Reviews Categories | Antennas: VHF/UHF+ Directional (Yagi, quad, etc.) | Hy-Gain DB-218SAT Oscar Satellite Antenna Kit Help

Reviews Summary for Hy-Gain DB-218SAT Oscar Satellite Antenna Kit
Hy-Gain DB-218SAT Oscar Satellite Antenna Kit Reviews: 4 Average rating: 2.0/5 MSRP: $559.95
Description: Oscar Link Antenna System
30-Element , 70 cm. Crossed Yagi Beam
16-Element , 2 meter Crossed Yagi beam
LHCP/RHCP Switches
5 Foot Fiberglass Boom
All Stainless Steel Harware
More info: http://www.hy-gain.com/Product.php?productid=DB-218SAT

You can write your own review of the Hy-Gain DB-218SAT Oscar Satellite Antenna Kit.

VE6ND Rating: 4/5 Nov 24, 2016 15:48 Send this review to a friend
Okay after mods  Time owned: more than 12 months
Hi!!
Here I am again, note; the phasing harness lengths are INCORRECT as the antenna comes from the factory. Both harnesses are 1/2 wave, this does not produce a 90 degree phase shift! If, If you want to change the antenna get rid of that dipole mishmash adjusting bars and put in proper folded dipoles or a T match with baluns. Remember, to get the proper phase shift you have to have one phasing cable at 1/4 wavelength and the other at 3/4 wavelength. Ditch the L/R relay and get a decent one.

Glenn, VE6ND

VE6ND Rating: 4/5 Sep 30, 2015 21:30 Send this review to a friend
Good overall design  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Not sure why MFJ changed the balun assembly however it is still the same, sort of.
My SWR is 1.4:1 at 435.900 which is pretty good.
What I found from some people (complaining the swr is crap) is that there is a very thin film of plastic on the beta arms and if you don't remove this or look for it the SWR will be horrible.
My antenna went together in a few hours, I took my time.
The balun design looks like it was made in your basement and my yellow set of uhf elements were not there. Instead another set of brown elements, I had the rod and cut two for the antenna.
I was not really pissed but come on, quality control! This was a new purchase from old stock cerca 2009.
So far I have put 100 watts through the antenna and the swr stayed the same, the RF out was the same.
It is a nice looking antenna when finished.
Why MFJ changed the balun design is beyond me but they should have stayed with Hy-Gain.

NM5SD Rating: 0/5 Oct 15, 2012 12:52 Send this review to a friend
Don't even THINK about it!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Let me echo VA3OT's recommendation to avoid this antenna system. I put them together a year ago and about 8 months ago I broke the 2 M matching section. The solder lugs pulled out of the potting compound. I called Hy-Gain and ordered a new one. The representative said "I don't have any in stock and it'll take me a couple of months to make one." Sure enough, it took two months to get the part. When I mounted it the solder lugs pulled out! Aarggh! I called Hy-Gain and told the guy what happened. He said "Send it back to me with a note about what's wrong. It'll take me a couple of months to make one for you." Aarggh! Two months later the thing came. THIS time I epoxied the heck out of the solder lugs...LOTS of epoxy. About an hour ago I went out and mounted it. The cables were too short to mount it. Am I going to call Hy-Gain again? Not only no, but hell no!! I'm now going to Google "How to make a lamp out of a Hy-Gain DB-218SAT"

Steve, NM5SD

VA3OT Rating: 0/5 Apr 27, 2010 06:04 Send this review to a friend
Best advise I can give is to avoid this product ,  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Poorly made antenna package , of which not all the metal parts are Stainless Steel as advertized. Parts fit, and hole placement on the booms is a joke , a blind monkey with a drill gun could do better.
The SWR match is no better then 2.1:1 .
Don`t expect much help from Hy-Gain / MFJ .
You`ll windup with a useless pile of aluminum.
Searching for help revealed this link..