Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur HF+6M+VHF+UHF models - not QRP <5W | Alinco DX-SR8 Help

Reviews Summary for Alinco DX-SR8
Alinco DX-SR8 Reviews: 93 Average rating: 4.4/5 MSRP: $£499 UK & $560 US at r
Description: Budget HF Transceiver with 10w 'QRP' mode (?)

You can write your own review of the Alinco DX-SR8.

NZ8I Rating: 5/5 Dec 13, 2017 05:25 Send this review to a friend
Solid rig at low cost  Time owned: more than 12 months
Look guys; I have had this rig almost 3 years brand new from HRO. There are only two issues that matter. Crapppy Noise Blanker and no DSP.
Hey OM there are two easy mods for both issues.
Duh. Where have u Alinco owners been hiding out that u guys donít know about them yet?
Noise Blanker - change C201 to a 2000nf cap.
Sign up for the Yahoo Alinco Dx-SR8T group please.
DSP- buy the BHI NEDSP-1061KBD and google how to install it. There is a great youtube vid by a ham who shows you how for Alinco rigs.
BHI Ltd is having a winter sale on DSP s or go to DXengineering to buy.
Please quit yer gripping about this rig for problems that have solved by aftermarket mods at least a year ago.
The complainers are just like the 7300 guys who grip about no second receiver when INRAD has a great cheap mod for that rig too.

Merry Christmas
KG4RUL Rating: 5/5 Dec 12, 2017 16:41 Send this review to a friend
Best Bang For Your HF Buck!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have used my DX-SR8 as both a base and a mobile. It is basic and reliable - the Model T of radios!
WV1H Rating: 4/5 Dec 12, 2017 11:17 Send this review to a friend
Not bad for $500  Time owned: more than 12 months
I substituted a better dynamic microphone and transmit audio improved greatly. The stock narrow filters for CW and SSB are ok. I used the rig mobile for a while but the noise blanker was not effective at all. It was easy to remote the control head using a shielded cat 5 cable. Not a bad rig for $500, I just wish it had a working noise blanker. If it did it would still be in my vehicle.
WO8USA Rating: 5/5 Jul 21, 2017 19:13 Send this review to a friend
Nice basic rig, easy to use  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Got this DX-SR8T from R&L Electronics last week for under $500--cannot beat this deal! I am using it for digital modes, its still overkill as basic as it is. Plenty of power, easy ops. As with most rigs, add a desk mic or W2IHY for SSB audio improvements. Only drawback is lack of direct computer control on freq/mode, but works fine with an Signalink The rig is build solid and well cooled. As far as Alinco, I owned and used (still have) the DX70TH for 20 years, hoping this one will last as long. Call R&L, under $500 you cannot beat it. de WO8USA
N4ZDX Rating: 5/5 Jul 20, 2017 07:05 Send this review to a friend
Nice little rig  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
For the cost of this radio,it has to be one of the most underrated rigs around.This thing is a workhorse. Build quality is rather good. Doesn't feel cheap at all. While it may not be a Dx'er rig, it can hold it own rather well. Keep in mind we're not talking a multi-thousand dollar radio. It does have a wonderful receiver and the small front firing speaker actually does have rather good audio. Full 100+ watts output on all bands. My one and only complaint is the EMS-64 hand mic. While it does feel like a quality product, it seems to lack highs, lows, and mid range. In other words, it sounds bad. Plenty of audio but, not at all pleasant to listen to. I recommend replacing it with the optional EMS-14 desk mic. It makes a world of difference. All in all, again, considering the price, it's really hard to find anything major wrong with this radio. In my option, it's a keeper. I can't say enough good things about it. Play with one and you'll see what I mean. I do have to recommend it.
KC3GZH Rating: 4/5 Jul 2, 2017 14:18 Send this review to a friend
Good rig for price  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought this for $469 online. I hooked it to an end fed antenna with 9:1 unun and 39' of wire. Talked well to Canada, NC, GA, and over to IL thus far. My first HF rig. It functions well for me using the notch filter and I have shift it works pretty well.
AF5CC Rating: 4/5 Jun 19, 2017 10:32 Send this review to a friend
A good radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
First off, THE QST REVIEW IS WRONG! They mention that there is no A=B function to put both VFOs on the same frequency. That is wrong, there is. You push the function key and I believe the 1 key on the keypad. It is covered in the manual, I don't know how the reviewer missed that one.

