. After all, a guy can't be without his microphone very long, and Bob clearly understands that. It only took him one day to do the mod and I had my HM-151 back two days later.

Good job! Thanks for the great work and great service.

N4QQZ Rating: 5/5 Mar 2, 2012 16:56 Send this review to a friend
5/5  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Fantastic.... received it back in a week, I no longer need compression on my new IC-7200. Get this mod! Great job Bob!

N2HUC Rating: 5/5 Feb 17, 2012 17:43 Send this review to a friend
Top Notch Audio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Bob has done it again!

My new Icom IC-9100 came with the stock HM-36 microphone. This is a simple mic with basic functionality. I don’t need anything big and fancy, so getting this to sound “a little better” would be desirable. I did some audio checks with those who know good audio, adjusted the radio’s internal EQ some, and all reports coming back were basically “you sound fine with that stock mic”, and “it sounds clear”. No complaints at all, but no real compliments either. After all the unsolicited “great” audio reports I received with my IC-7000/HM-151 combo equipped with the AB5N mic mod, I decided to try his HM-36 mod on my 9100 to see if I could get the same type of reports. The price couldn’t be beat, and the mod took about a half-hour to do. Afterwards, the audio level came up significantly. I had to lower the mic gain immediately from about 80% to, at most, 40%. With some help dialing it all in, now I get those unsolicited “nearly the best audio I have heard” reports with this 9100 radio/modded MH-36 mic combo. There is something about Bob’s mic elements that come very close to matching those piles of expertly tuned, broadcast processed, studio miced mondo stations out there that spend thousands of dollars to get that type of audio quality. It has those guys mystified how this cheap mod can come so close to that sound. Really, it is just audio spectrum and not hard to balance if you know what you are doing (good ears help). But this is not just a ragchew mic. It also cuts through the DX just fine with the bottom end rolled off a bit. Just like my 7000, people think I’m running more than 100 watts when I’m not. These elements drive the full bandwidth of the TX without distorting. You get every last watt the radio has to offer and no “midrange scooped” holes in the sound. Simple!

After listening to my signal being recorded and sent back to me in a WAV file, I was able to hear what radio EQ adjustments and COMP adjustments were needed to balance the audio out bottom to top end. This is a slightly different animal than the 7000 mod. First, FM and DV levels are louder and have more midrange than SSB. The circuits for each mode sound different. It was hard to find one level setting that worked for both. The only way to do it was to use a little compression on SSB. This ended up having a positive effect by adding punch and ambiance. The mic mod produced a somewhat bass heavy sound, but the internal EQ can fix that and ad the crisp high end that cuts through without sounding harsh. These are the settings that everyone likes the best:

MIC GAIN 33% (ROUGHLY 10:00 TO 10:30)

SSB SETTINGS:
COMP LEVEL 4
TX BASS -2
TX TREB +4
TBW WIDE 100 – 2900 (rag chew)
TBW MED 200 – 2900 (dx)
TBW NAR 200 – 2800 (slightly softer)

FM SETTINGS:
NO COMP (even if it shows on, it isn’t on in FM mode)
TX BASS +2
TX TREB +1

DV SETTINGS:
NO COMP (even if it shows on, it isn’t on in DV mode)
TX BASS +2
TX TREB +1

NOTE: Talk across the mic (not directly into it) and hold it about 6 inches or more away from your mouth for clean full crisp strapping audio. ALC should not ever exceed the limit scale. If it does a little, back off even more. Use the same distance for FM and D-STAR (DV).

Now prepare for some good audio reports!

My thanks to Bob Nagy for supplying an inexpensive solution that really makes these ICOM radios sound great. He could put many others out of business. The best part is you really don’t have to mess with tons of hit or miss combos. Just get it done and rock and roll.

Phil

WB3FXW Rating: 5/5 Jan 15, 2012 04:33 Send this review to a friend
EXCELLENT!!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I sent an HM-36 mic to Bob for modification. The mic was returned and is getting great audio reports on the air. I discovered that I had another HM-36 mic with the same problems ... that mic is winging its way to Bob for modification. Bob is great to deal with and does excellent work. He is very highly recommended.

Buzz, WB3FXW

KK7XE Rating: 5/5 Dec 12, 2011 05:05 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Service  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
On the 1st of Dec. I received my new IC-7200 and new the mic would need help. Had a desk mic I used till I sent the HM-36 to Bob. I forgot to take off the mic cord, but Bob was very kind about my neglect. I like using the hand mic due to limited space and upon the return of the mic which was very quick, have had nothing but positive comments on my audio. He was very quick to answer emails and appreciate his good vision to do what would be a task I could not see well enough to do correct. Thanks again Bob. God Bless.