Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur HF+6M+VHF+UHF models - not QRP <5W | Alinco DX-SR8 Help

Reviews Summary for Alinco DX-SR8
Alinco DX-SR8 Reviews: 91 Average rating: 4.4/5 MSRP: $£499 UK & $560 US at r
Description: Budget HF Transceiver with 10w 'QRP' mode (?)
More info: http://www.alinco.com/Products/ham/hf/DX-SR8/

You can write your own review of the Alinco DX-SR8.

KA2SEY Rating: 5/5 Jun 18, 2015 06:33 Send this review to a friend
Great Rig for the price  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Out of the box the Alinco DX-SR8T is a nice looking rig. So as a contrast I will use the Icom 71. Owned 3 of them through the years and frankly the ICOM has many short coming in comparison to this rig. First is the FM capabilities - Icom 718 does not have any FM capabilities. Whereas, the DX-SR8T does along with tone and offset - built into the menu. Which many Hams have made complaints about the menu - explaining that it is difficult. Yet that this not the case at all, simply hold the 'Func' key and it opens right up.
Another big feature is ICOM has now incorporated the DSP unit into the sale of their rigs. In the past they didn't - so many had to purchase this for additional fee. The DX-SR8T does not have DSP, but I haven't had any issue filter through a 'pile up' and on CW it was easy to pick out a caller.
One interesting thing is that Alinco seemed to create this rig for mobile application. However there are some short comings with this option. Although the rig can be separated and you can attach the face separated from the rig itself. Alinco suggest placing the balance of the rig either under the seat or in the trunk. However there doesn't seem to be a mounting bracket for the rig once you have mounted the face.
I see this as a problem, because your rig is now either bouncing around under the seat or inside the trunk.
Alinco you dropped the ball on this one. Then again maybe I missed something here - but for the life of me ... I have search the web looking for an application to mount the remainder of the rig, and haven't found a way to do so without fabricating my own.
The display on both rigs is large enough that even these old weary eyes has not difficulty seeing everything on either radio.
The selectable power setting I guess is a plus - but most hams basically like to just broadcast - but if you like QRP. The Alinco offers that option - which the ICOM 718 does not.
Both have front speakers and the Alinco does hold its own - has a great sound and pleasant tone to it.
So for a bare-bone rig at a modest price. I think the DX-SR8T wins over the ICOM 718. One last thing ... I think Alinco should have considered putting and SWR meter into this rig.
For what its worth - using it as a base and putting and tuner, SWR meter in-line. I would spend the extra bucks to get a rig that does.
I guess you can't have it both ways - mobile or base rig? The jury still out ...

AC8YJ Rating: 5/5 May 11, 2015 22:39 Send this review to a friend
great value  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
For what I paid for this rig, not disappointed at all. I did not expect it to be a contest rig, just a basic 100 watt HF radio and that's what this is. Receive is very good, I do not use the standard EMS-64 microphone that comes standard, I use the Alinco EMS-14 desk microphone. I get far better audio reports when using the desk microphone

AD0OO Rating: 5/5 May 6, 2015 15:02 Send this review to a friend
Very good first or back up radio!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased this radio as a first radio to get me started and have been very happy with it! I have been a bit "antenna challenged" and just really got to start playing with it recently. The build quality is good, the solder joints are clean, and the radio works well.
I added a powered speaker w/sub to it and the incoming audio is now very acceptable. My friend and I did an experiment at his shack with his iCom 718 and my Alinco and he was very surprised with this radio! The receive and transmit were as good as his was but he had an edge in the filtering department.
All in all, a nice radio that will serve me well....for now...;)

KD8VMR Rating: 5/5 Mar 25, 2015 10:15 Send this review to a friend
Great mobile rig!!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This rig is a great radio if you are looking for a mobile, or a new ham looking for something inexpensive. I have had this rig for only about a week. It was fairly simple to install in my truck. Audio reports have been great. Made severa DX contacts so far. I would recomend this to all hams. This is a great produxt. I use a kenwood ts450s in the shack, and would have to say that this alinco receive quality is superior to the kenwood.

2E0AYQ Rating: 5/5 Sep 26, 2014 13:14 Send this review to a friend
Very Pleased Nice Radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
bought this radio from Nevada and I'm very
pleased with it.

excellent rx
nice big display
nice build quality
good tx audio
hasn't got lots of hidden menus which is a advantage for me
excellent value for money
well done alinco

N7KOB Rating: 5/5 Aug 4, 2014 11:12 Send this review to a friend
Great radio for the price  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is a great radio for the price. I was skeptical based on some reviews I read, which delayed my purchase of this radio for over a year, my loss, since I use it every day practically since I got it two months ago.

