Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Hand-held | Quansheng TG-UV2 Help

Reviews Summary for Quansheng TG-UV2
Quansheng TG-UV2 Reviews: 57 Average rating: 4.6/5 MSRP: $150
Description: Dual Band 2m / 440 Professional FM Transceiver.
TG-UV2 Dual Band 2-Way Radio VHF 136-174 & UHF 400~470MHz
More info: http://www.qsfj.com/index.php?lang=en

You can write your own review of the Quansheng TG-UV2.

ANDREW30 Rating: 3/5 Jun 5, 2017 04:42 Send this review to a friend
Not sure what to think of this radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased TG-UV2 in expectations its RX will be miles better (as hinted by other reviewers) to my Baofeng UV-B5, but the opposite is true.

I got TG-UV2 from reputable seller on Aliexpress for $65, which is the average price for the unit as of today. Arrived fairly quickly, in just 14 days.
First impressions consisted of slight disappointment.

RX performance fares on being just average. UV2 failed to extract weak signals from noise, where B5 would gave out 100% copy. Its frontend is fairly resilient to strong narrowband QRM, but fails to impress on wideband scale (in near vicinity of GSM repeaters). In practice, it performs similarly to B5 in challenging situations, maybe slightly better, but that's hard to tell.

The S-Meter is borderline useless, it only indicates in block of 3, that means it'll show either S0, S3, S6 or S9. It's also very forgiving, rating fairly weak signals S9, whereas B5 would give those S5 at best.

On the other hand TX is very good, there are 3 levels of power. On top of that, the power is adjustable by a trimmer inside the unit, so sub 0.5W TX is possible.
Modulation is loud and clear, perhaps too loud as on narrowband setting it peaks way beyond 12.5k. B5 is little too conservative in that regard.
Battery lasts quite a while, UV2 pulls just 20mA on idle, which would translate into 80-90h of operation.
The unit is very well built and does give impression that it'll survive rough handling. Although the mic port and speaker don't scream "water resistant".
No DTMF is a bummer, there are many repeaters in my area with Echolink capability, so not having that slightly cripples the TRX as a whole. Sure, there are workarounds, such as DTMF mic or DTMF app on Android. Neither of these are however too convenient, as they add extra piece of hardware one needs to carry around.

Scanning is slow, not too slow, but still enough to be nuisance. B5 scans a bit faster.
No DSP on superhetero receiver is acceptable, but the speaker on UV2 boost 4-6kHz region, subjectively adding noise to receiving signals. B5 does have DSP, and it helps quite a lot in extracting very weak signals.

Field test with B5 and UV2 and cheapo old PMR Cobra MT-725 in near vicinity of transmission tower revealed following:

50m from tower - B5 is unusable, UV2 struggles but manages to reproduce incoming signal quite well, with 90% copy and some extra noise. 725 passes with flying colours, 59+ as if the person was standing next to me.
100m from tower - B5 started to pickup signal very clearly, giving it S6 in strength, UV2 fared similarly but there was more noise overall. 725, as always 59+, the best result.

The same test with 50mW instead of 500mW on transmitting side:
50m - B5 deaf, UV2 deaf, 725 report 57, 100% copy
100m - B5 report 54, UV2 deaf, 725 report 57, 100% copy

So all in all, UV2 feels like a good radio, and I would have gone all the way and forgive it its shortcomings such as no DTMF, slow scan and S-meter, as long as it would outperform B5 on RX by at least 3dB.
Because as of now, I can't see its worth, being twice as expensive and not really huge step forward compared to B5s.
I'm in close contact with the manufacturer, discussing ways to improve sensitivity. I'll update the review if I somehow succeed.

KF7WXV Rating: 5/5 Feb 16, 2016 10:14 Send this review to a friend
BEST Chinese handheld, hands down  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've owned about half a dozen, and used as many as 20, Quansheng TG-UV2's over the past 5 years. I bought my first one in the spring of 2011 for $92, and my most recent one last week for $67 (Amazon). In the meantime, I have owned and used Baofeng multiple UV-5r and UV-5Re+, Wouxun KG-UV8d, and other Chinese handhelds (as well as serious radios like the FT-857d), and in that time I have tested and compared these radios extensively. This culminated in the following video (importantly, audio) comparison of Chinese HT's:

(Sorry - you'll have to copy/paste because eHam doesn't let me link.)

