Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur HF+6M+VHF+UHF models - not QRP <5W | Alinco DX-SR8 Help

Reviews Summary for Alinco DX-SR8
Alinco DX-SR8 Reviews: 88 Average rating: 4.3/5 MSRP: $£499 UK & $560 US at r
Description: Budget HF Transceiver with 10w 'QRP' mode (?)
More info: http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/hamhf/5008.html

You can write your own review of the Alinco DX-SR8.

AF5CC Rating: 4/5 Jun 19, 2017 10:32 Send this review to a friend
A good radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
First off, THE QST REVIEW IS WRONG! They mention that there is no A=B function to put both VFOs on the same frequency. That is wrong, there is. You push the function key and I believe the 1 key on the keypad. It is covered in the manual, I don't know how the reviewer missed that one.

Also, the transmit audio with the stock hand mic did not have any problems with the DX-SR8 I had. I received very good audio reports with it. One of my first QSOs was with Israel on 20 meter SSB and he was just above the noise level but heard me fine so I am guessing that the SSB audio has some punch to it.

This is an entry level radio, on par with the Yaesu FT840, Kenwood TS140, Icom 725. Those sell for too much on the used market. You can find a used DX-SR8T for less than what these others go for used. I found mine on ebay for less than $290 shipped. It is a very good rig for that price. It also gives you many features that those other entry level radios of yesteryear don't, like a built in keyer, speech processor, XIT to go along with RIT (but limited to 1khz), direct frequency entry, and quite a few other features.

The receiver on this radio is actually pretty decent. Fairly quiet and the noise blacker works pretty good on it. There is one "issue" and the manual talks about this-it is using audio filters for CW and SSB narrow. On CW this allows you to hear the other side of the zero beat-the image of the CW signal. The manual does tell you how to tune to make sure you are listening to the correct signal. I am sure this would cause a lot of QRM in a contest situation. My 2nd QSO with the Alinco was Ireland on 30 meters for a new band country, so it does do ok on CW in many instances.

It would be nice if it had a built in SWR meter. Alinco never seems to put those on their rigs. The keyer paddle wiring is opposite of other brands, but you can go into the menu and change the setting to reverse and you are now ok. The Alinco DX77 had the same issue but there was no reverse in the menu. You had to rewire the paddles. Not sure why Alinco can't wire their paddles like everyone else does.

Like other Alincos, power output isn't continuous, but instead uses a H/L/EL setting. The display is large on this radio, and easy to see, and the front firing speaker sounds good also.

For the price these go for new, there are better used radios out there, but if you want a brand new radio, this will get you on the air for a decent price. They are a good buy on the used market if priced correctly. I did enjoy using this while I had it.

KG5QHX Rating: 5/5 Apr 12, 2017 18:25 Send this review to a friend
It is a great low cost radio that works  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I really like this transceiver. I bought the DX-SR8T a couple of weeks ago and tested it out at home and it worked fine. So when we had the "Texas Radio in the Park" event, I took it out to use at the local park. Our club had met at one of the local nearby parks for the event. I set up the radio, etc and then proceeded to make some contacts. Anyway I was quite impressed with how well the radio worked. I can't find any faults with it at this time. it works and isn't difficult to operate which is one reason I like it.

KB3ZVH Rating: 5/5 Oct 4, 2016 17:04 Send this review to a friend
Great Radio for Hams on a budget!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have owned my Alinco DX-SR8 since March 2016. Bought it for my birthday. I am on medical disability and on a fixed income. great radio for the price. Love how in links to my computer and Ham Radio Deluxe. I use an MFJ-297 Desktop microphone and get great signal reports. Also love the AL-100 autotuner. Just purchased a Signalink usb for the digital modes. Much better than my old rig and Icom 745. Would recommend this rig to any ham on a budget. Great rig for the price!

AF2DX Rating: 5/5 Oct 3, 2016 23:23 Send this review to a friend
Great Rig for $435.00  Time owned: more than 12 months
I knew nothing about the rig but I called the dealer and he said it ust came out and I can have it for the price shown.
I had just sold my other rigs that cost over $1,000.00 and felt lost without them.
I got hit with blood clots then COPD that landed me in the hospital 19 times in 14 months.
My SR8 rig sat in the box for almost 2 years.
A few nights ago I put it on my desk,hooked up a mag loop and just listened.
I tried selling this rig for $300.00 and no takers and today I am so happy.
I never really made any good contacts on it so I called a ham about 20 miles from me.
I heard my voice over the phone in was very impressed.
Now my desk is all cleaned off and my key got a good cleaning and I work 40 Meters early in the morning and get nothing but good reports with my so called cheap rig and home brew indoor mag loop.
No mods to lower the power down to 30 watts.
ust a mod to let you operate 2 watts QRP.
Still a dandy rig
BOB AF2DX

KB8BLZ Rating: 5/5 Mar 18, 2016 23:54 Send this review to a friend
Worth Every Penny  Time owned: more than 12 months
I consider this radio to be one of the best budget radios around. It may not have all the bells and whistles but it does a fine job. When I was a new ham my first radio was a Drake TR-4C and to me it was a magic radio. I have a feeling new hams out there will feel the same about the alinco and maybe more so because of the ease of use and the great performance this budget radio provides. Well worth every penny.

