Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Hand-held | Quansheng TG-UV2 Help

Reviews Summary for Quansheng TG-UV2
Quansheng TG-UV2 Reviews: 57 Average rating: 4.6/5 MSRP: $150
Description: Dual Band 2m / 440 Professional FM Transceiver.
TG-UV2 Dual Band 2-Way Radio VHF 136-174 & UHF 400~470MHz
More info: http://www.qsfj.com/index.php?lang=en

You can write your own review of the Quansheng TG-UV2.

KD7OQC Rating: 5/5 Mar 3, 2013 18:11 Send this review to a friend
Worth the Price.  Time owned: more than 12 months
Pros

- The dual watch feature functions exactly as I would expect, in contrast to the similar feature on my FT-60 that has too long of a delay.

- Dual frequency display and the ability to switch between two displayed frequencies with the press of the [Main] button.

- The 2000 maH LIon battery is excellent. It holds a charge when not in use, and when used often lasts a reasonably long time. (Why are Yaesu/Icom/Kenwood still shipping radios with 1100 to 1500 maH NiMH batteries!?)

- Being able to receive broadcast FM stations.

- The ability to program in FRS/GMRS frequencies.

- The little LED light is very handy. Yaesu/Icom/Kenwood should add this to future HTs.

- The drop-in charger works nicely.

Cons

- Unlike my FT-60, I cannot see exactly how many volts the battery produces during transmit, or what the battery voltage is at all. There is no real indication that the battery is becoming too weak for reliable, full-power transmission. The battery charge indicator is a tiny, 4 bar icon like you would find on the cell phone.

- As I said in my previous review, the build quality is adequate for the price, but this radio certainly wouldn't be my first choice for EMCOMM or when I really needed it. The plastic case and belt clip give you a pretty good clue about this. This is true of all of the Chinese radios I've seen.

- Lack of adequate environmental seals. There is no seal around the battery pack. The antenna has three seams for potential moisture intrusion.

- As I said previously, listening to FM is acceptable, but you pick up more digital squeal - like static from your body or clothing than any radio that I have ever heard.

- Programming is cumbersome at first.

- No DTMF.

- No Automatic Repeater Shift.

With all that said, they are worth the price because they have functionality that none of the big-3 radios have. My 8 year old has been using one for a year and half, and my wife has had the other. Nothing has broken on either radio yet.

I like these better than all of the other Chinese radios (Wouxun, Baofeng) that I have seen or used.

As long as you aren't expecting the build quality of a Vertex for under $100, I would definitely recommend them. They are worth the price. I think it is a 4/5 overall. (Since I gave it a 3/5 1-1/2 years ago, I'm giving it a 5/5 now.)

See my September 2011 review for a more detailed review.

KC9WVK Rating: 5/5 Feb 10, 2013 18:22 Send this review to a friend
Great Radio, Great Deal  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had these radios for over a year now, I ordered two of these and have had nothing but good reports, no troubles with either brand and if just monitoring can run them almost 24/7 before having to charge them again. As for programing them without a PC, if you can program a handheld scanner you can program these without much issue. The only thing I would have liked to see with the TG-UV2 is DTMF. I use these radios for both Amateur 70 centimeters 2 meters and GMRS.

KB4RIZ Rating: 4/5 Aug 15, 2012 19:31 Send this review to a friend
An Update!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
The radio itself is well built..and when it's working it is really good.. I think my previous review reflected a defective part of the package. At first I thought it might be the charger/cradle unit. The people I bought this from (Solidradio) have been amazing!! The guy actually shipped me a whole new charger, and it cost him 26 USD. Didn't charge me a dime! It didn't do the trick, so now I am beginning to think the battery is not taking the charge as the charger still only blinks red.

NOW Solidradio is shipping me a replacement battery, yet another charger, and a SPARE battery, and I was just asked to pay the shipping.

I know there have been mixed opinions on the Asian Companies selling these less expensive handhelds, but I can tell you I had a lot more trouble dealing with at least two of the "big 3" and these folks at Solidradio have been more than accommodating.

I still love my Motorola vintage radios..but I am most impressed with these folks.

KK4HNI Rating: 2/5 Jul 4, 2012 17:47 Send this review to a friend
Choose another radio  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
The battery life on this radio is superior, and when I have made contacts, I have had no complaints on the audio quality or signal. This would be a good backup radio if you could buy it for under $50.00.

