Reviews Categories | Keys & Paddles | NT9K Pro-Pump SKCC Club Key Help

Reviews Summary for NT9K Pro-Pump SKCC Club Key
NT9K Pro-Pump SKCC Club Key Reviews: 11 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $TBD
Description: The first key was designed by Bill Crosier, NT9K and branded for the Straight Key Century Club. Following this introductory run for the SKCC, planning is to begin production on various other styles and designs.

This key will be called the NT9K Pro-Pump - SKCC Club Key 2010 Version. It will weigh in at about 4 pounds. The weight comes from all the half inch thick brass parts and the half inch thick powder coated steel base. The key base measures 8 7/8th by 2 1/2 inches.

The key makes use of ball bearings for a fast and smooth action. Balance and physics of the lever's mass, insures precision feel and tactile response as the large 1/4 inch contacts come to close with just the right amount of flex and bounce. Careful attention to the materials the contact strips are made from, gives this key a professional action and may allow you to send for longer periods of time with less fatigue.
More info: http://www.skccgroup.com/nt9k/keyconcepts/keys.html

You can write your own review of the NT9K Pro-Pump SKCC Club Key.

AA2SM Rating: 5/5 Mar 15, 2013 04:05 Send this review to a friend
One flaw I fixed+  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Well I purchased this big beautiful straight key on e-bay. Could not wait to get started with it. So I hooked the key up and I couldn't get a clean sound as I sent. It would give a raspy sound as if it were not making a connections. Upon looking at the key further, I discovered someone had placed the upper contact upside down. When I looked at the contact itself it had a pit because it was being used to adjust the spacing of the key. so what I did was clean the contact and used silver solder to fill the gap which was made. I filed it level and placed the contact back the way it should be. With the adjustments holding now, the key sounds and performs great. I collect many keys and by far this is the best straight key I have

K4PP Rating: 5/5 Feb 27, 2011 05:56 Send this review to a friend
I like it!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have had this key for about 6 months now and very much enjoy using it. I like the fact that it's a large heavy key, not to mention it looks and feels great. It can be adjusted very precisely and the knob is perfect for working with the wrist elevated or not. The only thing I did to mine was to quiet it down a little by adding a piece of plastic between the contact spacing set screw and the contact spring steel lever. I just trimmed the bottom off a Uniball pen and added it between.

K4PP

N6GND Rating: 5/5 Feb 3, 2011 12:21 Send this review to a friend
The best possible feel.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is a beautifully-made key with an excellent feel because of the long, massive lever, the precision pivot bearings, and the mounting of the contacts on a strip of spring steel at the distal (from the knob) end of the lever.

It's easily- and finely-adjustable for contact spacing and spring tension. On mine, I found that I could not dial in sufficient spring tension. I disassembled the key partly so that I could remove and shorten slightly (by perhaps 3/32 in.) the tension adjustment screw which was bottoming out in the tension adjustment knob. That fix worked very well.

The best feel of any straight key I've ever used and it's a fine piece of craftsmanship. It's also heavy enough that it's never going to move around on your desk.

K0FTC Rating: 5/5 Dec 21, 2010 05:19 Send this review to a friend
Great service as well  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I was having some difficulty with my SKCC Pump key and contacted the company. They worked with me and when I could not resolve the problem, they asked me to send it to them. The key was returned and is functioning great. They replaced the contacts, tested continuity, and polished it to a mirror finish. Throughout, Randy, KB4QQJ, was friendly,a gentleman, professional, and extremely patient. I thoroughly enjoy this key, and would like to share that these folks stand behind their product and will provide outstanding service as needed.

N0JL Rating: 5/5 Dec 4, 2010 08:23 Send this review to a friend
Bestest Ever!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I visited Bill, NT9K, in February 2010 to meet him... and visit his keys. He had five straight keys in a row and all active. Bill asked me to try them all and rate them in order. When I finished, he had this big grin. I had agreed with him right down the line! He told me I was going to like the Pro-Pump. He is right! It is the smoothest key I have ever used, including Bill's Amplidan! The other straight keys are on the shelf. Nuf' said.

WA2WMR Rating: 5/5 Jul 28, 2010 09:34 Send this review to a friend
Schweet!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is a beautiful key in both form and function. The only thing I don't like is having my wrist bent so far back, but that's just a case of having used a navy flameproof or vibroblex keyer/bug all these years. Nothing that can't be fixed with a volume or two of an encyclopedia.

KC0RSX Rating: 5/5 Jun 14, 2010 13:23 Send this review to a friend
Great straight key. Smooth, crisp and solid  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have been "house-sitting" the Pro Pump key owned by Tom KC9ECI (SKCC #1) for a couple of weeks. VERY nice straight key.

Heavy, very adjustable and holds adjustments very well, nice feel to the contact closure, good lever length, smooth pivot, quiet operation.

VERY HIGH QUALITY.

