Reviews Categories | Antennas: VHF/UHF+ Directional (Yagi, quad, etc.) | M2 2M7 Help

Reviews Summary for M2 2M7
M2 2M7 Reviews: 6 Average rating: 4.3/5 MSRP: $$156.99
Description: The 2M7 is a computer optimized yagi that will outperform longer old design antennas. The 2M7 covers the whole band with only slight performance degradation at the band edges. Side lobes are very low and it is perfect for stacking 2 or more. Its light weight and durability make it great for portable hill topping.
The 2M7 is built for long term electrical and mechanical integrity. The CNC machined "T" Match Block features O-ring sealed connectors and is internally sealed with a space-age silicone gel with nearly 4 times the dielectric strength of air. Elements are 6061-T6 3/16" aluminum rod, mounted through the boom on UV stabilized button insulators. All hardware is stainless steel except U-bolts. Other key electrical and mechanical parts are CNC machined for accuracy and durability.
More info: http://www.m2inc.com/

You can write your own review of the M2 2M7.

K4MSG Rating: 5/5 Aug 5, 2017 12:06 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding antenna!!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Five years ago I purchased a pair of M2 2M9SSB Yagis and installed them for EME, and they served me faithfully & flawlessly until I gave up "moon-bouncing" and sold them to another ham just starting out. *BUT* I still needed a Yagi for casual terrestrial & meteor scatter use, so I bought a 2M7.

This is a GREAT antenna! Typical M2 high-quality throughout, easy to assemble (I dawdled and still finished in a couple of hours), and the VSWR is <1.2 across the entire band! Needless to say, my Kenwood TS-2000X (which will start "folding back" the power at VSWR = 1.6) just *LOVES* it. Full power out and I can't even read the reflected power on the Bird 43 unless I put in a really low-power element.

As regards the use of F connectors for the balun: Consideration of the limitations of all components was part of M2's design process (I am a retired RF design engineer) and in this application the F connector will easily handle what the specification demands (and these are high-quality F connectors, not the "cheapies" you used to find in the local store for TV use). Any corrosion that occurs will probably be due to incorrect balun installation, most likely either over-tightening or insufficiently tightening the connectors during installation. I have used several M2 antennas (including a couple of 70cm Yagis) and have never encountered a problem - and neither have thousands of other users.

And a special thanks to DX Engineering for prompt shipping! I ordered the antenna on a Wednesday evening and it arrived by early afternoon on Friday. Amazing!

W1XYZ Rating: 1/5 Feb 20, 2017 07:43 Send this review to a friend
Not recommended  Time owned: more than 12 months
This antenna has a design flaw that makes me wish I had not purchased it. M2 uses F connectors to make the balun. The F connector was not designed to handle power and has a very small contact area. The result is rectification and hash when excited by other nearby antennas. I will be going back to the junior boomer it replaced when I do my next tower overhaul.

WB2RXF Rating: 5/5 Jan 25, 2015 09:57 Send this review to a friend
I've had a couple yagis  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
by different manufactures, I have to say this is antenna has far exceeded my expectations, Now I see why M2inc antennas are so highly regarded. The 2m7 has been quite the "GEM", working stations on ssb from Maine to North Carolina under flat conditions, with just 50Watts, mind you its 115FT above street level on a 6 story building, but still, for its small foot print, it works shockingly well. I'm look forward to see the performance, when I get my amp / preamp working again.

W5PFG Rating: 5/5 Mar 5, 2014 17:15 Send this review to a friend
WOW  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have owned several yagis over the years for 2m but I am most impressed with this one. I assembled it and had SWR near perfect in about an hour. I am using it to make satellite contacts at the horizon on the 1970's vintage AO-7 satellite. It can HEAR!

It also works very well for terrestrial packet use. I was amazed how it is able to outperform my vertically polarized beam on packet. I'm a believer now!!!

WA6EJO Rating: 5/5 May 19, 2012 17:48 Send this review to a friend
Very High Quality!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Arrived packed very well. T-Match block is a thing of beauty. High quality N-connector. Strange to see F-connectors for the coax balun, but it makes sense when one sees that the transmission line used is 75 ohm. Nice to see itís made of quality Belden 3 GHz rated RG6-type with Belden brand connectors. Even the nylon cable ties supplied are Panduit brand. This antenna reeks of quality! 1Ē dia boom comes in two pieces (8í 10Ē final length) that are connected using stainless hardware including nylon insert locknuts - nice touch! I found the shaft nuts difficult to push on the elements even with using the included tool. If you have weak hands you may need some help. Thereís no question that the elements arenít going anywhere once those shaft nuts are installed. All hardware (screws & nuts) and all dimensions in the instructions are inch. SWR as measured with a Diamond SX-1100 through about 30-feet of Buryflex was under 1.1:1 from 144 MHz through 144.5 MHz and just reaching 1.3:1 at 148 MHz. No adjustments of the T-match were necessary.

Pros:
* Manual is online so you can see what youíre getting into before the purchase.
* High quality materials throughout.
* Super broad-band.
* N-connector. Some might not like that but as I learned recently building new cables for the shack they really do have lower loss and the 2-piece style is as easy to install as any connector. Iíve even changed to Nís for HF Iím so sold on them.

Cons:
* Fewer choices as Innovantenna has for yagi lengths. I wanted something 6í or 7í long, the 8í 10Ē 2M7 was the closest. (Come now, it would be sacrilegious to take a hacksaw to it!)

K7ULS Rating: 5/5 Mar 26, 2010 06:59 Send this review to a friend
Great Antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
Just made 6 new initials on EME with this little jewel. I used only one yagi at moonrise with 350 watts from a TE 1452GS.