Reviews Categories | Amplifiers: RF Power - HF & HF+6M | Henry Tempo 2000 Help

Reviews Summary for Henry Tempo 2000
Henry Tempo 2000 Reviews: 3 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $350
Description: 10-80 meter HF amp. Born with 3-400 tube (X2) 2KW input.

You can write your own review of the Henry Tempo 2000.

KG4FET Rating: 5/5 Jan 14, 2013 07:45 Send this review to a friend
Still the one!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have really had a chance to give this amp a work out now. All of the previous info is still accurate but a couple things to add.

Driving it with 100 watts isn't an issue, drives the amp to well within specs. Not something I do often but tried it for a while to see how she would do. This amp was made before 1500 watt output was legal so don't be fooled by the 1000 watt INPUT tuning specs newbies because she will do legal limit output.

This was/is a Johnson amplifier. It is a repackaged Johnson Thunderbolt II under the Henry name. Johnson sold these to Henry to be repackaged during the Johnson closeout of it's amateur division. This info came direct from Henry.

You will find very little info on this amp and none on the Tbolt II on web. Keep that in mind when you go to research it. I am always willing to answer questions about mine if you need help.

KG4FET Rating: 5/5 Oct 23, 2012 14:47 Send this review to a friend
Great amp!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just added this on the station recently and the more comfortable I get with it the better I like it. Open the case on this thing and she is built like a tank but very crowded layout. Mine still has the 2x3-400's in it. Has been modded for NO rather then the specified NC relay operation, per a factory bulletin included with the original manual. Having a KW+ amp on the bench has been a new experience that will do full output on 80/40/20/17/15 and 10 and slightly lower on 12M. 17 was tuned on the 15M tap with no issues and 12 on the 10M tap. This is a great addition and will be used daily. As I get to know her better I'll add to this review as there is little info on the internet regarding this wonderful piece of gear

N5VU Rating: 4/5 May 15, 2010 19:47 Send this review to a friend
A work horse!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is a typical amp of Henry quality, sorta. According to Henry, this amp was made by Johnson and sold under the Henry name? Regardless, it still has the Henry quality to it. In many ways it's the normal two tube GG amp with 3-400 tubes. I understand that Art Collins was the individual who prompted the development of the 3-400 tube.

Of course, I received my Tempo 2000 without tubes. Bummer! Richardson ELectronices found some for me in Europe for $800.00 each. Yes, I said, "No thank you, have a good day, bye."

The tube compartment is too short for 3-500Zs. However, modifications can be made. I dropped the sockets 1/4" and installed a "Shorty" plate cap and war-lar, they fit with a 1/4" to spare. Actually, 1/4" is enough room for about 10KV as far as arc over goes.

I can get 1200 watts (CW) out of it with 90 watts drive.

Some odd things about this old gentelman:

1) The tubes are in series. I.e., a 10 volt transformer for the filaments.

2) The PTT (keying) connection requires a normally closed circuit for receive. I.e., you pick the relay for receive and open the line for transmit.

3) Unlike the Heathkit SB-220, it doesn't have 120 VDC on the cathode bias in receive. It has a 47K resistor tide to ground from the filament centertap for both.

4) It comes with a 100 watt dummy load to tune your (tube) transmitter.

5) It has a coax connection that you can plug a receiver on the back. I.e., it has a T/R relay function if you had seperate TX and RX. You can switch this circuit in or out per your needs.

6) Lastly, there is no tuned input. Two 3-400 (or 3-500Z) tubes give you a close enough match. I got about a 1.5:1 match. I simply use the tuner in my rig to offset the SWR.

Overall, it was weird but interesting design. However, I made some changes. As follows:

1) Remodeled the T/R relay to function like the Heathkit. N.O. for receive.

2) I Stuck with the 47K bias resistor but added 8 diodes in series and simply short out the resistor with a relay contacts on TX. TX idle current is about 140 ma.

3) Of course I replaced the power supply rectifiers and caps.

Oh yes, the Ip meter just goes to 800 ma. It's very interesting to tune above 800 ma of plate current. I just keep the Ig at no more than 200 ma and it seems to operate OK.

Most old AMPS of this vintage are usually put up on a shelf and placed into retirement. Not this old gentelman, he still clocks in for work. I don't work him too hard, he's mostly my 75 meter Arkansas Razorback Net "Door Greeter." Just 2 hours a day is all he works.

It's "GOOD" kinda like the old Heathkit SB-220. I like it a lot!