To program this radio, the menus are way too deep--meaning that you have to press way too many keys to get to the function desired. AND, the onboard software is buggy. The exact same key combinations can produce different results at different times. I am good enough with programming to know when something is fritzing.

The computer-radio programming interface is laughable. Search for programming tips, and you will invariably find extensive conversations about keeping your computer from installing updates that will keep the computer/radio from recognizing the usb cable. You basically have to own a computer from 2001 that has been isolated since then to program this radio.

This terrible review could also be a bad review of the dealer from whom I purchased the radio. He sold me what I hope was the right cable, but gave me the wrong software (for Wouxun), and he was not able to resolve the software problem ever. After he kept promising to send it and didn't, over and over, and attempts to download the software from company links failed, I finally found some users on Yahoo groups with the correct software and downloaded there. It still didn't work, for reasons explained above.

I only mention the dealer because when I looked at reviews for this radio, he was one of the only ones who sold it, and was mentioned specifically in this thread. If you buy this radio, anywhere, from anyone, I would consider it essentially unsupported.

If you want an inexpensive Chinese radio, one that's not in the mainstream, choose TYT or Wouxun. Stay away from this one.

Also, if you would like to buy a Quansheng TG-UV2 with the original box, charger, manual, and a programming cable, let me know. :)

K6FBR Rating: 5/5 Jul 3, 2012 17:24 Send this review to a friend
Better than expected, great value!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I am a new ham and use this radio three different ways. In the car with a mag-mount, in the house with a whip, and trail running in my hydration vest with an external speaker/mic. It has not let me down yet. I can hit all of the repeaters that my friends hit with their high-priced HT's and mobiles. It is very sturdy and well built. I get excellent reports on my transmission quality with the internal mic as well as a couple of different external ones.

I also love the fact that because the jacks are the same as the Kenwood, I can use the SMC-34 speaker/mic with volume control while I'm running and not have to stop and get the unit out of the pack to make adjustments.

The main negative that I have seen others comment on is the memory programming. I will agree that doing the programming on the unit itself is a bit clumsy (though not as bad as some make it out to be). It is very easy to do using a computer. You need to buy a cable but the software is free. It takes a little patience to set up the first time and get the ports set up correctly but once you do, it is basically like filling in an excel spreadsheet and then writing it to the HT. Very straightforward. You can name your memory channels up to six characters.

One very minor fluke with the unit... There are two channel displays, top and bottom. For these, there are three display modes, frequency, channel number, and channel name. However, the name only works on the top display. When in name mode, the bottom shows the channel number. I contacted the manufacturer to see if this was a bug and they said that it was not. This is by design and they do not have plans to change it. Kind of stupid if you ask me but since everything else is so good, I'll live with it.

Again, for less than $100 you can have a really nice HT that keeps up with the big kids. Add a mag-mount antenna, speaker/mic, and cup-holder mount and you're ready for the road!

KC9VMZ Rating: 5/5 Mar 23, 2012 12:10 Send this review to a friend
Love my radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
After reading reviews from people here on the eham site, i decided to buy a Quansheng TG-UV2. While I waited for my radio, my boyfriends brother bought the wouxun for him and my boyfriend (for his birthday) We got ours a day apart (I got mine over seas so it took longer. So I got to play with his the first day. Let me tell you, You have to push this, and that then this to get that then scroll to set the channels the way they want to. i actually got frustrated with his. (now so you all know, I am a new amateur radio operator, got my license march 1st 2012 so very much a newbie) I was worried about getting mine. Now I did order mine overseas and I did order it with the software and cable (neither the software nor the cable worked) So I had to manually put our local channels in.. Guess what? First shot, WORKED .. WOW.. And had it stored well before the boyfriend and his brother which they been in this 10+ years. and they are icom and yaesu men. after 2 weeks, i dont think they have all their stations in it yet, where, I have them all programmed in. I feel its easier on the Quansheng than the wouxon. Now.. Boyfriends brother, wants to purchase Quanshengs like I have. I am very happy with my radio. I am sad that they didn't start out with a radio like mine and they spent DOUBLE on the radios they purchased (per one). So, I hope this helps any of u. Oh, and, I do learn something new about my radio daily. Not saying I am a pro at it, I am just saying is a lot easier to program manually than the Wouxon KG-UV3D for me. Well and for my boyfriend and his brother. I don't want to change anyones mind that wants the Wouxon, just having both radios infront of me, i found the Quansheng TG-UV2 alot easier. Hope to hear ya'all out there on the radio..

