Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF models) | Alinco DX-SR8 Help

Reviews Summary for Alinco DX-SR8
Alinco DX-SR8 Reviews: 76 Average rating: 4.3/5 MSRP: $£499 UK & $560 US at r
Description: Budget HF Transceiver with 10w 'QRP' mode (?)
More info: http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/hamhf/5008.html

You can write your own review of the Alinco DX-SR8.

N7KOB Rating: 5/5 Aug 4, 2014 11:12 Send this review to a friend
Great radio for the price  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is a great radio for the price. I was skeptical based on some reviews I read, which delayed my purchase of this radio for over a year, my loss, since I use it every day practically since I got it two months ago.

I work qrp digital modes, and soon to add CW to that mix. My dx-sr8 runs in the low power (10W max) setting and the microphone that shipped with it has never been connected. I have had either a rigblaster nomic and a signalink usb connected to the microphone jack since I received the radio.

PSK31 and the JTxx variants work beautifully with this radio.

The only limitation I have seen with this radio is the fact that you can either do voice or data at any given time, since there is no accessory port for data transmission as many other transceivers have, so you'll be swapping the microphone and data connectors from the microphone port on the front.

Ham Radio can be an expensive hobby, this radio definitely fits the bill for an entry level HF radio that is both well built and easy to use.

Would I buy this radio again? YES!!!! For the price, it can't be beat.

AF2Q Rating: 5/5 Jul 6, 2014 14:48 Send this review to a friend
Working CW with the SR8 HF rig  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I had mine for more then two months now.
I was in the FD contest and the built in CW filter worked great.
I did some test wit the Idiom Press SCAF filter and the New England QRP SCAF filter
I then tried the old vintage MFJ CWF-1 audio filter and that also worked very fine.
The SR8 HF rig is also xcellent also for working outdoors and I use a good set of head phones and listen for weak QRP.
I find the RX to have much less noise floor QRM and I guess it's because the rig is not loaded with so many noise generating SMD parts.
I only needed the manual to set the AGC and I do use the tiny Pico external keyer because the speed control knob is right on top of the small plastic box.
Best bang for your dollar.
BOB AF2Q

KG5BKY Rating: 5/5 Jun 21, 2014 08:16 Send this review to a friend
An Honest Review  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
While I am a relatively new Ham Radio operator, just received my license, I am not new to radio at all. I have been involved in radio since I was 9 years old but now a good age of 58, I have heard all types of radios. I purchased the Alinco DX-SR8T as I wanted simplicity when I entered the radio hobby. Knowing that the antenna is really the key behind a transmitter I designed a horizontal Delta Loop for this radio. Dipoles have too much noise but the Delta loop provides less noise level. I can honestly say that the ears on this radio with the Delta loop, superb. Altec Lansing speakers are being used for better quieting and filtering. The SWR's are low on the antenna I built from scratch and a lot of other Hams I have had QSO's with have given me excellent reports so far. Full resonance to the antenna is being provided. There is no linear amplifier on the radio and even though band conditions are not the greatest right now I can't wait from them to improve. The power out is 100 watts but I only have it set right now to peak at 75 to 80 watts. I am not a CW operator yet but looking to work on that really soon. As a new operator I did not want to overload myself with features I will probably not use right now. And I have not even started programming the unit yet.
For a seasoned Ham that are used to all the additional features on higher end dollar radio's this would be a great stand by or portable choice radio for you. For those operators looking to get in a minimal cost this is a good choice. The 1 watt, 10 watt, and 100 watt selections make it nice if you wanted to add on a linear. Perhaps I will in the future but for now I am perfectly happy with this choice of radio and would buy another one.