In short, the Quansheng's main advantage over other Chinese handhelds is its receive sensitivity and noise rejection. Its 2m FM receive is very similar to the Yaesu FT-857d. Baofeng and Wouxun radios tested as very significantly worse in their receive characteristics, to the point that a full copy of a voice was obtained on the TG-UV2 while there was no indication that there was even a voice on the frequency using the other Chinese handhelds.

One other small advantage specifically over other Chinese HTs is that the "0" key is where you expect it to be, not off the right side of the keypad.

In terms of the criticisms which have been made about this radio, they include that its scanning is fairly slow, and that it doesn't have DTMF tones. These are both true (unless you use a DTMF tone hand mic), but neither is very important to me in comparison to being able to really hear things. I have also criticized that its power output varies by frequency and antenna characteristics and may not always be at the full rated power (e.g. across the 136-174mhz area, its "high" might be anywhere from 3w-6w, while I have measured "low power" down to about 0.5w at the lowest). Some people have had trouble with the fact that you don't scroll through a clearly-labeled menu, but instead type in F+[1-9] or F+[01-09]. I don't mind it, since the labels in other radios' menus are useless anyway. ("SFT-D" does not say "repeater offset" to me, Baofeng!) Finally, some people have said that, like other Chinese HT's, the memory programming is not intuitive. I do not agree with this criticism - I think the memory programming is as easy as any other HT, Chinese or otherwise, and of course the USB programming cable is the same for any of these radios with the Kenwood audio connector.

OK, now things about this radio that I love! Where to start... It's not much more expensive than most Chinese HT's except for the very cheapest, and it's much cheaper than big brand name radios (K/I/Y/etc.). It has a battery that will last for days on standby. Its charger (although it isn't labeled) will take 11-15vDC no problem. It's a really sturdy-feeling radio, and nothing about it is flimsy. It took me 4 years until I broke any part of any of them (dropped it down a full flight of hardwood stairs, landing on concrete; corner of screen was cracked but radio was fine). Its dual-watch is real dual-watch, so I can listen to uninterrupted music on FM broadcast until something comes over the repeater or simplex frequency I'm dual-watching. It's wide open, so you can talk to your grandson's (or your grandad's) GMRS/FRS radio... or NOAA weather radio (not advised - hihi). They have a mere mortal SMA jack for using real coax and antennas, and the rubber ducky is good as rubber duckies go. I like having three power settings because sometimes medium is just right.

I don't know my most distant simplex contact with one of these radios, but I have definitely worked a 2 meter repeater 92 miles away with enough RF to spare that I received the same "full-quieting" signal report on high and low power. (External antenna, obviously.)

WA3LWR Rating: 5/5 Aug 31, 2015 13:39 Send this review to a friend
Great Radio at a Low Price  Time owned: more than 12 months
I own several HTs, including Icom, Yaesu, Alinco, Baofong, Woxun, and Quansheng. The Quansheng outshines them all. It is well made, sensitive, fantastic battery life, excellent audio on both transmit and receive. You can usually get one for less than $90 and it is the best bargain and superior to other similarly priced radios and cheaper units.
It is a little harder to find and not as popular as some, but it is the best.

K4DSB Rating: 4/5 Apr 19, 2015 12:24 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Performance  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Radio is light, very sensitive but difficult to program (learning curve is high.. reason for the 4 rating). Most impressed with range and sensitivity. Many hidden features can be unlocked. Scan feature, 3 different power settings (measured 4.3 watts out on high power with Bird..(2 meters)) many memories and built very very rugged. SMA-F connector on top ..you need converter to SO239, BNC etc if you go to a mobile antenna. Awesome as a public service bands scanner, weather radio etc. Optional software/cable programming package recommended. For the $80 I spent its worth EVERY PENNY. I use mostly to access my clubs repeater. Amateur Radio License required for operation in amateur radio bands.

KF5VQY Rating: 5/5 Dec 27, 2014 17:13 Send this review to a friend
Superb receiver sensitivity and battery life  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Outstanding battery life, with a genuinely usable battery level indicator - unlike the Baofeng UV5R+ or Wouxun UV6D, the battery indicator displays a linear drop in remaining battery life - a very welcome feature!

Very solid build, feels perfect in the hand. Unlike the Baofeng UV5R+, you can't access all of the buttons on the radio when it's sitting in the charger.