WA7KPK Rating: 5/5 Dec 12, 2011 11:51 Send this review to a friend
Very happy with this radio  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Me and my big mouth. I had promised my daughter that if she passed her Tech license test I would get her a HT - and she passed, of course. Unfortunately funds were a bit tight, and on top of all that I had just bricked my trusty 10-year-old Yaesu VX-5 (long clumsy story) - so I really needed TWO HTs.

With the money I had available I could get a VX-7 or something similar, or maybe I could buy a couple of used units. While looking around eBay to see what was available I found several dealers selling a brand I'd never heard of, Quansheng. The price for the TG-UV2 was amazingly low. Could a five-watt, 2m/440 HT with weather and FM reception selling for less than $100 be any good? The reviews here were quite positive, and several eBay merchants had twofer deals, so I swallowed hard, plopped down a couple hundred dollars, and waited.

I have to say the answer to the question above is an emphatic YES. I have been very pleased with my TG-UV2. The signal gets me into the repeaters I need to access, the audio quality is great, battery life is good, and if there's a drawback it's that there's a bit of a learning curve involved in figuring out how to set and program it. I sidestepped most of this by buying a programming cable (the same one Kenwoods use, apparently) and using my computer to set the frequencies I need and use on a regular basis.

My daughter (KE7YJT) and I took our TG-UV2s with us on a road trip last summer with a little mag-mount antenna and had consistently good reception and repeater access from Seattle to Pocatello. This is a good radio, and it's hard to beat the price.

KD0PGV Rating: 5/5 Dec 6, 2011 14:27 Send this review to a friend
we have a winner!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
At first I wasnít sure whether to get a hand-held Yaesu, Wouxun or Quansheng... in the end I picked the Quansheng TG-UV2 and havenít thought twice about my choice. This HT has recieved 8 months of heavy use in extreme weather conditions. I've had years of experience with Icom & Kenwood amateur and commercial radios and the Quansheng has the feel and performance of a commercial radio at a fraction of the cost of an amateur radio. I like the fact the squelch isn't a knob and is set with the function button. It works much better than the knob squelch on other HT radios and does a great job of rejecting unwanted static. At times this radio has better RX in my car than my mobile 2 meter with a mag mount antenna. Programming the radio manually isnít too difficult. Unfortunately getting the software to work on my computer was another story but once it was up and running I had no other issues. It does not have DTMF which I donít mind, less buttons to confuse you. I've hit repeaters 60 miles away from a hill top in Nebraska with clear audio (no joke) and I've talked about 10 miles so far on simplex with good RX and TX. I bought an external mic and currently use this radio for volunteer work at an excursion railroad. Amazing improvement over our very old Kenwood radios and the battery life is unbeatable. Only a few minor gripes with this radio: slow scan of programmed frequencies, itís stop then resume search on active frequencies and the color on a few of the buttons are wearing off due to heavy use. This radio does not have automatic offsets so you have to enter + or -. In conclusion this is the best price vs performance of a dual band HT.
-73's

WA3LWR Rating: 5/5 Nov 27, 2011 17:09 Send this review to a friend
Great deal  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Bought two dual band radios last winter. One from Quansheng and the other from another Chinese company. Both received well. But Quansheng had much better battery life, and far better transmit audio. Many hams mentioned how great the audio from Quansheng sounded. Manuals for both radios were poor, but theRe is a rapid learning curve. Other radio broke, shipped back to, China, at my expensive, ($40) and now they claim it was never received.

N5RNY Rating: 4/5 Nov 25, 2011 21:45 Send this review to a friend
fine radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Most all of the features/functions of the radio have been covered here, but for the record: This radio does NOT have cross-band repeat. It DOES have 'cross-band' rx/tx.

Which means it It will NOT automatically retransmit the incoming signal on one band, and out on the other band.

But the radio will listen to the top displayed frequency and then when the PTT button is pressed, it will transmit on the bottom displayed frequency. This could be useful for satellite operation or temporary odd splits such as SAR repeaters in the field.

To engage this you press the F key then the LED key (on the PTT side of the radio). You will see WX displayed which presumably means working cross band. This will not engage if the dual watch (DW) function is on. And when it is engaged the arrow indicating active display will first show the receive side. The other side (either top or bottom display) will be the transmit side. To disable the function, simply press F and then LED button again.

I hope this clears up some confusion.