Reviews Categories | Interfaces, Radio to computer, amp, rotor, coax switch, internet | Remoterig RRC-1258MkII Help

Reviews Summary for Remoterig RRC-1258MkII
Remoterig RRC-1258MkII Reviews: 27 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $449
Description: End to end complete control of many popular HF trasceivers over the internet without the need for a computer at either the Radio or Remote Control end.
More info: http://www.remoterig.com

You can write your own review of the Remoterig RRC-1258MkII.

GW3YDX Rating: 5/5 Aug 26, 2016 11:59 Send this review to a friend
Great product, great support  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I had trouble setting up the units, due to the "touch of death" that accompanies all my involvements with IT gear, but Mike at RemoteRig was absolutely golden with his assistance. As others have remarked, "does this guy ever stop support, even out of hours ?" I have NO IDEA why another reviewer said Mike was difficult to contact. He must have got something wrong, as I had about 20 mails to and from Mike, and at the end of it all I had my IC7100 control head in the South of France talking to the radio end in GW. Unfortunately the internet speed down here is absolutely grim. The RemoteRig boxes work fine after midnight and before 0730 French time. Outside that - forget it. There simply isnt enough bandwidth for a reliable link, and despite using Mikes suggestions for changing the settings for poor internet links, I have reluctantly accepted that until France Telecom get their ass in gear, remote wont work from here during the hours when most of us are awake and QRV. No fault of the RemoteRig boxes and no fault in Mike's support, which as been truly fantastic. For 20 years I ran my own ham business (Vine Antennas) and know that support is a zero-profit time-gobbler. There as never the slightest sign of any reluctance from Mike to help me fast, despite my reluctance to read the manual ! Buy with confidence, but be sure you have the internet to support remote before going down that road.

73 Ron GW3YDX

VE7EPP Rating: 5/5 Mar 1, 2016 23:52 Send this review to a friend
RemoteRig with Flex 5000 Working Great  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
It took a while to setup but it is finally setup and working. I used it to setup a remote station at my QTH for a friend. It is working fine with the Flex 5000. We had to make a mic cable connector after we chose the radio jumper settings inside the Radio RemoteRig box. Not too difficult but we got it done and he is happy to be back on the air after moving to a place where he can't put up an antenna.

KE5BM Rating: 5/5 Jan 4, 2015 06:16 Send this review to a friend
Does the Job!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I was recently transferred to a location that required me to live in a house that is under the shadow of the NASA Wallops Island RF Quiet Zone. Lucky for me, I have understanding family in the area that allowed me to install a radio at their house so I could connect to it remotely.

After reading countless articles on how some had used various combinations of software for rig control with software for VoIP that seemed quite complex and unreliable, I decided to spend the money for the full RemoteRig setup. I figured when all was said and done, the cost would be about the same.

My setup is with a Kenwood TS-2000 so I decided to purchase the RC-2000 remote head unit to keep at the operating location to make manipulation of the radio easier than it otherwise would have been using the HRD suite alone.

Initial setup was, admittedly a pain. It certainly requires a level of knowledge in IP addressing and manipulation, LAN/WAN Router configuration, etc. In my case, there were a few minor issues that the configuration instructions did not adequately cover. However, a short email to the manufacturer and they provided additional instructions that had me up and running.
I highly recommend having a neighbor or ham radio buddy that lives close by help you out with configuration and testing prior to moving your remote system to it's site. I have a ham that lives next door to me and I was able to put my remote setup on his LAN so that I could do adequate testing before moving it. That helped immensely!

Once installed at it's final location I conducted testing (again with my ham radio neighbor) and noted almost zero lag (on a 1.5MBps DSL connection) and full control of the radio. The lag is so short, in fact that it's unnoticeable at the operating position and is capable of running time-sensitive modes like JT65!

Overall I'm very happy with this system as it has allowed me the ability to operate from the comfort of my home without transmitting from my home. If you need to make a remote install, I would highly recommend that you take a good look at this setup!

VA3MW Rating: 5/5 May 11, 2014 05:44 Send this review to a friend
Update   Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had my remote rig in place for years now. I run a TS480 and a full contest station built around this one device. I also go for 6 months at a time without being able to make it to my remote base. That means I needed a device that would 'just work' and this is one of those devices.

While not plug and play, the initial setup only took a few hours and the TS480 continues to be the best radio for the price for this setup.

The support has been fine and I often get a response within a day from either the Forum or direct emailing to RemoteRig.

I have run many contests on this with an minimal cable internet connection (5M down and 600kps up). You can see some screen shots at my QRZ page and how I control my entire station. If you couple this with RemoteQTH, you have one heck of a station.

