Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF+UHF models) | Alinco DX-SR8 Help

Reviews Summary for Alinco DX-SR8
Alinco DX-SR8 Reviews: 86 Average rating: 4.3/5 MSRP: $£499 UK & $560 US at r
Description: Budget HF Transceiver with 10w 'QRP' mode (?)

You can write your own review of the Alinco DX-SR8.

KB3ZVH Rating: 5/5 Oct 4, 2016 17:04 Send this review to a friend
Great Radio for Hams on a budget!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have owned my Alinco DX-SR8 since March 2016. Bought it for my birthday. I am on medical disability and on a fixed income. great radio for the price. Love how in links to my computer and Ham Radio Deluxe. I use an MFJ-297 Desktop microphone and get great signal reports. Also love the AL-100 autotuner. Just purchased a Signalink usb for the digital modes. Much better than my old rig and Icom 745. Would recommend this rig to any ham on a budget. Great rig for the price!
AF2DX Rating: 5/5 Oct 3, 2016 23:23 Send this review to a friend
Great Rig for $435.00  Time owned: more than 12 months
I knew nothing about the rig but I called the dealer and he said it ust came out and I can have it for the price shown.
I had just sold my other rigs that cost over $1,000.00 and felt lost without them.
I got hit with blood clots then COPD that landed me in the hospital 19 times in 14 months.
My SR8 rig sat in the box for almost 2 years.
A few nights ago I put it on my desk,hooked up a mag loop and just listened.
I tried selling this rig for $300.00 and no takers and today I am so happy.
I never really made any good contacts on it so I called a ham about 20 miles from me.
I heard my voice over the phone in was very impressed.
Now my desk is all cleaned off and my key got a good cleaning and I work 40 Meters early in the morning and get nothing but good reports with my so called cheap rig and home brew indoor mag loop.
No mods to lower the power down to 30 watts.
ust a mod to let you operate 2 watts QRP.
Still a dandy rig
KB8BLZ Rating: 5/5 Mar 18, 2016 23:54 Send this review to a friend
Worth Every Penny  Time owned: more than 12 months
I consider this radio to be one of the best budget radios around. It may not have all the bells and whistles but it does a fine job. When I was a new ham my first radio was a Drake TR-4C and to me it was a magic radio. I have a feeling new hams out there will feel the same about the alinco and maybe more so because of the ease of use and the great performance this budget radio provides. Well worth every penny.
W5GNB Rating: 4/5 Mar 1, 2016 20:43 Send this review to a friend
Works for ME !!!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I wanted a Good, CHEAP, rig with none of that stupid Computer Garbage....and THIS one fits the bill....
Decent construction with some places with "Hot Glue" within but actually, the rig works GREAT, especially on CW.
If you want better SSB performance, Trash the stock mike and upgrade to something better. Otherwise, NO COMPLAINTS !!!!
WA8MEA Rating: 5/5 Jan 8, 2016 10:28 Send this review to a friend
Difficult choice  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have both the Icom IC-718 and the Alinco DX-SR8. It would be a very difficult choice if I were to put one of them up for sale. I have NEVER been told I have poor audio from the Alinco and always ask when I am in QSO. I like the Alinco's 60 meter band capabilities, which the Icom 718 does not have when purchased unmodified. The Alinco's receiver rivals the 718; if not a tad better.
KA2SEY Rating: 5/5 Jun 18, 2015 06:33 Send this review to a friend
Great Rig for the price  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Out of the box the Alinco DX-SR8T is a nice looking rig. So as a contrast I will use the Icom 71. Owned 3 of them through the years and frankly the ICOM has many short coming in comparison to this rig. First is the FM capabilities - Icom 718 does not have any FM capabilities. Whereas, the DX-SR8T does along with tone and offset - built into the menu. Which many Hams have made complaints about the menu - explaining that it is difficult. Yet that this not the case at all, simply hold the 'Func' key and it opens right up.
Another big feature is ICOM has now incorporated the DSP unit into the sale of their rigs. In the past they didn't - so many had to purchase this for additional fee. The DX-SR8T does not have DSP, but I haven't had any issue filter through a 'pile up' and on CW it was easy to pick out a caller.
One interesting thing is that Alinco seemed to create this rig for mobile application. However there are some short comings with this option. Although the rig can be separated and you can attach the face separated from the rig itself. Alinco suggest placing the balance of the rig either under the seat or in the trunk. However there doesn't seem to be a mounting bracket for the rig once you have mounted the face.
I see this as a problem, because your rig is now either bouncing around under the seat or inside the trunk.
Alinco you dropped the ball on this one. Then again maybe I missed something here - but for the life of me ... I have search the web looking for an application to mount the remainder of the rig, and haven't found a way to do so without fabricating my own.
The display on both rigs is large enough that even these old weary eyes has not difficulty seeing everything on either radio.
The selectable power setting I guess is a plus - but most hams basically like to just broadcast - but if you like QRP. The Alinco offers that option - which the ICOM 718 does not.
Both have front speakers and the Alinco does hold its own - has a great sound and pleasant tone to it.
So for a bare-bone rig at a modest price. I think the DX-SR8T wins over the ICOM 718. One last thing ... I think Alinco should have considered putting and SWR meter into this rig.
For what its worth - using it as a base and putting and tuner, SWR meter in-line. I would spend the extra bucks to get a rig that does.
I guess you can't have it both ways - mobile or base rig? The jury still out ...
KD8LXL Rating: 5/5 May 11, 2015 22:39 Send this review to a friend
great value  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
For what I paid for this rig, not disappointed at all. I did not expect it to be a contest rig, just a basic 100 watt HF radio and that's what this is. Receive is very good, I do not use the standard EMS-64 microphone that comes standard, I use the Alinco EMS-14 desk microphone. I get far better audio reports when using the desk microphone
AD0OO Rating: 5/5 May 6, 2015 15:02 Send this review to a friend
Very good first or back up radio!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased this radio as a first radio to get me started and have been very happy with it! I have been a bit "antenna challenged" and just really got to start playing with it recently. The build quality is good, the solder joints are clean, and the radio works well.
I added a powered speaker w/sub to it and the incoming audio is now very acceptable. My friend and I did an experiment at his shack with his iCom 718 and my Alinco and he was very surprised with this radio! The receive and transmit were as good as his was but he had an edge in the filtering department.
All in all, a nice radio that will serve me well....for now...;)
KD8VMR Rating: 5/5 Mar 25, 2015 10:15 Send this review to a friend
Great mobile rig!!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This rig is a great radio if you are looking for a mobile, or a new ham looking for something inexpensive. I have had this rig for only about a week. It was fairly simple to install in my truck. Audio reports have been great. Made severa DX contacts so far. I would recomend this to all hams. This is a great produxt. I use a kenwood ts450s in the shack, and would have to say that this alinco receive quality is superior to the kenwood.
2E0AYQ Rating: 5/5 Sep 26, 2014 13:14 Send this review to a friend
Very Pleased Nice Radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
bought this radio from Nevada and I'm very
pleased with it.

excellent rx
nice big display
nice build quality
good tx audio
hasn't got lots of hidden menus which is a advantage for me
excellent value for money