Reviews Categories | QRP Accessories | N8BX - Weighted VFO Knob For Elecraft Help

Reviews Summary for N8BX - Weighted VFO Knob For Elecraft
N8BX - Weighted VFO Knob For Elecraft Reviews: 45 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $$89
Description: The original K2 knob weighs in around 2 ounces. These premium USA made knobs weigh 6-1/2 ounces and they tune just wonderful. This knob is made of heavy alloy Steel and coated with a durable baked-on Black enamel or buffed bronze. The black goes great with the radio and feels nice in the hand. No sharp corners to irritate your hands.
Installation is easy and all hardware is Stainless Steel. Everything is CNC Machined from billet stock right here in the USA. The set screw that holds the knob in place is a flat tip style (no marring of your VFO shaft). Your satisfaction is 100% guaranteed 30 days or you may return it for a full refund.
Knob Specs:

Weight 6.5 Ounces, accepts 6mm diameter shaft, #6-32 set screw (use 1/16" Hex Key wrench also available for $2.00 additional).
More info: http://www.dtsohio.com/73cnc/elecraft.html

You can write your own review of the N8BX - Weighted VFO Knob For Elecraft.

PA1HR Rating: 5/5 May 30, 2012 09:38 Send this review to a friend
This is a 'must have'!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
In Dayton I bought such a weighted tuningknob for the FTdx5000d. What a hughe difference with the original tuningknob from Yaesu.

The tuning is much more pleasant and easy, even with 1 Hz tuning!

This is a *must have* option for your rig!

Excellent and solid quality.

Thanks!

K6SBA Rating: 5/5 May 24, 2012 20:49 Send this review to a friend
A beautiful Indulgence  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
OK, you don't need these knobs, but they are a wonderful luxury. 73CNC has introduced their new version of the Elecraft K3 VFO-A and VFO-B knobs, which are even better than the original product. For a while these were available at an introductory price somewhat less than "retail" price. These are a wonderful enhancement to the K3. It is great to see craftsmen applying their skills to produce after-market products for amateur radio. How many quality handcrafted items can you purchase anymore?
The silky smooth operation of these new knobs are a real treat. If you have a little spare cash (and you have already made contributions to worthy charities) you will be pleased if you treat yourself to these custom K3 knobs. I sure am.

73 de K6SBA
David in Santa Barbara, CA

K7ERQ Rating: 5/5 Feb 29, 2012 04:46 Send this review to a friend
OUTSTANDING!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Wonderful addition to my K3. Adds to the pleasure of operating the Main tuning and really helps on the Second receiver. Excellent communications after my order was entered. Quick shipping and excellent packaging. If you own a K3, you will want to add these weighted tuning knobs to you rig. I use the BRASS type, a real FIRST CLASS addition to the station. Sharp!

K8PAW Rating: 5/5 Jan 31, 2012 21:30 Send this review to a friend
N8BX Weighted Knobs  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
First off, Fred's service is excellent, so have no fear on that front.

When I first heard about these, I was uncertain about risking the cost on an untested product. The reviews here pushed me over the edge, and I am glad they did.

Fit and finish is first rate. The powder coat on my set seems likely to last a lifetime. My only complaint: the balance on my set wasn't quite perfect, so they took quite a bit of adjusting to get them to spin and stop when I wanted them to. These are still entirely worth buying- once I got the tension against the felt right, they spin with authority.

I liked the K3 before...it is now vastly improved as a hand tool.

W6XR Rating: 5/5 Jan 2, 2012 17:27 Send this review to a friend
Excellent addition for K3  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I'm allways impressed when someone can make such an improvement to a radio, using a square of metal, one that is then machined to look and feel like a work of art. The feel while tuning my new K3 has a real quality fell to it, a big improvement over the plastic, troublesome spinner knobs provided as standard. This addition gives the K3 a feeling not unlike some of my old boat anchor 75A4 with spinner knob or my R390A. This new metal knobs are worth every cent because of the new feel the rig now has. Well worth the additional expense.

Natan W6XR, C6AXR

WB2LQF Rating: 5/5 Dec 30, 2011 19:19 Send this review to a friend
The Major Interface Between Machine and Man  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have brass knobs on my K1, K2, and K3. I'd have them on my KX1 and (just ordered) KX3 if they were only available!! Why? Because there are two things that are of overarching importance to the serious CW QRP operator -- the tuning knob and the key. For the key, Begali wins hands down for paddles; Frattini takes the prize for his bugs. At least in my opinion. But when it comes to the tuning knob - the control that we *fiddle* with more than any other knob on the radio -- well, these heavy brass jobs add immeasurable pleasure to each night's operating! If I can spend mucho bucks on a superb Elecraft product, I can figure out a way to find an extra couple bucks to acquire the elegant look and incredibly smooth and satisfying performance that these brass knobs provide. I was very skeptical when I purchased my K2 (the first) knob. Upon its arrival I really was blown away by the difference between the stock knob and the brass version. It made the K2 feel totally different. I went through the same questioning process when I bought one for my K1 which has a wirewound pot instead of an encoder. I wondered how the brass knob would work out. Well, it *totally* changed the feel of the K1 by mitigating the scratchiness of the wirewound pot by overwhelming it with that certain "weight and substantive feel" thatis hard to describe but "you'll know it when you feel it." So it was a no-brainer to order the K3 set ( main and sub ). Am I crazy? That's a judgment call. I think not; I'm just a ham who enjoys the hobby and has an affinity for *real quality* -- something that's not so easy to come by these days.

JA7DHJ Rating: 5/5 Dec 20, 2011 19:43 Send this review to a friend
The K1 Knob for Elecraft is great!!  Time owned: months
I purchased knob for my K1.The knob is precision made and the feel is great.Shipping was fast.Thanks!!

KE2WY Rating: 5/5 Dec 16, 2011 13:17 Send this review to a friend
Excelent addition for K2  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have been a K2 owner for several years. I operate almost exclusively CW, hunting DX and contests. I do a lot of tuning. The N8BX knob has significantly upgraded the K2. The cosmetics are nice, yet as far as I'm concerned, the improved operational "feel" under constant use is the outstanding merit of this knob. The knob will spin smoothly, covering significant portions of a band. Then, for close-in tuning, there's a steadiness and precision that makes small adjustments a delight. Initially, I had a hard time justifying the expense just for a "knob." Now, I would not consider the K2 complete without it.

W0UCE Rating: 5/5 Dec 1, 2011 18:24 Send this review to a friend
Amazing - What a difference they make...  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Wow... What a difference Fred's weighted VFO A & B knobs make. Now tuning is smooth as silk with the weighted knobs and they add an ergonomic touch of class to an already great rig.

N3ND Rating: 5/5 Nov 17, 2011 11:56 Send this review to a friend
K3 Version - Superb  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
An unbelievable gift from my best friend, I am the recipient of a set of N8BX's Weighted Knobs for the K3. These knobs do final justice to the feel of an already outstanding electronically designed transceiver. Wow.