W5GNB Rating: 4/5 Mar 1, 2016 20:43 Send this review to a friend
Works for ME !!!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I wanted a Good, CHEAP, rig with none of that stupid Computer Garbage....and THIS one fits the bill....
Decent construction with some places with "Hot Glue" within but actually, the rig works GREAT, especially on CW.
If you want better SSB performance, Trash the stock mike and upgrade to something better. Otherwise, NO COMPLAINTS !!!!

WA8MEA Rating: 5/5 Jan 8, 2016 10:28 Send this review to a friend
Difficult choice  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have both the Icom IC-718 and the Alinco DX-SR8. It would be a very difficult choice if I were to put one of them up for sale. I have NEVER been told I have poor audio from the Alinco and always ask when I am in QSO. I like the Alinco's 60 meter band capabilities, which the Icom 718 does not have when purchased unmodified. The Alinco's receiver rivals the 718; if not a tad better.

KA2SEY Rating: 5/5 Jun 18, 2015 06:33 Send this review to a friend
Great Rig for the price  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Out of the box the Alinco DX-SR8T is a nice looking rig. So as a contrast I will use the Icom 71. Owned 3 of them through the years and frankly the ICOM has many short coming in comparison to this rig. First is the FM capabilities - Icom 718 does not have any FM capabilities. Whereas, the DX-SR8T does along with tone and offset - built into the menu. Which many Hams have made complaints about the menu - explaining that it is difficult. Yet that this not the case at all, simply hold the 'Func' key and it opens right up.
Another big feature is ICOM has now incorporated the DSP unit into the sale of their rigs. In the past they didn't - so many had to purchase this for additional fee. The DX-SR8T does not have DSP, but I haven't had any issue filter through a 'pile up' and on CW it was easy to pick out a caller.
One interesting thing is that Alinco seemed to create this rig for mobile application. However there are some short comings with this option. Although the rig can be separated and you can attach the face separated from the rig itself. Alinco suggest placing the balance of the rig either under the seat or in the trunk. However there doesn't seem to be a mounting bracket for the rig once you have mounted the face.
I see this as a problem, because your rig is now either bouncing around under the seat or inside the trunk.
Alinco you dropped the ball on this one. Then again maybe I missed something here - but for the life of me ... I have search the web looking for an application to mount the remainder of the rig, and haven't found a way to do so without fabricating my own.
The display on both rigs is large enough that even these old weary eyes has not difficulty seeing everything on either radio.
The selectable power setting I guess is a plus - but most hams basically like to just broadcast - but if you like QRP. The Alinco offers that option - which the ICOM 718 does not.
Both have front speakers and the Alinco does hold its own - has a great sound and pleasant tone to it.
So for a bare-bone rig at a modest price. I think the DX-SR8T wins over the ICOM 718. One last thing ... I think Alinco should have considered putting and SWR meter into this rig.
For what its worth - using it as a base and putting and tuner, SWR meter in-line. I would spend the extra bucks to get a rig that does.
I guess you can't have it both ways - mobile or base rig? The jury still out ...

KD8LXL Rating: 5/5 May 11, 2015 22:39 Send this review to a friend
great value  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
For what I paid for this rig, not disappointed at all. I did not expect it to be a contest rig, just a basic 100 watt HF radio and that's what this is. Receive is very good, I do not use the standard EMS-64 microphone that comes standard, I use the Alinco EMS-14 desk microphone. I get far better audio reports when using the desk microphone

AD0OO Rating: 5/5 May 6, 2015 15:02 Send this review to a friend
Very good first or back up radio!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased this radio as a first radio to get me started and have been very happy with it! I have been a bit "antenna challenged" and just really got to start playing with it recently. The build quality is good, the solder joints are clean, and the radio works well.
I added a powered speaker w/sub to it and the incoming audio is now very acceptable. My friend and I did an experiment at his shack with his iCom 718 and my Alinco and he was very surprised with this radio! The receive and transmit were as good as his was but he had an edge in the filtering department.
All in all, a nice radio that will serve me well....for now...;)