Reviews Categories | Ham radio kits | Oak Hills Research DD-1 Digital Display Help

Reviews Summary for Oak Hills Research DD-1 Digital Display
Oak Hills Research DD-1 Digital Display Reviews: 7 Average rating: 4.6/5 MSRP: $100 plus shipping (Mar 2010)
Description: Six digit programmable frequency counter which can be used as a digital display on any transceiver.
More info: http://www.ohr.com/

You can write your own review of the Oak Hills Research DD-1 Digital Display.

K4JPN Rating: 5/5 May 16, 2014 12:18 Send this review to a friend
Great  Time owned: more than 12 months
Built one many years ago for my OHR-100A, I liked it so much I built another for my HW-8, with the HW-8 it made operating a pleasure. I came up with a simple interface for use with the HW-8 which can be found at http://www.thewinstonator.com/images/PDF%20Files/hw8counter.pdf

WA4FOM Rating: 5/5 May 16, 2014 08:57 Send this review to a friend
Nice little kit and display  Time owned: more than 12 months
This kit is great for a beginner who may want
some practice before diving into, say, an
Elecraft K2. Mine went together without
incident and has been functioning nicely
ever since.

WB3T Rating: 2/5 May 16, 2014 06:24 Send this review to a friend
No more OHR for me.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I can't believe OHR charges $10 if you misplace your manual. Everybody else's are online. Also, mine came with a bad DC cable/plug assembly. It was replaced, but with another bad one. Then OHR wanted me to spring for return shipping and instructed me NOT to simply put it in an envelope forst class, but to send it Priority, so they could get a refund from the vendor. That would mean I'd spend $6.50 so OHR could get a $1.00 refund. (allelectronics.com has this same plug/cable for $1.00).

KG4LLQ Rating: 5/5 Jan 20, 2014 05:37 Send this review to a friend
The DD-1 is Great  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I put my DD-1 together & calibrated it in 2 1/2 nights (I'm 67 years old & my eyesight isn't what it use to be). Then I aligned & set it up with my OHR-100a (40 meters). This is a fantastic kit and an essential shack accessory. The folks at Oak Hills Research and the quality of their products are the best. Now my DD-1's job is to align my trusty old HW-8.
72, Ken

WB0FDJ Rating: 5/5 Jan 1, 2014 21:10 Send this review to a friend
A great accessory  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I do a lot of QRP operating. My main rig is an Argonaut 509 and for casual operating it's still a wonderful radio. But it's really tough to know, with any accuracy, what frequency you are operating. After a lot of homework I ordered the DD-1 Digital Dial from OHR. This a great kit. It arrived quickly. All the parts were there. The instructions are very clear and it went together without a hitch and comes with an attractive enclosure.

I tapped the output of the oscillator subassembly with a 47 pF cap, ran a short piece of coax out through the bottom of the rig and soldered on a phono plug. The DD-1 plugs in to sample the LO frequency and memory channels will add or subtact the IF freq. (If you already have an OHR radio, the phono plug is built in). I like to sit on the QRP watering holes and this lets me be spot on.

For those of us who regularly use these older rigs this is a great accessory. I would highly recommend it.

AA4K Rating: 5/5 Jan 21, 2011 10:33 Send this review to a friend
Excellent  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Like all ohr kits, DD-1 is great. It is easy to assemble, but I don't think a first time kit builder should attempt this one because of the narrow spacing between solder pads. I have a 20M OHR100A with the 10 turn pot, OHR WM-2, and now the DD-1. They are an excellent combination. I had a little problem with missing parts but this was quickly corrected.

NG9D Rating: 5/5 Apr 3, 2010 06:30 Send this review to a friend
Great Accessory for Analog Rigs  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Building this kit, wiring VFO connections in four Ten-Tec QRP radios and programming DD-1 took about a day. There was only one part that OHR was short (2N3904) and they offered to send it to me, but I lucked out and found one in my spare parts bin in the meantime.

The instructions are clear. Voltage checks are provided before inserting the integrated circuit chips into the sockets and final adjustment and assembly. Fit and finish is great.

The DD-1 has five programmable memory channels so you can use it with various different radio intermediate frequencies. For example, my four Ten-Tec QRP rigs all have differing intermediate frequencies (some with reverse counting). I show this in a demonstration video at
The offsets are push-button selectable from the front panel.

You can set it for either 100 Hz or 1 kHz resolution and for a digit blanking battery saving mode that comes to life when the frequency changes. The anti-jitter code works.

The unit is supposed to work up to 50 MHz. I have used it from 3.5 to 14 MHz and it works fine for me, without introducing any noticeable noise into my Ten-Tec T1300 series QRP transceivers.

73 de NG9D