Reviews Categories | Speakers for communications use | Klipsch C-1 Speaker Help

Reviews Summary for Klipsch C-1 Speaker
Klipsch C-1 Speaker Reviews: 3 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $199
Description: Specifications
FREQUENCY RESPONSE 100Hz - 23kHz +/-3dB
POWER HANDLING 50 w (200 w peak)
SENSITIVITY 93.5dB @ 2.83 volts/1 meter
NOMINAL IMPEDANCE 8 ohms
CROSSOVER FREQUENCY 3000Hz
TWEETER 0.75 (1.9cm) magnetically shielded, aluminum dome tweeter
HIGH FREQUENCY HORN 4 (10.2cm) 90 x 60 Tractrix Horn
WOOFER Two 4 (10.2cm), magnetically shielded woofers
ENCLOSURE TYPE Sealed
DIMENSIONS 6 (15.2cm) x 16 (40.6cm) x 5.25 (13.3cm)
WEIGHT 8lbs. (3.6kg)
BUILT FROM 2004
More info: http://www.klipsch.com/na-en/products/c-1-overview/

You can write your own review of the Klipsch C-1 Speaker.

JRT3 Rating: 4/5 Jan 12, 2015 08:13 Send this review to a friend
An older model - KV-2  Time owned: more than 12 months
My Klipsch KV-2, a wider (20") and heavier (13#) US made (1993-97) center channel speaker was retired from my home theater after 20+ years. It has the same two 5.25" LF and 1" horn loaded dome HF type drivers in a front ported enclosure, yielding a SPL of 92db @ 1W. Actually made in the USA, as were the four Polk large monitors I also used, you can find them in fine shape, in various wood finishes (Mine is black.), on evil-bay for $50+. It has a single post hanging off the back to adjust it's angle (Mine sat atop a large flat screen CRT for years!).

In use on my similar vintage Lowe HF-225 with a clear AM BCB station and using Sync-AM & 10 kHz it sounds good on male voices and decent on music, with piano music falling behind (Low BW won't permit enough piano harmonics to pass.). It's definitely better than the RS Minimus/Optimus-7 series on that type of use. Switching to 40mb LSB (2.2kHa BW) QSO's and the KV-2 has an improved readability. My recently purchased Infinity P143 speaker (See review.) is better on everything, especially on taking up less space! Still, if you find a decent CC speaker at a gift price, you could do a lot worse.

KD9AUR Rating: 5/5 Feb 11, 2014 17:05 Send this review to a friend
Perfect for dialog  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I need a bit more treble than most, and I have tried many, many speakers over the years. I have been using the Radio Shack Minimus 7 series, which was doing a good job, but tended to distort when I cranked up the volume on my Icom R-75.

Based on another review, the logic that a center channel speaker optimized for dialog in a home theater would be a logical choice for a communications speaker. I chose the klipsch because these are sensitive speakers that do not require a lot of power to reach decent volume levels.

The clarity of this speaker is amazing. It has eclipsed all the other speakers in my shack including the Radio Shack Minimus 7, Sounds Sweet, Palstar SP30H, and various OEM speakers from Kenwood, Drake, and Icom. The Klipsch, hooked up to my Icom R-75, sounds better than my Grundig Satellit 800 and my Eton E1. I also tried the speaker on my Drake R8B, and Jrc NRD-345 receivers, and it is just as incredible. listening to other speakers with these radios now sounds like they have a towel muffling them.

While dialog is the strength of this speaker, it also sound awesome with music. I do not have a bad thing to say about it except that it is a little on the large side, but unless you only use headphones, this is a must for your shack.

K3USC Rating: 5/5 May 3, 2010 19:57 Send this review to a friend
A crapshoot that paid off !  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I'm always looking for alternative speakers for ham use. JBL Control-One stereo speakers were my previous choice but I was never totally happy with the results. I was wondering what a center channel home theatre speaker might sound like. They are optimized for dialog so seemed like a good choice if I could find a small and efficient one that would fit into my tiny shack. My hifi background led me the Klipsch brand known for high efficiency products. The C-1 is the smallest in their line. Although Klipsch list price is $199 I immediately headed to Amazon where the C-1 is available for $ 79 with free shipping. Looking better ! But...being a frugal ham I found a nice used one for $ 41 shipped on eBay. Rolled the dice and bought it. Hooked it up to my trusty Icom IC-781 and JPS NRF-7 DSP unit. Voila ! Great audio ! It actually even sounds better (more detailed) to my ears with the grille removed but looks a bit garish so I am currently using it with the grill on. I'm not sure that the Klipsch C-1 is the end-all or that I'm the first person to try a center channel speaker on a ham rig but just want to toss out the idea to the amateur community. For the price I'm very pleased.