I work qrp digital modes, and soon to add CW to that mix. My dx-sr8 runs in the low power (10W max) setting and the microphone that shipped with it has never been connected. I have had either a rigblaster nomic and a signalink usb connected to the microphone jack since I received the radio.

PSK31 and the JTxx variants work beautifully with this radio.

The only limitation I have seen with this radio is the fact that you can either do voice or data at any given time, since there is no accessory port for data transmission as many other transceivers have, so you'll be swapping the microphone and data connectors from the microphone port on the front.

Ham Radio can be an expensive hobby, this radio definitely fits the bill for an entry level HF radio that is both well built and easy to use.

Would I buy this radio again? YES!!!! For the price, it can't be beat.

AF2DX Rating: 5/5 Jul 6, 2014 14:48 Send this review to a friend
Working CW with the SR8 HF rig  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I had mine for more then two months now.
I was in the FD contest and the built in CW filter worked great.
I did some test wit the Idiom Press SCAF filter and the New England QRP SCAF filter
I then tried the old vintage MFJ CWF-1 audio filter and that also worked very fine.
The SR8 HF rig is also xcellent also for working outdoors and I use a good set of head phones and listen for weak QRP.
I find the RX to have much less noise floor QRM and I guess it's because the rig is not loaded with so many noise generating SMD parts.
I only needed the manual to set the AGC and I do use the tiny Pico external keyer because the speed control knob is right on top of the small plastic box.
Best bang for your dollar.
BOB AF2Q

KG5BKY Rating: 5/5 Jun 21, 2014 08:16 Send this review to a friend
An Honest Review  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
While I am a relatively new Ham Radio operator, just received my license, I am not new to radio at all. I have been involved in radio since I was 9 years old but now a good age of 58, I have heard all types of radios. I purchased the Alinco DX-SR8T as I wanted simplicity when I entered the radio hobby. Knowing that the antenna is really the key behind a transmitter I designed a horizontal Delta Loop for this radio. Dipoles have too much noise but the Delta loop provides less noise level. I can honestly say that the ears on this radio with the Delta loop, superb. Altec Lansing speakers are being used for better quieting and filtering. The SWR's are low on the antenna I built from scratch and a lot of other Hams I have had QSO's with have given me excellent reports so far. Full resonance to the antenna is being provided. There is no linear amplifier on the radio and even though band conditions are not the greatest right now I can't wait from them to improve. The power out is 100 watts but I only have it set right now to peak at 75 to 80 watts. I am not a CW operator yet but looking to work on that really soon. As a new operator I did not want to overload myself with features I will probably not use right now. And I have not even started programming the unit yet.
For a seasoned Ham that are used to all the additional features on higher end dollar radio's this would be a great stand by or portable choice radio for you. For those operators looking to get in a minimal cost this is a good choice. The 1 watt, 10 watt, and 100 watt selections make it nice if you wanted to add on a linear. Perhaps I will in the future but for now I am perfectly happy with this choice of radio and would buy another one.

AF2DX Rating: 5/5 May 16, 2014 22:03 Send this review to a friend
UPDATE ON THE DX-SR8  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I been on and off of the borrowed rig all day and the CW filtering is so so but I just happened to be able to pick out the tone I want to copy.
Just for kicks,I used the NE-QRP SCAF filter.
I turned it down so narrrow I lost the station and I then flipped the switch on the filter and the ham from France was banging on my door.
Another thing I saw was that early this morning HRO dropped the price down to $499.99.
One advantage in using the built in CW filter is that if you can only copy the tone of the station you are working,and some other rare DX happens to start calling CQ you'll hear him.
Many WW2 radio OP's today still copy CW with vintage Military receivers and no filtering.They trained their selves to copy the tone they want to work.
BTW,Audio kicks BUTT and so much better then my sold off FT 857-D rigs
73 es GL DXing
BOB AF2Q

W6TZI Rating: 2/5 May 12, 2014 13:25 Send this review to a friend
RX ok, TX is terrible  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I wanted an honest no frills HF tranceiver for digital modes so I bought this Alinco dx-sr8t. The receive of this radio is as good as my Kenwood TS-940, however the transmit is dismal as the SSB modulator rolls off rapidly below 1.5 kHz ! The majority of this radio's transmit frequency response is between 1.5 kHz to 3 kHz, which is perfect if you have a cartoon voice, but terrible for the normal human voice and EVEN WORSE for some digital modes. Alinco customer support says if I want a quality radio then I should spend more money! I thought I WAS buying a quality radio...
Because Alinco has poor customer support and low engineering standards I will NEVER buy another Alinco product and your money would be better spent buying ANYTHING other than Alinco junk too.

W6TZI