Reviews Categories | Receivers: General Coverage | Grundig G5 Help

Reviews Summary for Grundig G5
Reviews: 6 Average rating: 4.3/5 MSRP: $89
Description: AM/FM/SW with SSB mini portable SWL receiver. 150-29999+88-108FM.

You can write your own review of the Grundig G5.

F61 Rating: 5/5 Jun 18, 2013 19:49 Send this review to a friend
Used, still very good radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
I would rate 4.5/5. I bought this used from eBay in 2010, and after nearly 3 years of use its still in good shape. There are minor usage issues like a power button that takes 2 or 3 tries to get going, a loose antenna to mount, and I managed to break the stand. AM reception has quiet noise floor as compared to inexpensive DSP radios, and the ferrite bar functions up to at least 2000 kHz, as determined by listening to New York Radio on 2000-USB. Continuous Band coverage 150-30000 kHz a big plus over DSP's. Local/DX switch coupled with narrow/wide band works very well. Shortwave listening is not quite up to DSP Radio (Tecsun PL-310/380/606) but very close. DSP FM is better. The SSB fine-tune wheel a little sensitive, but quite useable. I have logged 47 ndb's barefoot from FN31nl, so I feel the radio is set up well for Amplitude Modulation listening.

My price was $60 shipped, and of course the equivilent Degen DE-1103 runs $10-20 more when new. At this pricing the G5's ergonomics is a pleasure, radio reception being near-equal.

F61-out

KA2AYR Rating: 2/5 Apr 2, 2012 06:35 Send this review to a friend
It might be time for a revision...  Time owned: more than 12 months
Well, last year I had the perfect opportunity to give this thing a spin. I was sent on a 20 hr. plane ride to the Middle East and decided to bring my G5 and a big package of AA batteries. I was all set for DX. When I got there, I took out the batteries (purchased in the US) and put them into the radio. I turned it on. It played for a second and then - behold - the magic smoke came out. It was packed in my luggage and something must've shaken loose during the trip (was in the case and wasn't physically damaged on the outside). Well beyond the warranty period, now it's disposable. I expected better quality control. It's fine for light duty, otherwise you get what you get.

KT0DD Rating: 5/5 Nov 29, 2011 08:21 Send this review to a friend
Nice for what it is...  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just bought a new one that is old stock from an online company. While it's no Icom 7800 receiver, for a small portable, I am impressed with it's shortwave / ham capabilities. AM / FM is good locally, but I don't know about long range. If you can find a NOS like I did or a good used one, I'd go for it.

KD7H Rating: 5/5 Sep 15, 2010 18:16 Send this review to a friend
Excellent for size & price  Time owned: more than 12 months
Compared with the other relatively small shortwave portables that I own or have used, including the SONY 7600GR, Sangean ATS-909, and Kaito 1102, the G5 is superb in terms of size and cost. I like how I can program banks of frequencies into memory pages that are identifed alpha-numerically. That's something that I can't do with the SONY, for example. It is possible to do that with the 909, but the 909 is considerably larger and heavier than the G5.
The tuning knob on the G5 is easy to use and I prefer it over slew buttons.
Regarding setting up memories, I think they're easy to set-up so I don't understand the problem that another reviewer had.
Regarding synchronous detection available with the G3 and SONY 7600GR, I don't miss it on the G5 because I hardly ever use it with my SONY, and, most of the time, I haven't found it necessary.
Tuning in ssb with the G5 requires a little practice and understanding how ssb signals tune with any receiver. The problem, for beginners, is that most Ham ssb transmissions are relatively short and it might take a while for the newbie to figure out which way to tune the fine-tune control. The SONY, for example, makes it a little easier because it has selectable LSB/USB (lower and upper sideband). CW (Morse code), however, is a snap to tune.
I bought mine mainly for shortwave/Ham monitoring, however, besides being a terrific shortwave portable it does include an excellent VHF-FM and MW-AM receiver. Fit and finish are also excellent.
Because the Grundig G3 is the new, spiffy portable being marketed by Eton-Grundig, the G5 is being sold at very attractive prices ($75 at Fry's). I gave this a 5 considering price, size, construction, ease of use/ergonomics, and capabilities compared to similar units. However, one shouldn't think this will do what an Eton E1 will do, for example.

KA2AYR Rating: 4/5 Aug 27, 2010 07:58 Send this review to a friend
Great receiver - but the other features?  Time owned: more than 12 months
If I were rating this simply on the receiver itself, it would be a 5. But the other features are... weird and the display funky (disagree? how does the word "Hold" look? And, what is "Hold," anyway? And, how do I make it go away without randomly pushing buttons?). I can operate the receiver fine. I cannot figure out how to set the timers or any of the advanced features and the manual seems to be awkwardly translated. I understand it does a lot once you "get it." I just don't, and don't rely on the timer, memories, or other advanced stuff. If you don't use those features, the sensitivity is excellent and regular operation is straightforward.

WA9Z Rating: 5/5 Apr 9, 2010 16:57 Send this review to a friend
Amazing and small  Time owned: months
Small portables get better all the time. The G5 is no exception. And it's small! The highlights...BFO tuned SSB is very smooth and stable. Has excellent tonal quality and volume for its size. The rotary encoder on the side adds tuning flexibility along with the up/dn buttons in front. Has a built-in battery charger with programmable charge timer. Allows you to customize charge time based on your battery chemistry and capacity. That's pretty slick. Mode is memorized along with frequency in memory. No more manual switch to turn on the BFO. External antenna on HF is not needed and can result in image and fundamental overload. Perceived sensitivity using the telescopic antenna is on par with my Sony 2010.(tested side by side in real time) About 20 minutes of reading revealed all the control secondary functions and the primaries were intuitive out of the box. . Excellent fit and finish. Nice "feel". I got mine on eBay brand new for $79. and enjoying every penny.