AF2Q Rating: 5/5 May 16, 2014 22:03 Send this review to a friend
UPDATE ON THE DX-SR8  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I been on and off of the borrowed rig all day and the CW filtering is so so but I just happened to be able to pick out the tone I want to copy.
Just for kicks,I used the NE-QRP SCAF filter.
I turned it down so narrrow I lost the station and I then flipped the switch on the filter and the ham from France was banging on my door.
Another thing I saw was that early this morning HRO dropped the price down to $499.99.
One advantage in using the built in CW filter is that if you can only copy the tone of the station you are working,and some other rare DX happens to start calling CQ you'll hear him.
Many WW2 radio OP's today still copy CW with vintage Military receivers and no filtering.They trained their selves to copy the tone they want to work.
BTW,Audio kicks BUTT and so much better then my sold off FT 857-D rigs
73 es GL DXing
BOB AF2Q

W6TZI Rating: 2/5 May 12, 2014 13:25 Send this review to a friend
RX ok, TX is terrible  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I wanted an honest no frills HF tranceiver for digital modes so I bought this Alinco dx-sr8t. The receive of this radio is as good as my Kenwood TS-940, however the transmit is dismal as the SSB modulator rolls off rapidly below 1.5 kHz ! The majority of this radio's transmit frequency response is between 1.5 kHz to 3 kHz, which is perfect if you have a cartoon voice, but terrible for the normal human voice and EVEN WORSE for some digital modes. Alinco customer support says if I want a quality radio then I should spend more money! I thought I WAS buying a quality radio...
Because Alinco has poor customer support and low engineering standards I will NEVER buy another Alinco product and your money would be better spent buying ANYTHING other than Alinco junk too.

W6TZI

KA8YRV Rating: 5/5 May 11, 2014 20:50 Send this review to a friend
Fine Transceiver  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
AS a 30 yr ham (mostly CW), I find the Alinco DXSR8T to be a fine radio. Sensitive receiver, good CW filter,easy to operate and finally a fair price. I've had many rigs over the years and this one is as much fun as any.The 3 power levels are fine with me and the keyer,filter,IF shift,RIT,pre-amp and attenuaters make operating this rig a joy. In short, I like the rig a lot. 73...KA8YRV

N3WRH Rating: 5/5 Apr 23, 2014 09:04 Send this review to a friend
great  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Great radio for the price can't believe it.

KK4WEY Rating: 5/5 Apr 22, 2014 07:23 Send this review to a friend
GREAT VALUE  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
As a new Ham, I needed a simple and affordable radio to operate. My Alinco DX-SR8 has been alot of fun to use, and the learning curve has been short. I'm sure a few years down the line as my experience increases, I might need or want more options, but I like taking baby steps with my hobbies. I would absolutely recommend this radio to anyone.

GM0FFB Rating: 5/5 Feb 27, 2014 03:36 Send this review to a friend
Brilliant under rated radio  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Having owned the older ALINCO DX70TH radio for 12years+ and having abused it with high speed morse, full key down SSTV and Digi modes whilst out mobile and in the shack I knew that when we decided to sail off into the sunset on our boat only one radio was up to the task of providing me with my hobby and also running our daily connections to the internet email servers via Shortwave - it was the new Alinco DX-SR8. I purchased one connected it up to an EDXII auto tuner, mounted a marine vertical on the deck and became QRV.
I usually work 10-15 High speed CW stations (mostly ragchew) everytime I go on air so I feel that I am best placed to comment based on the operation of this fine radio rather than the numbers on the tech spec. I work DX pileups with ease find my way around the radio without looking at the manual and generally enjoy listening to the bands through the forward facing speaker. This radio doesn't have all the fancy SWR meter functionality or tight filtering of its more expensive counterparts but what it does have is good old fashioned 100w o/p and better than average RX. Today's high price tag radios have hundreds of functions that most of us will never use although we have paid for them in the purchase price. The DX-SR8 is a very good robust radio that gets the job done. A few years ago the specification of todays SR8 would have been the specification of the rolls royce radios of the day.. Lets all get a grip and stop giving this radio a hard time. It is value for money and does what it says on the box.
My only criticism is that the power levels are selected via pushes of a button rather than being on a rotary knob 0 - 100w. Over the years I have owned lots of radios and some costing much more than the price of a DX-SR8 today.

