Reviews Categories | Antenna parts, accessories, incl. baluns, hardware, etc. | G Whip Balun Help

Reviews Summary for G Whip Balun
G Whip Balun Reviews: 28 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $35 GBP
Description: Antenna Balun 4:1 and 1:1
More info: http://www.gwhip.co.uk

You can write your own review of the G Whip Balun.

GW0UZK Rating: 5/5 Jul 25, 2014 09:31 Send this review to a friend
Highly recommended  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I am using the 4:1 current balun at the end of the ladder line of an 84' doublet with 30' of coax into the shack.
The quality of Geoffs products is outstanding and I am confident that it will continue doing it's job without a problem for many years to come.

I am going to buy another for portable use and even if the price doubled it would still be worth every penny.

M0MTJ Rating: 5/5 Jul 14, 2014 13:25 Send this review to a friend
Very efficient, works well, superb quality  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have bought a number of items from Geoff G-Whip Antenna Products over the years. Geoff's service and attention to detail is always second to none. My questions are always answered professionally and excellent advice is always forthcoming.

My most recent purchases are the 4:1 Current (Guanella) Baluns. Firstly I purchased a higher power version (400w) for my 20 metre long doublet at home. The performance increase over the previous balun was impressive. I therefore subsequently purchased the lower power version (150w) for portable and alternative locations.

The design is outstanding and the construction is truly professional - extremely solid. You will find it very difficult, if not impossible, to find anything as well made as a G-Whip design.

Impressive performance.
Outstanding build quality.
Superb service.

Highly recommended for baluns, ununs, efficient and effective and super-strong antennas.

73, Mike, M0MTJ

G1HJW Rating: 5/5 Jun 11, 2014 14:24 Send this review to a friend
Made to Last  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have Just brought a 40m to 10m Windom (OCDP) and 2x 1 to 1 Balun for use in the Far East were I am moving to at end of the year/early next year and when Geoff said to me in answer to questions to my Email's that they would stand up to anything on receiving the items I can see what geoff has said is very true, there built up to full MIL spec's.
The fittings if anything are over rated for the job, unlike other makers that make items that are not up to the job, I can see they will stand up to anything the Weather in the Far East will throw at them and I will get many hours of reliable use, If I need any other Antenna's I will know were to get them from, If you want an Antenna built to last then its got to be a G-Whip and another plus is all the extras like Heat shrink tubing and waterproofing tape are included in the package it is a real ready to go antenna,...

G4PNF Rating: 5/5 Mar 27, 2014 06:01 Send this review to a friend
Excellent   Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I am using a G Whip 4:1 current "Guanella" balun to "convert" 300 ohm ribbon feeder to coax on a 135 foot multi band doublet antenna. I was somewhat concerned about using a balun in this way and realise it is probably a compromise and the ideal way to feed a doublet would be to have balanced feeder all the way to a proper link-coupled balanced ATU. However this is simply not possible at my QTH. I have the G Whip balun mounted externally (at the end of about 40 feet of ribbon feeder) with a short length of coax from it feeding a remote RF sensing ATU.
I am absolutely delighted with the performance of this set up. It doesn't seem like a compromise. The 4:1 G Whip balun enables a very low SWR match on all bands from 80M to 10M including 60M and all the WARC bands. I mostly run 100 watts of CW and even after long periods of operation there is no significant heating of the twin balun cores on any band (and I have measured this with a non-contact infrared thermometer). I have the balun in a semi waterproof enclosure but it is a quality and robustly made product and would probably be fine exposed to the elements provide normal sealing of connections was undertaken.
I can thoroughly recommend it.

OH5YU Rating: 5/5 Nov 29, 2013 12:20 Send this review to a friend
Good price/quality  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have used a G Whip 1:4 Guanella balun in IP rated box for half a year now and I am happy with it. You can actually feel the high quality once you have it in your hands. IMO the price/quality -ratio is very good.

M0HDF Rating: 5/5 Oct 12, 2013 03:46 Send this review to a friend
Superb quality  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Bought one of the Big Boy Choke baluns 3KW PEP RG306 from Geoff. As always, good customer service and fast delivery. The product design, engineering and quality is superb.

I would highly recommend this to anybody.

73 de Angel M0HDF

2E0FTG Rating: 5/5 Sep 25, 2013 12:31 Send this review to a friend
Superb, Top Engineering  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I brought a 9:1 UNUN from Geoff on the 23/09/2013. My god I have not seen top workmanship and quality like this from anywhere in the world. I've brought stuff from DX Engineering in the past and there stuff is really top Quality too, but Geoff's items are so much better plus there made a sold in the UK so no over seas charges to worry about. At first I had the 9:1 UNUN at the base of my home made 33 foot vertical ground mounted with only one 20 meter radial and it worked better than any vertical I have spent on with ease no question and its made me contacts to country's I have never been able to work before with only 20 Watts. Today 25/09/2013 I'm now trying it with 66 foot of flexi weave wire in a horizontal square configuration about 12 foot off the ground and a earth wire strait to a ground rod driven into the ground about 12 feet below the 9:1 UNUN, even in this configuration it has performed extremely well so far.
Thanks to Geoff for such top quality items keep up he good work, I will also be buying a top quality choke at some point from Geoff in the next few days.
If you need a Balun, UNUN or any wire antenna made to top quality standards and to last a lifetime don't hesitate go to Geoff at G-Whip Antennas.

M0MAQ Rating: 5/5 Sep 14, 2013 10:51 Send this review to a friend
Base and balun antennas  Time owned: more than 12 months
Just wanted to add over the past few years iv purchased several antennas from Geoff resulting in some of the best contacts iv ever achieved, the quality, design and build is second to none. As well as the G Whip base antenna i recently purchased the multi band and a choke, within minutes the results and easy of use was exceptional, in the early days iv bought some antennas which when you got them home never lived up to what they say they do. I am so confident whenever I buy a G Whip antenna it will perform as expected, confident the quality will last for many years.

G7HZZ Rating: 5/5 Aug 9, 2013 05:54 Send this review to a friend
Very very good  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have been using a G Whip 1:1 balun rated at 400W and it simply does what it is supposed to do. It is heavy though, and ultimately I have chosen to use it with an Inverted Vee antenna so that it can be well supported, rather than a 'flat-top'. Performance is great.

G4ABX Rating: 5/5 Jul 23, 2013 02:55 Send this review to a friend
The best 40 I've spent in a long time!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
My antenna is an OCF 'Buckmaster' dipole. After 5 years in the air, The balun failed and its unserviceable. The wire was fine so I thought I would replace the balun assembly and give it a try.

I looked at all the options -- including winding one myself but the costs for a 400Watt guanella balun parts alone came to the wrong side of 60 and then I had to construct the device.

How Geoff at G-whip manages to make, package and supply a military grade quality Balun for 40 with recorded delivery, next day I simply can't work out!

First class service in every department: Communications, Advice, Manufacture, Purchase, Packaging and Delivery.
Absolutely Brilliant!

As far as I am concerned, G-Whip set the benchmark for other suppliers to attain.