Reviews Categories | Books/Manuals/Videos/Pod-WebCasts on ham radio | A Year of DX by W9KNI Help

Reviews Summary for A Year of DX by W9KNI
A Year of DX by W9KNI Reviews: 23 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $19.95
Description: Can a DX'er from a small town in southwest Oregon hope to compete in the Big Leagues of DX'ing? Bob Locher, W9KNI, author of the best selling DX Book ever, "The Complete DX'er", set out on a mission to prove it was possible. "A Year of DX" is Bob's personal account of the challenges, joys and sorrows in pursuit of the Holy Grail -- winning the CQ DX Marathon. Look over Bob's shoulder as he works country after country, yes, and missing a few along the way, but always trying to optimize his chances and the hope of logging the next one.

Mixed in is a wealth of other material, some dealing with equipment optimization, some thoughtful, some humorous. Anyone who enjoyed "The Complete DX'er" will surely be delighted with this book. 280 pages.
More info: http://www.hamsupply.com/books/

You can write your own review of the A Year of DX by W9KNI.

VK3HEX Rating: 5/5 Jul 19, 2014 05:40 Send this review to a friend
If you have a passion for DX, READ THIS BOOK!!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Do you know the feeling you get when you get hold of a book that you have to read slowly? Not because of any other reason but that you want it to last! You don't want the experience to end! This is such a book. I read it, couldn't put it down and it still gave me 'good shivers' the third time around!

If you have a passion for DX,indulge yourself, feed your passion and read this book!!

K0MD Rating: 5/5 Mar 9, 2014 11:29 Send this review to a friend
A Must Read for any Dxer!  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is a great read for any genre of reader - DXer, contester, HF ham or VHF only ham. It chronicles Bob's year long adventure and struggle (yes, even a Hall of Famer struggles!) at working as much DX as possible for the CQ DX Marathon competition. Typical Locher style - well written, full of suspense and lots of helpful tips and hints to any level of DXer - beginner, intermediate or advanced. It is like having your own DX tutor as you read along! Great tips on antenna designs, rig set up and amplifier choices. Well worth the price - a bargain! I have read it through several times - repeat reads are just as exciting and there is always something to learn.

W6UV Rating: 5/5 Feb 27, 2013 22:37 Send this review to a friend
A Great Read!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
My son got me a copy of Bob's latest book for Christmas and I couldn't put it down until I was finished reading it. The book has great build-up right to the end. I was really rooting for Bob to win right up to the final page.

Bob mixes the story of his pursuit of the CQ DX Marathon with chapters dedicated to technical topics related to Dxing. It all fits together very well.

My copy came personally inscribed and signed by Bob and it'll always have a place in my library right next to my copies of The Complete DX'er.

N4KW Rating: 5/5 Aug 22, 2011 13:21 Send this review to a friend
A great read, and a fun trip  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I really enjoyed this book, so much so that I tried to make it last longer by reducing my read time.

So much of what Bob was expressing I could relate too. If you enjoy looking around the bushes and behind the trees for the DX then you will really enjoy this trip. At times I felt like I was sitting next to him and we were both working all
the great DX that this wonderful book describes.
Wanting more I just ordered "The Complete DX'er"
73 Pete N4KW

W5GW Rating: 4/5 Jun 26, 2011 15:26 Send this review to a friend
Good, for advanced DX ops, Leaves us lowley ops in the dust.  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Initially I was going to give this a 3. But the writing style and operating tips gained were worth the read. As a limited DX operator who sometimes forgets how to setup a split on his transceiver, I felt this book was over my head 90% of the time. It was like going to my local DX Club meetiing in Austin TX. All the big guns have their inside lingo. There are probably better books aimed to the median crowd.

KB4MB Rating: 4/5 Oct 22, 2010 07:22 Send this review to a friend
Good, but not as good as The Complete DXer  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
The book was pretty good, but one criticism I have is Bob takes for granted you know every Call Prefix - he never writes in parantheses what country he is talking about, so you have no idea what he is trying to pounce on. I have no idea what all those south sea island calls are off the top of my head!

Also, towards the end, the hunt becomes a little boring, but that is the name of the game when you rank up the countries, towards the end it is just waiting for most of the time...

Other than that, the information is good, the writing style is very enjoyable, and I would recommend this book for anyone interested in learning from one of the best.

K3EL Rating: 5/5 Aug 9, 2010 17:05 Send this review to a friend
So good my XYL read it too!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I really enjoyed this book. Even better, my XYL enjoyed it too! The description of the year of DX is never too repetitive, since the goals and strategies constantly evolve as countries and zones are crossed off the list. Equipment and operating tips chapters help break up the chase as well.

W3ZV Rating: 5/5 Aug 9, 2010 14:37 Send this review to a friend
A great read.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought this book expecting a fairly detailed chronicle of Bob's Marathon quest. Well, I got that and much more. Bob's narrative includes a ton of useful information on what it takes to be a competitive DXer. His knowledge of practical propagation is amazing. He also includes some musings on Amateur Radio and DXing in general. There are fascinating chapters on technical subjects written by guest authors. Entertaining and instructive. What more could you want?

K7SZ Rating: 5/5 Jun 16, 2010 18:47 Send this review to a friend
Out Blood Standing, Mate!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Having a notebook full of Bob's articles from Ham Radio Horizons plus all three editions of his "The Complete DXer", I was anxious to procure a copy of "A Year of DX" from him at Dayton this year. Bob's unique writing style makes this a very quick read. While you're reading you are also absorbing much more DXing information that you might realize. Being at Bob's elbow while he works 289 DX entities plus 40 zones is a great learning experience. Bob's expertise working DX on the bands coupled with guest chapters by other DXers on mic audio processing, propagation, and a bit of Hugh Cassidy humor,(to name three) really rounds out this must-have tome. If you are an active DXer, a newcomer to DXing, or a member of the Honor Roll, "A Year of DX" has something for you.

W0VX Rating: 5/5 Jun 14, 2010 14:30 Send this review to a friend
Excellent  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Another great read from W9KNI. A Year of DX chronicles Bob's pursuit of the 2008 CQ DX Marathon award. Twelve chapter's covering DX pursued and worked each month of the year are interleaved with another dozen or so technical and perspective chapters. That mix provides the reader with an enjoyable blend of operating adventure and DXing advice.

Bob's writing style makes you feel as though you are sitting in the chair next to him as he chases another new one. The intensity that this year long marathon contest requires is apparent as he tries to work every country that is active during the year. All the effort paid off as W9KNI finished 2nd in 2008 and 1st in 2009.

Just as was the case with Bobís The Complete DXer, there are lots of tips and techniques exposed in this book. It is one of those books you just canít put down.