KD2ALW Rating: 5/5 Feb 13, 2014 18:39 Send this review to a friend
Good rig for those on a budget!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Good rig for those on a budget! Sure it might not have all the bells and whistles of the top dogs on the market but it also cost about half of any major manufactures “flag ship radio.”

A good rig to compare the DX-SR8T to would be an Icom IC-718. If the prices were equal I would probably suggest the 718. But if the difference is $75~$100 my vote goes for the Alinco every time. That $100 can get you a good manual tuner and you’re that much closer to operation. If money is no object then you probably won’t be looking at getting an Alinco DX-SR8T any ways!

I have owned this HF rig for well over a year now and operated it both SSB voice and SSB digital through a Donner digital interface (can be had new for $40+shipping.) I have had good reports all the way around. I would say it works as well as any basic 100W HF rig, nothing super special but nothing to balk at ether. In my opinion it is just a simple easy to operate all mode HF only transceiver. For someone planning on spending several hours a day in front of your rig, I suggest you move on and invest in something with more features. If your like me a 29 year old guy, married, paying a mortgage and working 40+ hours a week, doesn’t have a whole lot of disposable income but wants to play on HF when he gets a chance then this rig is for you.

I originally started out with a Kenwood TS-440SAT but that rig had some drift between the RX and TX, so it made working digital modes very difficult. I sold that along with a FT-817ND I had thinking QRP would be the way to go however I quickly learned that SSB voice & 5W was not as easy as the pro’s make it out to be! The FT-817ND was also very “menu rich” something I don’t mind, but found through my limited operation I was always in the menu trying to figure things out. At some point I may get another but for now the Alinco is fine. Not wanting to “experiment” with something else used and/or old I settled on a brand new DX-SR8T from HRO and ordered up a Donner digital interface (I had used one with the Kenwood so I knew what I type of interface I was getting.) My DX-SR8T was easy to operate out of the box. A few minutes with the manual and I had a good general understanding of its operation and menu functions.

Fast forward almost two years and I am still using and operating it whenever I get the time to “play.” Again, I would love to dump a couple grand into a new HF rig, auto tuner, and fancy vertical antenna and play away, but I can’t so here I am. As the old saying goes; “run what ya brung” and in my case it’s the Alinco. At this point in my life I have no plans of upgrading; in fact I plan on picking up another Alinco DX-SR8T and setting it up in semi portable fashion for field day and on the go operations that would include vehicular transportation. I would not want to walk far with this rig and a battery in a backpack. I find the 10W to be good for battery operations, and you can always bump up to 100W if you need to.

This rig is fairly rugged in construction, however like most other ham gear, the front panel and controls could easily be damaged if it were to face plant of a desk or while being toted around. One thing to note is that the DX-SR8T does NOT have an integrated SWR meter. Unless you are running an auto tuner I find it hard to tune using the bar graph display SWR type meter any ways so you will need an external meter, or an antenna tuner with one. I run a MFJ-971 “portable antenna tuner.” That tuner allows me to tune dipoles and random wires alike. It has a nice cross needle SWR, Reflected and Forward power meter. It’s the only tuner I have used with my Alinco and I have had very good results using it. Of course I don’t run a dipole cut for each band, intern I like a jack of all trades type of antenna something I can use on the entire HF spread. I am currently using a long/random wire antenna cut to 119ft and have had good luck.

I also enjoy operating this radio with DM780. Leave the power set to 100W and drive the peak power via output volume to about 25W and you will be good to go on your choice of mode.

All and All I can solidly recommend this radio to some one who doesn’t have a tone of extra money to spend. It’s a good solid performer that lives up to its asking price. Mine has been very reliable even spending hours rag chewing on 80m. The menu and display is easy to read use and understand, the radio is easy to operate and most off all it gets you on the HF bands reliably. Sure you can buy a 1970s or 1980s transceiver in the same price range but that is just that, you are getting a 30~40 year old radio and you never know what you’re going to end up with when buying used. For me, I don’t want to have to learn and spend time fixing a radio, when it’s my ONLY HF radio; I just want something to get me on HF when I get the chance. An Alinco DX-SR8T will allow you to make contacts and does so reliably without breaking the bank.