Reviews Categories | Headphones & Boom-mic Headsets | Icom VS-1L PTT/VOX and HS-95 Headset Help

Reviews Summary for Icom VS-1L PTT/VOX and HS-95 Headset
Reviews: 3 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $180
Description: PTT/VOX unit, and outdoor tactical headset with over-the-ear speaker for Icom hand-held radios.
More info: http://www.icomuk.co.uk/categoryRender.asp?categoryID=3760

You can write your own review of the Icom VS-1L PTT/VOX and HS-95 Headset.

VE7AGW Rating: 5/5 Sep 16, 2013 18:53 Send this review to a friend
Nice sound  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Picked a set of these from an eBay seller and was surprised at how well they are put together. I'm using them on an IC-W32A and am very impressed with the quality of sound and the audio reports I've been given so far. I like the behind the ear as I wear a baseball cap or a Stetson at most events I use my handheld at and I don't care for the in-the ear type speakers as they don't seem to have very good audio quality. This set is very comfortable to wear for extended periods and the price was really good from eBay; don't know that I would pay the list price for the headset as it seems very pricy from $150 and up just for the headset. The VS-1L PTT/VOX unit seems to be a lot more responsive than the HS-51 unit I was using. The VOX gain control adjustment has a wider range of adjustment which is good depending on your voice pitch. I have to replace the ear phone and microphone foam soaks so it will be interesting to see what Icom will charge for them.

W4RMS Rating: 5/5 Jun 23, 2013 14:08 Send this review to a friend
Not for ID 51a  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Love the HS-95! Very comfortable and adjusts easily. Outstanding sound and mike with ID 51A. VS-1L will not work with ID 51A.... Get headphone adapter cable OPC 2006LS

AH6RH Rating: 5/5 May 8, 2010 23:52 Send this review to a friend
Great headset  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I like the headset. In terms of functionality, it's similar to the Telex Combat Stinger in the sense that the wire frame wraps behind your head, and holds the boom mike and over-the-ear (not in-your-ear) speaker. You can wear a baseball cap or helmet and not get the usual over-the-head frame in the way.

There is a rubber strap in the back that you can adjust the fitting around your head. The strap has holes and catches, similar to the way you adjust the back of a baseball cap.

The over-the-ear speaker allows you to hear your surrounding sound, and still have good audio from the radio. The pivot on the speaker is not as robust as the Combat Stinger, so don't try to force it away from your ear. It's a good placement--just over your ear, so you don't get ear discomfort fatigue from an earplug-like headset in your ear, nor heat build-up from having foam padding on your outer ear.

There is a switch selector on the side for VOX or PTT operation. You can jack in different headsets/earpieces into the bottom of the VOX/PTT handset, but I prefer a behind-the-head frame. The VOX/PTT unit uses the standard Icom twin jack for the microphone and earphone that's been their standard since the introduction of the Icom IC-2AT about 1980.

It's a little pricey, but I really like the functionality. I really like the right side and left side being symmetric and hang over your ears equally, rather than having a different ear frame on the right side as in certain models of the Telex Stinger. It's like wearing a pair of sunglasses with the glasses behind your head, and having the ear piece hang in the front -- very comfortable in the long run.

Got good reports on the TX audio, and the RX audio seems fine. What more can I say. This is the headset that's now in my outdoor go-bag.