Also, the transmit audio with the stock hand mic did not have any problems with the DX-SR8 I had. I received very good audio reports with it. One of my first QSOs was with Israel on 20 meter SSB and he was just above the noise level but heard me fine so I am guessing that the SSB audio has some punch to it.

This is an entry level radio, on par with the Yaesu FT840, Kenwood TS140, Icom 725. Those sell for too much on the used market. You can find a used DX-SR8T for less than what these others go for used. I found mine on ebay for less than $290 shipped. It is a very good rig for that price. It also gives you many features that those other entry level radios of yesteryear don't, like a built in keyer, speech processor, XIT to go along with RIT (but limited to 1khz), direct frequency entry, and quite a few other features.

The receiver on this radio is actually pretty decent. Fairly quiet and the noise blacker works pretty good on it. There is one "issue" and the manual talks about this-it is using audio filters for CW and SSB narrow. On CW this allows you to hear the other side of the zero beat-the image of the CW signal. The manual does tell you how to tune to make sure you are listening to the correct signal. I am sure this would cause a lot of QRM in a contest situation. My 2nd QSO with the Alinco was Ireland on 30 meters for a new band country, so it does do ok on CW in many instances.

It would be nice if it had a built in SWR meter. Alinco never seems to put those on their rigs. The keyer paddle wiring is opposite of other brands, but you can go into the menu and change the setting to reverse and you are now ok. The Alinco DX77 had the same issue but there was no reverse in the menu. You had to rewire the paddles. Not sure why Alinco can't wire their paddles like everyone else does.

Like other Alincos, power output isn't continuous, but instead uses a H/L/EL setting. The display is large on this radio, and easy to see, and the front firing speaker sounds good also.

For the price these go for new, there are better used radios out there, but if you want a brand new radio, this will get you on the air for a decent price. They are a good buy on the used market if priced correctly. I did enjoy using this while I had it.
KG5QHX Rating: 5/5 Apr 12, 2017 18:25 Send this review to a friend
It is a great low cost radio that works  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I really like this transceiver. I bought the DX-SR8T a couple of weeks ago and tested it out at home and it worked fine. So when we had the "Texas Radio in the Park" event, I took it out to use at the local park. Our club had met at one of the local nearby parks for the event. I set up the radio, etc and then proceeded to make some contacts. Anyway I was quite impressed with how well the radio worked. I can't find any faults with it at this time. it works and isn't difficult to operate which is one reason I like it.
KB3ZVH Rating: 5/5 Oct 4, 2016 17:04 Send this review to a friend
Great Radio for Hams on a budget!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have owned my Alinco DX-SR8 since March 2016. Bought it for my birthday. I am on medical disability and on a fixed income. great radio for the price. Love how in links to my computer and Ham Radio Deluxe. I use an MFJ-297 Desktop microphone and get great signal reports. Also love the AL-100 autotuner. Just purchased a Signalink usb for the digital modes. Much better than my old rig and Icom 745. Would recommend this rig to any ham on a budget. Great rig for the price!
AF2DX Rating: 5/5 Oct 3, 2016 23:23 Send this review to a friend
Great Rig for $435.00  Time owned: more than 12 months
I knew nothing about the rig but I called the dealer and he said it ust came out and I can have it for the price shown.
I had just sold my other rigs that cost over $1,000.00 and felt lost without them.
I got hit with blood clots then COPD that landed me in the hospital 19 times in 14 months.
My SR8 rig sat in the box for almost 2 years.
A few nights ago I put it on my desk,hooked up a mag loop and just listened.
I tried selling this rig for $300.00 and no takers and today I am so happy.
I never really made any good contacts on it so I called a ham about 20 miles from me.
I heard my voice over the phone in was very impressed.
Now my desk is all cleaned off and my key got a good cleaning and I work 40 Meters early in the morning and get nothing but good reports with my so called cheap rig and home brew indoor mag loop.
No mods to lower the power down to 30 watts.
ust a mod to let you operate 2 watts QRP.
Still a dandy rig