Reviews Categories | Antenna Tuners | Ten Tec model 247 antenna tuner- Help

Reviews Summary for Ten Tec model 247 antenna tuner-
Reviews: 5 Average rating: 3.6/5 MSRP: $unknown
Description: 160 through 10 meter antenna tune with balanced wire capabilities
More info: http://www.tentec.com

You can write your own review of the Ten Tec model 247 antenna tuner-.

KC0YNP Rating: 5/5 Oct 2, 2012 19:25 Send this review to a friend
It's a workhorse!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Prior to purchasing a used, beat up Ten Tec 247 tuner on Ebay, my primary tuner was the Palstar AT1500DT. I like it fine, but to tune to 160 meters from 20 meters takes a lot of inductor cranking. I saw a 247 for a reasonable price and bought it for mobile operations since the Palstar is a whopper.

With three knobs, the Series Cap, the Shunt Cap, and the Inductance, you'd think the Palstar could be tuned faster, but alas, I can dial in the ol' Ten Tec faster and without the all-day cranking. It seems to need less adjustment than the Palstar for moving around on a band. I haven't tried the balanced wire portion yet since I don't currently have my 135 ft. dipole up, but I hope to soon.

I think the gentleman that gave this tuner a 0 must have purchased the one clunker in a thousand, some Monday morning model, or one damaged in the mail. This is my first piece of Ten Tec equipment, and I am impressed.

I hope this review helps improve the rating of a great tuner.

K9DNH Rating: 5/5 Jun 29, 2011 11:36 Send this review to a friend
great low power tuner  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had this for 20 years and it was used when I got it. It has always worked good for me...

N7AG Rating: 4/5 Jun 10, 2011 14:42 Send this review to a friend
work fb  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Mine always worked just fine. If anything, more taps on the inductor than I needed. (better more than too few)

I would say a solid, basic tuner.

AC5E Rating: 4/5 Apr 3, 2010 17:51 Send this review to a friend
Used one mobile for a several years  Time owned: more than 12 months
Heavens! I used a 247 mobile with a Delta II for the last five or six years I was on the road. It always worked very well, even when I QSY'd far past the point where it was supposed to be unable to make a match. It was always a solid, reliable 200 Watt PEP tuner - even if I did have to stop to change bands.

I probably quit playing traveling salesman about the time Ten-Tec discontinued the 247, but I have never heard anything but good things about them. The easy drill is to use an antenna analyzer and build yourself a tuning chart for your antennas. If you cannot achieve a match into a reasonable SWR (5:1 or so) the 247 may have been used after an amplifier.

73 Pete Allen AC5E

KM5WX Rating: 0/5 Apr 3, 2010 16:56 Send this review to a friend
0-lowsy if that is spelled incorrectly it's because I'm FURIOUS  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
If ten -tec has ever made a product that is of the poor quality as this tuner I am surely surprised. I've owned Ten_tec equipment for 15 years and I've always thought of them to be of the highest quality. I must say after purchasing this tuner I am terribly disappointed. It's very hard for me to say anything bad about their equipment but unless there is something wrong with this model tuner (and I've checked) it is a low point in Ten Tec's history. I've only written this to warn other buyers. It is hard for me to write this after all the great reviews that I have written about TenTec equipment. I still feel they are the best that there is but they missed the mark on this one. So if you intend to buy this model tuner do your homework. It may be the fact that there is something wrong with mine but if there is I can't find it. Just a warning about this particular model because I've never been disappointed with any other gear that I have purchased from them. I still feel they are the best manufacturer of ham radio equipment and will continue to buy their products I just won't sell this one to anyone else so I don't have a negative remark about my credabilty. 73 Richard KM5W