Reviews Categories | QRP Accessories | N8BX - Weighted VFO Knob For Elecraft Help

Reviews Summary for N8BX - Weighted VFO Knob For Elecraft
N8BX - Weighted VFO Knob For Elecraft Reviews: 45 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $$89
Description: The original K2 knob weighs in around 2 ounces. These premium USA made knobs weigh 6-1/2 ounces and they tune just wonderful. This knob is made of heavy alloy Steel and coated with a durable baked-on Black enamel or buffed bronze. The black goes great with the radio and feels nice in the hand. No sharp corners to irritate your hands.
Installation is easy and all hardware is Stainless Steel. Everything is CNC Machined from billet stock right here in the USA. The set screw that holds the knob in place is a flat tip style (no marring of your VFO shaft). Your satisfaction is 100% guaranteed 30 days or you may return it for a full refund.
Knob Specs:

Weight 6.5 Ounces, accepts 6mm diameter shaft, #6-32 set screw (use 1/16" Hex Key wrench also available for $2.00 additional).
More info: http://www.dtsohio.com/73cnc/elecraft.html

You can write your own review of the N8BX - Weighted VFO Knob For Elecraft.

K5REZ Rating: 5/5 Jul 19, 2014 19:14 Send this review to a friend
WOW!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Now THIS is a VFO KNOB! eHam reviews are accurate, his ebay reviews are accurate. You want a REAL VFO KNOB? WOW. Impressive, quality work.

M0TRN Rating: 5/5 Jun 17, 2014 15:06 Send this review to a friend
Improve the K3?!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Is it possible? Yes. The K3 can be improved. Although I already loved my rig, I was awestruck with the difference this set of new VFO A and B knobs makes. After a while you get a feel for just how much force you need to apply to scan the band at your preferred speed. After adjusting the resistance to your preference, you can basically touch and go, and scan some 50 kHz of the band with one precision stroke. At speed, it goes on and on and on, until you stop it, and at slower fine tuning pace, it goes exactly where you want it to go.

This is an awesome addon to an already amazing piece of kit. I love my K3 even more for this "after-market upgrade" and would recommend it to anyone, whether you're a casual op or seasoned DX'er or contester. Great work Fred, and thanks!

K8DSS Rating: 5/5 May 30, 2014 14:02 Send this review to a friend
Great feel  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Bought the Black VFO A Knob for the K3 after seeing one at my friend's house. Simple to install/adjust. The feel when tuning CW signals is perfect.

WZ1U Rating: 5/5 Jan 25, 2014 03:00 Send this review to a friend
Made in the USA !  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Well I'm sorry I purchased the new K3 black K3 VFO A knob with the ball-bearing dimple along with the VFO B knob...Why I say that, because I'm hooked and want to change the main VFO knobs on my ICOM 7600 and my Ten Tec Orion II, OMNI VII and Jupiter that I have now...That's how good these knobs are and makes all the difference in the world........I know some of the comments say its pricey, but you get what you pay for....If you want the best its going to cost...So try one out, I'm sure it won't be your last one you purchase.......

WX2S Rating: 5/5 Dec 27, 2013 19:53 Send this review to a friend
Much better than stock!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought the black K3 VFO A knob with the ball-bearing dimple and a K2 knob that Fred drilled out for the K3 VFO B. Tuning is now much faster and smoother than it was using the stock knobs. Fred's service was exceptional. Highly recommended.

AC6JA Rating: 5/5 Nov 19, 2013 18:21 Send this review to a friend
Wow!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought the original weighted knobs for my K2 and K3 when they first came out and they made a big difference from the stock knobs.
So when N8BX came out with the upgraded knobs with the ball bearing finger dimple, I jumped at the chance and ordered them for my K2, K3, and KX3!
This is truly what these radios needed!
The K3 is just a dream to slide up and down the band with that heavy VFO A knob with the ball bearing finger dimple.
The only downside I had was the VFO B knob is too small for my liking, especially if you have and use the second receiver.
Well, now N8BX offers a special-order K2 knob with the ball bearing finger dimple that will fit the K3 VFO B shaft! (It's not advertised, but he'll make it for you. Just ask!)
I received it today and this now completes my K3!
Now I have a heavily-weighted ball bearing finger dimple knob on both my VFO A and B knobs and it's just a dream to operate.
I highly recommend these knobs and can't imagine going back to the stock ones.

NB3R Rating: 5/5 Jul 31, 2013 05:00 Send this review to a friend
Very smooth. Easy to tune.  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I would describe the feeling of spinning the K3 VFO as "Sandy". It has a grainy feel to it. The N8BX weighted knob eliminated this feeling. Elecraft should sell these knobs. Yes they are expensive but worth the money. Easy to install. Buy the one with the ball bearing finger dimple.

K9RJ Rating: 5/5 Jul 27, 2013 18:29 Send this review to a friend
Very cool!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Having gotten used to chrome inserts on Drakes and Collins I felt my K3 looked a little drab. The N8BX Deluxe knobs are just right for good looks and weighted perfectly to spin up and down the bands. Very happy with the high quality and finish.

W5PVR Rating: 5/5 Jun 18, 2013 18:27 Send this review to a friend
Asking an operating question  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The question in my mind is, "How long will the encoder shaft bearing hold up under the added weight. Is this bearing brass or plastic ?.

K9AMP Rating: 5/5 Jun 18, 2013 15:17 Send this review to a friend
Nice addition to the K3  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've been considering these knobs since last year at Dayton, but decided the expense unnecessary.
This year I had funds left over from Dayton and decided to order them this time. I got the new K3 aluminum insert models. All I can say is I wish I had bought them last year. They really add some pizazz to the K3 looks. As for the tuning -- WOW! The finger dimple is very comfortable to use and the knob allows you to just glide across the band.
If you want to add some looks to your rig and some ease of tuning, give them a try. You won't be unhappy.