VE7IG Rating: 5/5 Feb 3, 2014 20:35 Send this review to a friend
Really Excellent!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I've been using these 2 boxes since September 2013 in a TS480SAT remote station located 4000 miles from the home QTH and they have worked flawlessly. I also use the webswitch from the same company to switch power on and off and reset units if necessary. There was one glitch involving the webswitch and the webswitch name
server at Microbit but that resolved itself eventually.

I originally purchased these units in the early summer of 2013 and set them up at home before taking them to the remote site.

There are two serial ports that allow operation of remote control programs. I'm using an Elecraft KPA500 amplifier control program through one and the companion KAT500 auto tuner control program through the other. No further serial ports are necessary unless you have other remote programs or want to use a program like Ham Radio Deluxe.

I won't spend time here on the setup as many have elaborated on that already. If you follow the detailed instructions in the online manual correctly there should be no problem. What gave me the biggest headache were the crippled modems and routers supplied by the ISP. I had to go through 4 of them before one let me disable DHCP in it and use it as a straight through modem and could port forward through it from a DLink 625 router.

The convenience of not having to use a computer at the far end, the internal keyer with buffer that removes latency problems and the good audio make these boxes the best way to go.

A computer is necessary at the control location if you need to run remote control programs but not at the remote site.

Anyone interested can see pictures of the three antennas used at the remote site. The Elecraft KAT500 will switch 3 antennas internally via the remote program. Go to QRZ.com and check out VE1DXA.

The Remoterig RCC-1258MkII boxes have made my TS480SAT remote station possible. There are versions available for many other radios. Don't even hesitate if you are considering setting up your own remote.

VE7IG Rating: 5/5 Feb 2, 2014 12:31 Send this review to a friend
Really Excellent!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
server at Microbit but that resolved itself eventually.

I originally purchased these units in the early summer of 1963 and set them up at home before taking them to the remote site.

NN5O Rating: 2/5 Jan 30, 2014 22:34 Send this review to a friend
Boot Camp Windows a no go  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I had hoped to use my nifty Remote Rig Micro dongle using a large sector of my MacBook Air which has W7 installed and operating as a PC. No luck. When I install the Micro in the USB slot, I get an error message "INVALID TRIAL REGISTRATION". So, the home country server at Remote Rig does not recognize its own paid for device. I have repeatedly contacted the RR folks with no luck, other than we will get to it one day. So, stay away if you have a Mac.

KQ0C Rating: 5/5 Nov 13, 2013 11:14 Send this review to a friend
Works Great  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have the 1258 control and remote radio boxes as well as several other Remote Rig accessories (the USB dongle, the antenna switch and the web switch rotor controller). Everything works perfectly. It does take some attention to detail to get all the settings right for both your radio and your internet connections. But there is a good documentation, an active support forum and great support from the manufacturer. Basically just get everything working when it is all in the same room but connected over your local network (LAN)... then move the remote radio to its true remote location and make one change in settings to incorporate the new address for the remote radio.

You can use almost any radio, but after trying a few I strongly recommend the Kenwood TS-590 if you are buying one for remote. The free Kenwood control program lets me run this radio as if it were on my desk... and does so way better than HRD.

I gain about 4 S-units between my home deep in a valley and my remote location on a hilltop. So the cost of the remote gear is pretty easily justified. This is perfect for anyone with a poor radio location or limits on what antennas you can put up at home.

W4YB Rating: 5/5 Sep 2, 2013 13:34 Send this review to a friend
works great  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Remoterig works great. It does take some knowledge of routers, etc and I did need some help with this. HRO help me set it up in a few minutes. I use it with my IC 706. It takes time and patience to make the special cable from the IC separation cable but it works almost like being at the radio. The latency is really not noticeable if you have a great internet connection. They continue to come out with new accessories which makes it more and more like being there in your shack. The one problem which is not major is that it comes from Sweden. However, the guys at HRO, especially Josh, is really knowledgeable enough to be very helpful or he can get the answer for you. I'm working now on getting a web power switch for the central power supply and the amp. I have really enjoyed it traveling since it doesn't mean you have to take a ton of equipment with you. They have software out now that takes the place of the remote unit and you can take only your computer and a good router. I use the Pepwave surf 3gand4g router which goes through a hotspot on my iphone. Most of the motels and hotels will work but occasionally it doesn't. With the hotspot you can operate anywhere there is phone service. All in all I think it is a quality product and would highly recommend it.

N5VGK Rating: 1/5 Aug 24, 2013 08:35 Send this review to a friend
power failure x 2  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
This is the SECOND one of these that has quit working. No LED for power and the host unit won't work. This unit is less than year old and has been on shelf for 4 months. I pulled it off shelf to connect today and the remote one comes on but the host won't. No activity. I just spent money to buy 2nd one. I will not do this again.

I have been to remoterig.com and cannot find way to contact them via Internet.

I am not happy camper.