Reviews Categories | QRP Accessories | N8BX - Weighted VFO Knob For Elecraft Help

Reviews Summary for N8BX - Weighted VFO Knob For Elecraft
N8BX - Weighted VFO Knob For Elecraft Reviews: 51 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $$89
Description: The original K2 knob weighs in around 2 ounces. These premium USA made knobs weigh 6-1/2 ounces and they tune just wonderful. This knob is made of heavy alloy Steel and coated with a durable baked-on Black enamel or buffed bronze. The black goes great with the radio and feels nice in the hand. No sharp corners to irritate your hands.
Installation is easy and all hardware is Stainless Steel. Everything is CNC Machined from billet stock right here in the USA. The set screw that holds the knob in place is a flat tip style (no marring of your VFO shaft). Your satisfaction is 100% guaranteed 30 days or you may return it for a full refund.
Knob Specs:

Weight 6.5 Ounces, accepts 6mm diameter shaft, #6-32 set screw (use 1/16" Hex Key wrench also available for $2.00 additional).
More info: http://www.dtsohio.com/73cnc/elecraft.html

You can write your own review of the N8BX - Weighted VFO Knob For Elecraft.

W7LRY Rating: 5/5 Dec 17, 2012 17:54 Send this review to a friend
OUTSTANDING  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have been looking at the 73cnc tuning knobs for a long time and when they came out with the new Elecraft K3 tuning knobs with the ball bearing finger dimple I decided to take a chance and try it. I am sure happy I made the purchase.
The quality and service is excellent. I found the best adjustment is to have the main tuning knob drag as light as you can get it but tight enough that it stays stopped when it finishes spinning. With the extra weight of the knob I can give it a small push and it just glides across the band very smooth. With proper adjustment it really does make crusing across the band much easier. It's like having a pan adaptor, you can get by without it but when you get the knobs it makes you wonder how you got by without them. I weighed them on the postal scales and the stock main tuning knob is 3.5 oz. and the 73cnc is 12.7 oz. The stock sub receiver knob is 1.5 oz and the 73cnc is 3.5 oz.

WW4JF Rating: 5/5 Dec 1, 2012 15:59 Send this review to a friend
A really nice feel!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
With my hefty digits and broad hand, I really appreciated the change. I noticed an immediate and welcome improvement.

K2WO Rating: 5/5 Jun 18, 2012 05:27 Send this review to a friend
The Best!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I purchased the original set for my K3 at Dayton 2 years ago when Fred introduced them. They were great. Now he introduced the deluxe model at Dayton this year, with the ball-bearing "finger dimple" and the silver trim. They are fantastic and as others have said, have to be experienced to understand how good they are. The quality and workmanship is exceptional. Get one, you will be VERY happy. Besides that, Fred is truly a nice guy to deal with.

N1LQ Rating: 5/5 Jun 17, 2012 18:44 Send this review to a friend
Form and Funciton Meet on the K3 Front Panel  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased my first N8BX weighted knobs for the K3 at Dayton two years ago. They are amazing.

When I went past Fred's table this year, I saw his new K3 knobs and they were in a word... exquisite. I couldn't resist. K3 Jewelry.

They have to be seen and used to be fully appreciated. One try and you won't go back.

An added bonus for me was the excellent customer service that Fred provided in adjusting a small matter for me after getting it home from Dayton.

His service (and tolerance of my finickiness) ranks him right up there with the service standards of Elecraft.

Thanks Fred.

Go ahead...get a set!

M0SAZ Rating: 5/5 Jun 12, 2012 18:51 Send this review to a friend
Warning - you will want to stay operating!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Quite an investment perhaps, but one that once you have the item up close and in your hand, you won't regret a single cent!

I bought the weighted tuning knob for my FT-950 and I have to say, what a marvellous piece of workmanship - made how things should be/used to be made.

The knob fits perfectly and you would never know it was after market. If I have to use an FT-950 without this enhancement from now on, I will really not feel right.

We need more well engineered products in ham radio. Not everyone wants to have the cheapest, built to a price components - I am one of them.

Delivery to the UK was 9 days - excellent service!

I have uploaded some images of the knob on the FT-950 Yahoo group photos section - just look for my callsign.

WB4OOA Rating: 5/5 Jun 1, 2012 17:00 Send this review to a friend
Excellent K3 upgrade  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Highest quality Knobs I have ever seen. They give my K3 a look and feel of the old Collins S-Line.
I love the ball bearing Finger dimple.

PA1HR Rating: 5/5 May 30, 2012 09:38 Send this review to a friend
This is a 'must have'!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
In Dayton I bought such a weighted tuningknob for the FTdx5000d. What a hughe difference with the original tuningknob from Yaesu.

The tuning is much more pleasant and easy, even with 1 Hz tuning!

This is a *must have* option for your rig!

Excellent and solid quality.

Thanks!

K6SBA Rating: 5/5 May 24, 2012 20:49 Send this review to a friend
A beautiful Indulgence  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
OK, you don't need these knobs, but they are a wonderful luxury. 73CNC has introduced their new version of the Elecraft K3 VFO-A and VFO-B knobs, which are even better than the original product. For a while these were available at an introductory price somewhat less than "retail" price. These are a wonderful enhancement to the K3. It is great to see craftsmen applying their skills to produce after-market products for amateur radio. How many quality handcrafted items can you purchase anymore?
The silky smooth operation of these new knobs are a real treat. If you have a little spare cash (and you have already made contributions to worthy charities) you will be pleased if you treat yourself to these custom K3 knobs. I sure am.

73 de K6SBA
David in Santa Barbara, CA

K7ERQ Rating: 5/5 Feb 29, 2012 04:46 Send this review to a friend
OUTSTANDING!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Wonderful addition to my K3. Adds to the pleasure of operating the Main tuning and really helps on the Second receiver. Excellent communications after my order was entered. Quick shipping and excellent packaging. If you own a K3, you will want to add these weighted tuning knobs to you rig. I use the BRASS type, a real FIRST CLASS addition to the station. Sharp!

K8PAW Rating: 5/5 Jan 31, 2012 21:30 Send this review to a friend
N8BX Weighted Knobs  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
First off, Fred's service is excellent, so have no fear on that front.

When I first heard about these, I was uncertain about risking the cost on an untested product. The reviews here pushed me over the edge, and I am glad they did.

Fit and finish is first rate. The powder coat on my set seems likely to last a lifetime. My only complaint: the balance on my set wasn't quite perfect, so they took quite a bit of adjusting to get them to spin and stop when I wanted them to. These are still entirely worth buying- once I got the tension against the felt right, they spin with authority.

I liked the K3 before...it is now vastly improved as a hand tool.