Reviews Categories | QRP Accessories | N8BX - Weighted VFO Knob For Elecraft Help

Reviews Summary for N8BX - Weighted VFO Knob For Elecraft
N8BX - Weighted VFO Knob For Elecraft Reviews: 52 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $$89
Description: The original K2 knob weighs in around 2 ounces. These premium USA made knobs weigh 6-1/2 ounces and they tune just wonderful. This knob is made of heavy alloy Steel and coated with a durable baked-on Black enamel or buffed bronze. The black goes great with the radio and feels nice in the hand. No sharp corners to irritate your hands.
Installation is easy and all hardware is Stainless Steel. Everything is CNC Machined from billet stock right here in the USA. The set screw that holds the knob in place is a flat tip style (no marring of your VFO shaft). Your satisfaction is 100% guaranteed 30 days or you may return it for a full refund.
Knob Specs:

Weight 6.5 Ounces, accepts 6mm diameter shaft, #6-32 set screw (use 1/16" Hex Key wrench also available for $2.00 additional).

You can write your own review of the N8BX - Weighted VFO Knob For Elecraft.

WZ1U Rating: 5/5 Jan 25, 2014 03:00 Send this review to a friend
Made in the USA !  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Well I'm sorry I purchased the new K3 black K3 VFO A knob with the ball-bearing dimple along with the VFO B knob...Why I say that, because I'm hooked and want to change the main VFO knobs on my ICOM 7600 and my Ten Tec Orion II, OMNI VII and Jupiter that I have now...That's how good these knobs are and makes all the difference in the world........I know some of the comments say its pricey, but you get what you pay for....If you want the best its going to cost...So try one out, I'm sure it won't be your last one you purchase.......
WX2S Rating: 5/5 Dec 27, 2013 19:53 Send this review to a friend
Much better than stock!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought the black K3 VFO A knob with the ball-bearing dimple and a K2 knob that Fred drilled out for the K3 VFO B. Tuning is now much faster and smoother than it was using the stock knobs. Fred's service was exceptional. Highly recommended.
AC6JA Rating: 5/5 Nov 19, 2013 18:21 Send this review to a friend
Wow!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought the original weighted knobs for my K2 and K3 when they first came out and they made a big difference from the stock knobs.
So when N8BX came out with the upgraded knobs with the ball bearing finger dimple, I jumped at the chance and ordered them for my K2, K3, and KX3!
This is truly what these radios needed!
The K3 is just a dream to slide up and down the band with that heavy VFO A knob with the ball bearing finger dimple.
The only downside I had was the VFO B knob is too small for my liking, especially if you have and use the second receiver.
Well, now N8BX offers a special-order K2 knob with the ball bearing finger dimple that will fit the K3 VFO B shaft! (It's not advertised, but he'll make it for you. Just ask!)
I received it today and this now completes my K3!
Now I have a heavily-weighted ball bearing finger dimple knob on both my VFO A and B knobs and it's just a dream to operate.
I highly recommend these knobs and can't imagine going back to the stock ones.
NB3R Rating: 5/5 Jul 31, 2013 05:00 Send this review to a friend
Very smooth. Easy to tune.  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I would describe the feeling of spinning the K3 VFO as "Sandy". It has a grainy feel to it. The N8BX weighted knob eliminated this feeling. Elecraft should sell these knobs. Yes they are expensive but worth the money. Easy to install. Buy the one with the ball bearing finger dimple.
K9RJ Rating: 5/5 Jul 27, 2013 18:29 Send this review to a friend
Very cool!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Having gotten used to chrome inserts on Drakes and Collins I felt my K3 looked a little drab. The N8BX Deluxe knobs are just right for good looks and weighted perfectly to spin up and down the bands. Very happy with the high quality and finish.
W5PVR Rating: 5/5 Jun 18, 2013 18:27 Send this review to a friend
Asking an operating question  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The question in my mind is, "How long will the encoder shaft bearing hold up under the added weight. Is this bearing brass or plastic ?.
K9AMP Rating: 5/5 Jun 18, 2013 15:17 Send this review to a friend
Nice addition to the K3  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've been considering these knobs since last year at Dayton, but decided the expense unnecessary.
This year I had funds left over from Dayton and decided to order them this time. I got the new K3 aluminum insert models. All I can say is I wish I had bought them last year. They really add some pizazz to the K3 looks. As for the tuning -- WOW! The finger dimple is very comfortable to use and the knob allows you to just glide across the band.
If you want to add some looks to your rig and some ease of tuning, give them a try. You won't be unhappy.
KM4D Rating: 5/5 Apr 22, 2013 16:03 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Product!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Purchased the ball bearing type knob for the K3.
All I can say is WOW..
Excellent product!
Excellent service.
Adds a totally different feel to the K3 not to mention the ball bearing type knob adds a touch of class to the already wonderful K3.
Yes, they are a little pricey but I have no plans of getting rid of the K3 anytime soon and you get what you pay for.
Sure wish these guys would make the same for the Ten Tec radio's.
Would highly recommend this product to anyone looking to add that special to the tuning around experience. 73!
K4RUR Rating: 5/5 Feb 28, 2013 07:20 Send this review to a friend
Very impressive part!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased the knob for my FTDX5000MP. I bought this item from N8BX on ebay. He shipped the item quickly and was a pleasure to deal with. Now to the review. He has a video showing how to replace the knob and rubber part. Good video and easy to follow and understand. I removed the factory knob, which required needle nose pliers on the allen wrench. When you remove the factory knob, there is a plastic piece between the knob and radio, make sure you keep that on the shaft. I put the knob on and it was very easy to adjust the tension after watching the video. Once it was all done and the rubber piece back on, it was time to give it a try. One thing I noticed when I got this from the mailbox was that it is heavy. And BOY what a difference it made on the radio! The finger part being able to rotate makes a huge difference and the whole piece makes the radio "feel" more substantial. I am happy with the purchase and the item and recommend buying one. It is a bit pricey was my initial thought, but it is worth every cent.
NK9N Rating: 5/5 Jan 21, 2013 17:10 Send this review to a friend
great on several fronts  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Just ordered one for K3 and it is fabulous! Feels like an old school rig, saves a few nanoseconds when tuning, and really makes it easier to fine tune a signal. Just ordered one for my FT5000. No affiliation.... just saw a post on the knob on Yahoo Groups and looked it up. Great addition to most radios.