WB2LQF Rating: 5/5 Apr 7, 2010 20:42 Send this review to a friend
A fabulous long-lever!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
My NT9K "Pro Pump" arrived today. What a fabulous key! First of all the weight - it's really heavy and there is absolutely not even the remotest chance I'll ever need to fasten it down. Next, the finish - it's near mirror, perhaps not "perfect" but darn close. I bought this key to use, not to simply possess! I especially like the crackle-like finish on the base and the contrast among the brass,the crackle base, and the black lower plate. The fingerpiece - similar to my Navy CTE 26003A "Flameproof" but flat on top instead of domed. This little difference is a big one for me because there is no sharp ridge like the Flameproof has to cut into my fingers during a longer session. I really like this level of comfort. The long lever - here's where the action is; the keys to the kingdom! This differentiates the NT9K from all the other straight keys I've used. I never before owned or even operated a 'long lever' key. The action is so smooth, almost like comparing a car with power steering to one without it. Once I had the Pro Pump properly adjusted (the instructions worked OK for me - they're simple enough to follow)I was sending effortlessly and accurately and having one swell time for myself! I usually operate with my entire arm off the desk and this seems to be just what the 'long lever' wants. I briefly tried putting my elbow down and I went QLF pretty quickly. But that's most likely just me and 50 years of habit. Overall, I am 100% completely happy with the NT9K Pro Pump. It's a quality instrument all the way. I wish the guys at Key Concepts the very best in their new business venture and will be looking forward to their promise of a sideswiper. The cost of this key is is admittedly a lot more than one would pay for an old J-38 at a local hamfest and yes, they do the same thing. But a Yugo and a BMW are both automobiles too. You get what you pay for and I am happy to report that I indeed got my money's worth on this investment.

W5PEH Rating: 5/5 Mar 28, 2010 20:35 Send this review to a friend
Professional Pump Key  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is the new NT9K Pro Pump SKCC CLUB KEY 2010. It is a beautifully designed and massive straight key weighting in at 4 lbs., 8 7/8" X 2 1/2" . It will be extremley hard to try and match the appearance, feel, and adjustment range of this key. Professional grade all the way. Hats off to Larry, Randy, and Bill at Key Concepts ... and they have more models planned for the future. Congratulations guys !!! 73 Pete
VIDEO: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCgjdIwpFL0

N8XE Rating: 5/5 Mar 18, 2010 18:50 Send this review to a friend
A well made key with a solid, smooth, action  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I walked into the door when I got home from work and I noticed a package sitting there waiting for me. I knew it must be what I have been waiting for: My new SKCC Club Pump Key!!! You would have thought I was 10 years old again on Christmas morning because I quickly opened the box to reveal the treasure inside. After unwrapping the well packed key, the first thing I noticed was that the key was bigger than I originally thought. And heavier! The Ohio Slow Net was about to start so I figured what a great way to try it out. So I brought it down to the shack and hooked it up. After a quick adjustment, I checked into the Ohio Slow Net. My new key was on the air! The net operates at about 13 wpm so this would be a good test to see how it operates when doing some slow code.

While waiting to be called to check out, I started looking at the key some more. The key ships with a piece of rubber to keep it in one place on the operating desk. It does not have any rubber feet on the bottom. The base is finished beautifully! It has a speckled-copper look. The finish appears to be very durable and have a hammered feel to it. The brass is polished well, but it is not a complete mirror like finish. At certain angles, you can see some polishing marks so I would say it has a semi-mirror like, brushed-brass look. The adjustment knobs are large and easy to adjust and smooth to turn. The front knob adjusts the tension of the key while the back knob adjust the gap between the contacts. I like to set mine to a nice, snappy, and quick feel that requires a light touch (more on that later). Wait a second, they are dismissing me from the net. I will be right back.

After a quick QNX from the net, I changed frequency to the Buckeye Net that starts in 30 minutes. The Buckeye net runs at about 25wpm. Let's see what this key can do when operating at higher speeds. Now, I am not a speed demon when it comes to straight keys, but I can operate at 25wpm easily on a good key. Ok, the net is firing up. Time to check in.

Ok, they key feels nice at higher speeds. I am pretty lazy when sending on a straight key so I usually rest my wrist on the desk and use my wrist motion to send the code. However, with a pump key, they are designed to have the entire forearm make the movement. When I send this way, I find the key to respond very well at high speeds. When sending with my wrist on the desk, the key does not feel as well. I loosened the tension (using the front knob) and it feels better with my wrist resting on the desk. Using this arrangement, I switched back to using my entire forearm and I found that I had trouble controlling the key. Adding more tension eliminates this problem. The back knob provides a locking nut to lock the contact spacing. The front knob lacks the locking nut. I would think that because the front knob is under tension with the spring, a locking nut is not needed.

I logged into the SKCC page to work some fellow club members. My first contact was Jim, KK7YJ. A couple dits felt like it did not get a good contact. I then worked Art, WB8ENE. Only once did a dit feel like it did not get a solid contact. Next was Willie, N4XE (what a great call!), and the key felt fine. Larry, AE4LD then called and we had a great contact. Imagine, working the CEO of the company that makes the new key! He let me know if I had any questions to call him. He also warned me about dropping it on my foot. HI!

In my excitement to use the key, I neglected to get the instruction manual out. I should have done this first because it gave some instructions on how to adjust the key properly. Once I did the adjustments, the key felt better than before and felt fine both with my wrist resting on the desk or by using my entire forearm.

In conclusion, I really like this key! It is well made, very solid, looks wonderful, and has a very smooth action when adjusted correctly. Don't do what I did and neglect to read the instructions. My new SKCC key is a wonderful addition to my key collection. Thanks Key Concepts!