Reviews Categories | QRP Accessories | N8BX - Weighted VFO Knob For Elecraft Help

Reviews Summary for N8BX - Weighted VFO Knob For Elecraft
N8BX - Weighted VFO Knob For Elecraft Reviews: 51 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $$89
Description: The original K2 knob weighs in around 2 ounces. These premium USA made knobs weigh 6-1/2 ounces and they tune just wonderful. This knob is made of heavy alloy Steel and coated with a durable baked-on Black enamel or buffed bronze. The black goes great with the radio and feels nice in the hand. No sharp corners to irritate your hands.
Installation is easy and all hardware is Stainless Steel. Everything is CNC Machined from billet stock right here in the USA. The set screw that holds the knob in place is a flat tip style (no marring of your VFO shaft). Your satisfaction is 100% guaranteed 30 days or you may return it for a full refund.
Knob Specs:

Weight 6.5 Ounces, accepts 6mm diameter shaft, #6-32 set screw (use 1/16" Hex Key wrench also available for $2.00 additional).
More info: http://www.dtsohio.com/73cnc/elecraft.html

You can write your own review of the N8BX - Weighted VFO Knob For Elecraft.

KE6EE Rating: 5/5 Jan 23, 2015 12:48 Send this review to a friend
Excellent  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is actually a review of an alternative heavy knob for the K2. There is another such review a couple of reviews below this.

The alternative heavy knob looks almost identical except that the rotating finger dimple is chrome or brass. It's available on ebay and sold by AA9IV. Cost with shipping may be a bit lower than the N8BX/73cnc design.

The black finish on this knob is I think more matte (less glossy) than the N8BX. It weighs slightly more at 6.75 oz. It's made in Bulgaria which was the birthplace of AA9IV. It is very well machined of bronze rather than steel and nicely finished. It comes with an allen wrench.

It works just fine allowing one to spin smoothly across a band section.

W7BV Rating: 5/5 Jan 17, 2015 09:44 Send this review to a friend
Excellant but problem with KX3 SideKX  Time owned: more than 12 months
Excellent quality and really improves smooth tuning. Several are in use here on my K1, K2, KX1, and K3. Unfortunately, not usable on KX3 if equipped with SideKX and its lexan cover. It is too high as pointed out in review by DK1EY so the cover can not be closed. I returned mine and at the same time suggested to N8BX that he modify future KX3 knobs so they would work with the popular SideKX and cover.

K6SDW Rating: 5/5 Jan 14, 2015 07:06 Send this review to a friend
AA9IV knob - excellent!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I stumbled on to this new Elecraft K2 knob on eBay, made an offer which he accepted.

KOSTADIN must be a master machinist, his knob looks production-quality and fits perfect on my K2

I never knew what an improvement a weighted-knob would make over the original knob, my AA9IV's knob makes turning my K2 feel like one of the "big boy" $3k rigs!! HI HI

It also shows how cheezie the Elecraft knob is.

Cheers All

K7JBQ Rating: 5/5 Jan 13, 2015 20:27 Send this review to a friend
K2 knob works great on FT-900  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
The title says it all. If you have one of those great old Yaesu rigs, and want a whole new tuning experience, get one!

DK1EY Rating: 5/5 Jan 12, 2015 23:05 Send this review to a friend
Absolutely Great! Quality is outstanding.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Perfect addition for my KX3. I bought the ELECRAFT KX3 BLACK Weighted Tuning Knob with Ball Bearing Finger Dimple.

Sadly it is not possible to use the SideKX of http://gemsproducts.com/ due to the height of the weighted tuning knob.

I will sell the SideKX and stay with the tuning knob.

NC4AK Rating: 5/5 Jan 2, 2015 18:39 Send this review to a friend
A Very Nice Addition to the K3  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Like many others have said, these knobs are the real deal. They are constructed very well. They have a very nice feel to them. When I was researching these knobs, I had read where a couple other hams had installed the K2 weighted knob for VFO B and I decided to go this route as well. It is great to now have a larger knob for VFO B with a ball bearing dimple. If you are thinking about purchasing the K2 knob for your K3 and are curious how it fits, send me an email and I will reply with a picture. 73

K5REZ Rating: 5/5 Jul 19, 2014 19:14 Send this review to a friend
WOW!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Now THIS is a VFO KNOB! eHam reviews are accurate, his ebay reviews are accurate. You want a REAL VFO KNOB? WOW. Impressive, quality work.

M0TRN Rating: 5/5 Jun 17, 2014 15:06 Send this review to a friend
Improve the K3?!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Is it possible? Yes. The K3 can be improved. Although I already loved my rig, I was awestruck with the difference this set of new VFO A and B knobs makes. After a while you get a feel for just how much force you need to apply to scan the band at your preferred speed. After adjusting the resistance to your preference, you can basically touch and go, and scan some 50 kHz of the band with one precision stroke. At speed, it goes on and on and on, until you stop it, and at slower fine tuning pace, it goes exactly where you want it to go.

This is an awesome addon to an already amazing piece of kit. I love my K3 even more for this "after-market upgrade" and would recommend it to anyone, whether you're a casual op or seasoned DX'er or contester. Great work Fred, and thanks!

K8DSS Rating: 5/5 May 30, 2014 14:02 Send this review to a friend
Great feel  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Bought the Black VFO A Knob for the K3 after seeing one at my friend's house. Simple to install/adjust. The feel when tuning CW signals is perfect.

WZ1U Rating: 5/5 Jan 25, 2014 03:00 Send this review to a friend
Made in the USA !  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Well I'm sorry I purchased the new K3 black K3 VFO A knob with the ball-bearing dimple along with the VFO B knob...Why I say that, because I'm hooked and want to change the main VFO knobs on my ICOM 7600 and my Ten Tec Orion II, OMNI VII and Jupiter that I have now...That's how good these knobs are and makes all the difference in the world........I know some of the comments say its pricey, but you get what you pay for....If you want the best its going to cost...So try one out, I'm sure it won't be your last one you purchase.......