Reviews Categories | Interfaces, Radio to computer, amp, rotor, coax switch, internet | Remoterig RRC-1258MkII Help

Reviews Summary for Remoterig RRC-1258MkII
Remoterig RRC-1258MkII Reviews: 24 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $449
Description: End to end complete control of many popular HF trasceivers over the internet without the need for a computer at either the Radio or Remote Control end.
More info: http://www.remoterig.com

You can write your own review of the Remoterig RRC-1258MkII.

VA3MW Rating: 5/5 May 11, 2014 05:44 Send this review to a friend
Update   Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had my remote rig in place for years now. I run a TS480 and a full contest station built around this one device. I also go for 6 months at a time without being able to make it to my remote base. That means I needed a device that would 'just work' and this is one of those devices.

While not plug and play, the initial setup only took a few hours and the TS480 continues to be the best radio for the price for this setup.

The support has been fine and I often get a response within a day from either the Forum or direct emailing to RemoteRig.

I have run many contests on this with an minimal cable internet connection (5M down and 600kps up). You can see some screen shots at my QRZ page and how I control my entire station. If you couple this with RemoteQTH, you have one heck of a station.

VE7IG Rating: 5/5 Feb 3, 2014 20:35 Send this review to a friend
Really Excellent!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I've been using these 2 boxes since September 2013 in a TS480SAT remote station located 4000 miles from the home QTH and they have worked flawlessly. I also use the webswitch from the same company to switch power on and off and reset units if necessary. There was one glitch involving the webswitch and the webswitch name
server at Microbit but that resolved itself eventually.

I originally purchased these units in the early summer of 2013 and set them up at home before taking them to the remote site.

There are two serial ports that allow operation of remote control programs. I'm using an Elecraft KPA500 amplifier control program through one and the companion KAT500 auto tuner control program through the other. No further serial ports are necessary unless you have other remote programs or want to use a program like Ham Radio Deluxe.

I won't spend time here on the setup as many have elaborated on that already. If you follow the detailed instructions in the online manual correctly there should be no problem. What gave me the biggest headache were the crippled modems and routers supplied by the ISP. I had to go through 4 of them before one let me disable DHCP in it and use it as a straight through modem and could port forward through it from a DLink 625 router.

The convenience of not having to use a computer at the far end, the internal keyer with buffer that removes latency problems and the good audio make these boxes the best way to go.

A computer is necessary at the control location if you need to run remote control programs but not at the remote site.

Anyone interested can see pictures of the three antennas used at the remote site. The Elecraft KAT500 will switch 3 antennas internally via the remote program. Go to QRZ.com and check out VE1DXA.

The Remoterig RCC-1258MkII boxes have made my TS480SAT remote station possible. There are versions available for many other radios. Don't even hesitate if you are considering setting up your own remote.

VE7IG Rating: 5/5 Feb 2, 2014 12:31 Send this review to a friend
Really Excellent!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
server at Microbit but that resolved itself eventually.

I originally purchased these units in the early summer of 1963 and set them up at home before taking them to the remote site.

NN5O Rating: 2/5 Jan 30, 2014 22:34 Send this review to a friend
Boot Camp Windows a no go  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I had hoped to use my nifty Remote Rig Micro dongle using a large sector of my MacBook Air which has W7 installed and operating as a PC. No luck. When I install the Micro in the USB slot, I get an error message "INVALID TRIAL REGISTRATION". So, the home country server at Remote Rig does not recognize its own paid for device. I have repeatedly contacted the RR folks with no luck, other than we will get to it one day. So, stay away if you have a Mac.

KQ0C Rating: 5/5 Nov 13, 2013 11:14 Send this review to a friend
Works Great  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have the 1258 control and remote radio boxes as well as several other Remote Rig accessories (the USB dongle, the antenna switch and the web switch rotor controller). Everything works perfectly. It does take some attention to detail to get all the settings right for both your radio and your internet connections. But there is a good documentation, an active support forum and great support from the manufacturer. Basically just get everything working when it is all in the same room but connected over your local network (LAN)... then move the remote radio to its true remote location and make one change in settings to incorporate the new address for the remote radio.

You can use almost any radio, but after trying a few I strongly recommend the Kenwood TS-590 if you are buying one for remote. The free Kenwood control program lets me run this radio as if it were on my desk... and does so way better than HRD.

