Reviews Categories | Filters, RF: bandpass, duplexer, lowpass, highpass, RFI/EMI, e | I.C.E. AM Broadcast Band Interference Help

Reviews Summary for I.C.E. AM Broadcast Band Interference
I.C.E. AM Broadcast Band Interference Reviews: 1 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $28.00
Description: Broadcast Reject Filters that reduce AM band signals to levels where local Stations can still be received in most cases, but are no longer threatening to other desired services. A must for serious low frequency DXers or Amateur 160 Meter enthusiasts. Five models are available for both receive-only applications or for use with transceivers (allows transmission of up to 300 watts through the filter above the rated cutoff frequency). Receive only filters are fitted with RCA pin connectors (or SO-239 connectors on request), while transceiver models are all SO-239s.
More info: http://www.iceradioproducts.com/filtersrf.html#bcb

You can write your own review of the I.C.E. AM Broadcast Band Interference.

K6SX Rating: 5/5 Mar 23, 2010 12:37 Send this review to a friend
An outstanding product!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The Model 400 Broadcast Band Filter from I.C.E. is an outstanding product that does exactly what it is designed to do and at a very reasonable ($28.00) price. The product comes with good documentation and is a very well constructed piece of hardware.

PROBLEM MEETS SOLUTION:
I recently purchased an old Knight-Kit R-55A shortwave receiver that had been nicely restored and was in pristine condition. I unfortunately soon discovered I had a local AM broadcast station (KDIA) running 10,000 watts on a frequency of 1640kc which was just 10kc below the 1650kc IF of this radio.

Upon first connecting the R-55A receiver to a Cushcraft R7000 vertical, every single band, on the radio was completely swamped by this local 1640kc broadcast station rendering the receiver useless for all practical purposes. This offending 10,000 watt station is at least 30 miles away. Yet within 10 miles of me is a 50,000 watt clear channel station (KGO) located at 810kc that was itself overwhelmed by the interfering (KDIA) signal at 1640kc. A vertical antenna certainly aggravated the situation but the real problem was receiver design issues centering around it's 1650kc IF.

After researching various AM broadcast band filters in hopes of finding a solution to this vexing problem, I emailed I.C.E. for advise. Their response was fast, friendly and on the mark. They recommended their Model 400 Broadcast Band Filter which I ordered with optional SO-239 connectors at no additional charge. Once ordered the filter was soon delivered to my door.

With the filter installed, this problem disappeared as if by magic! Which it all is of course. Highly recommended!