This radio has outstanding receive sensitivity on both VHF and UHF - the VHF sensitivity is every bit the equal of my Yaesu FT-897D and Wouxun UV6D radios, and the UHF is only the slightest bit less sensitive than the FT-897D but still the best I've ever seen on any HT.

Some good points:

1) IP55 resistant to water and dust.

2) Three power settings (Low, Medium and High).

3) The ability to change immediate-mode power level for a programmed channel (can't do that with a Wouxun UV6D or Baofeng UV5R+).

4) The ability to have the main channel (upper display) in VFO mode and the sub (lower display) channel in memory mode (and vise versa). The Wouxun UV6D and Baofeng UV5R+ can't do that.

And a few cons:

1) The Reverse and Scan functions both require two buttons to activate.

2) There aren't any user-definable keys (which would be nice for Reverse or Scan).

3) Chirp doesn't support this model (and may never).

4) The full menu system is NOT intuitive, and is almost unusable without the manual.

All in all, this radio probably wouldn't be my every day carry HT if only because the operation isn't as intuitive as a Baofeng or Wouxun. But it would be a very good HT to keep in a bug-out bag along with 1) the user manual, 2) a Nagoya 771 antenna and 3) a spare battery.

Given the outstanding receiver sensitivity and superb battery life, together with the $82 price and free shipping on Amazon, I can't rate this radio any less than a 5!

VK3TEN Rating: 5/5 Apr 6, 2014 20:02 Send this review to a friend
Great value and superb battery  Time owned: more than 12 months
I can't add much to what others have said here and agree with most comments. Just wanting to let others know this radio is also sold as an "NUT AT-UVB", until you realize this radio is the same, information on the NUT is slim.

I have a Windows programming guide on my website:

I would probably give this a 4.5 if possible as the programming software does not have CSV import, and as others mention the lack of DTMF. But for the price and free programming software I'm leaning to a 5.

Cheers, VK3TEN

WA3LWR Rating: 5/5 Aug 3, 2013 08:14 Send this review to a friend
Very Good Radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
Just an addition to my earlier rating. The software is available on line, and is a basic Excell spread sheet type. Works ok and easier than manually programming. I wish the radio had the ability to change the pause when scanning to pause until no carrier on frequency, but none of the HTs seem to have that ability, so I cannot mark it down for that. Recently dropped it in salt water and it remained dry inside and no problems. I have seen most of the radios for about $90, so the $110 price is inaccurate.

VA1DER Rating: 5/5 Jul 21, 2013 09:23 Send this review to a friend
Great sensitivity  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Excellent radio, especially considering the price. It's an exceptionally sensitive unit that comes with a surprisingly good antenna. Audio (speaker) quality is good, as is transmitted audio is great. Versatile settings that seem easy enough to pick up (unless your VCR used to blink 12).

Lack of DTMF is unfortunate, but I work around generating DTMF from my Android phone. The plus side of this is that I can store the numbers for all my local repeaters.

It's also unfortunate (though not Quansheng's fault) that so many places sell programming cables for this (and other Chinese radios) that contain knock-off Prolific USB-to-serial adapters in them. Prolific has been changing their drivers to not recognize the clones. If you are having troubles getting your programming cable to work on recent Windows versions, go to http://www.crercc.com/driver_issues.html and get version 3.2.0.0 of the drivers. Works great on my Windows 7 and Windows 8 64 bit machines. If you don't want to deal with the driver issues, then I recommend buying a full-priced Kenwood programming cable.

Pros: Outstanding sensitivity, very good audio quality, price, accessibility to non-ham frequencies (Marine for us Navy people is nice)

Cons: No DTMF, display won't show channel names with frequencies, cheap programming cables can be hard to find drivers for.

WA3LWR Rating: 5/5 Jul 15, 2013 14:38 Send this review to a friend
Great radio, even better at the price  Time owned: more than 12 months
Have owned the portable for over 2 years, dropping it many times, etc. No problems, fantastic transmit audio, long battery life, and a great deal for $90.

N2OBS Rating: 4/5 Jul 10, 2013 09:51 Send this review to a friend
Basic Radio  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Unless you have owned or operated the foreign made radios my advice is get the programming usb cable and study the manual. It's a nice, compact transceiver but if you look for cheaply made radios there are quality points that will suffer. One I discovered is there is no offset that one can program manually without the software giving aide, is this correct or have I overlooked?