I gain about 4 S-units between my home deep in a valley and my remote location on a hilltop. So the cost of the remote gear is pretty easily justified. This is perfect for anyone with a poor radio location or limits on what antennas you can put up at home.

W4YB Rating: 5/5 Sep 2, 2013 13:34 Send this review to a friend
works great  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Remoterig works great. It does take some knowledge of routers, etc and I did need some help with this. HRO help me set it up in a few minutes. I use it with my IC 706. It takes time and patience to make the special cable from the IC separation cable but it works almost like being at the radio. The latency is really not noticeable if you have a great internet connection. They continue to come out with new accessories which makes it more and more like being there in your shack. The one problem which is not major is that it comes from Sweden. However, the guys at HRO, especially Josh, is really knowledgeable enough to be very helpful or he can get the answer for you. I'm working now on getting a web power switch for the central power supply and the amp. I have really enjoyed it traveling since it doesn't mean you have to take a ton of equipment with you. They have software out now that takes the place of the remote unit and you can take only your computer and a good router. I use the Pepwave surf 3gand4g router which goes through a hotspot on my iphone. Most of the motels and hotels will work but occasionally it doesn't. With the hotspot you can operate anywhere there is phone service. All in all I think it is a quality product and would highly recommend it.

N5VGK Rating: 1/5 Aug 24, 2013 08:35 Send this review to a friend
power failure x 2  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
This is the SECOND one of these that has quit working. No LED for power and the host unit won't work. This unit is less than year old and has been on shelf for 4 months. I pulled it off shelf to connect today and the remote one comes on but the host won't. No activity. I just spent money to buy 2nd one. I will not do this again.

I have been to remoterig.com and cannot find way to contact them via Internet.

I am not happy camper.

KB8BWE Rating: 5/5 May 9, 2013 08:00 Send this review to a friend
Works fantastic w/IC706!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have set up the boxes to work with my Icom 7410 using CI-V control and HRD, as well as my current configuration with the remote head of the IC-706. Both worked flawlessly. I prefer having the control head with me (guess I'm a knob turner) when operating. There is no discernable difference between being at the rig, or operating remotely with the RemoteRig. This solves my HOA problems at my Florida condo, where I got chewed out for having a 26 AWG end-fed wire off my balcony. :-)

I have operated from a hotel using a wifi connection on my notebook (using Windows ICS - Internet connection sharing, and a crossover ethernet cable to the RRC box) with great success.

Most important to me, a devoted CW OP, is the ability to run paddle CW from the remote end. the RRC blocks the sidetone audio from the rig while transmitting, and supplies it's own keyer circuitry and sidetone on the remote RRC box. Even at speeds of 30+WPM, there has been no problem using it.

I am intrigued also by their "Micro" dongle unit, which allows you to use a notebook computer with the dongle to access the home RRC box using HRD (or other control program) to control the radio functions. The audio is top rate. In short, RemoteRig makes a quality system for the remote operation.

WA6DIL Rating: 5/5 Mar 22, 2013 19:06 Send this review to a friend
Fantastic Remote !  Time owned: more than 12 months
I'm using the RemoteRig with a TS-480HX, an LDG 200 watt auto tuner, and wire antennas at my home QTH in Sparks, NV. It is nothing short of incredible. I bring the faceplate of my TS-480, the RemoteRig control box, wall wart, and a mike and I'm on the air. The included CW keyer works great, and any Internet latency is a non-issue with its buffering. The built-in speaker in the TS-480 faceplate is more than adequate for use.

I won't say it was plug and play, as there is a bit of cable modem/router port opening configuration required, but after it is set up you just turn on the radio from the faceplate just like you were home.

When on the road without an Internet connection, I've used my iPhone 4S as a hot spot, and using a $50 Netgear Wireless Bridge I get excellent results and audio reports just using Verizon 3G service.

Tech support from Microbit and also RemoteRig guru, Mitch DJ0UN is excellent.

Highly recommended. 73, Dave WA6DIL

K2DER Rating: 5/5 Dec 30, 2012 04:04 Send this review to a friend
Great Product!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
With the kenwood TS480SAT is a very good combo, It took very little time to setup, and it works Great! good audio report, I'm recomend 100%